The first AE recall???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 06 AE #00060 was completed on Wednesday. Its a joke for YamaMama to say it can be done in .8 hours. More like 2 tough hours. I also can not tell any difference in the shifting, it works just fine. My actuator was replaced. Yep, so much for technology, but I bought the Warranty insurance until 2010.

+1 on the "labor allowance" - 0.8 hrs my ass! Craparral, aka: Chaparral Motorsports dicked around for 5 hours. :angry:

Thankfully the shift actuator and shift shaft were press fit correctly and did not need replacement! :D

The only problem experienced was the shift light came on after they installed the kit. A little adjustment to the shifter was needed to reset the shift light / indicator.

All is good now for AE #000058.

Had my shift linkage TSB done today.

Torque checked out fine (no new servo needed). Torque test took all of 10 minutes (mostly putting it on the service jack, and pulling the left cover)

Bracket install took about an hour.

Ward's Yamaha did a great job, and appeared to know what they were doing. If you're not sure about your dealer, and are close to Troy, AL -- give them a call.

I would leave the bracket "off". They worry about law suits but it will only break if you hit it with a hammer IMO.

Not true! Remove the shift actuator cover and "push/pull" with your fingers and you will instantly know why this bracket is necessary.

The brackets (2) are approximately 1/4 inch thick. One bracket is mounted on each side of the shift actuator. Holes are drilled and larger bolts installed.

Without the modification the shift actuator "flexes" when shifting. The continued flexing could cause cracking at the bolt holes after extended operation.

After the new brackets are installed, the actuator is solid in its position and does not flex. It actually makes a slightly noticeable positive difference in shifting.

I recommend having this fix accomplished at your earliest opportunity.

The kit will probably have to be ordered so contact the dlr in advance so they can order the kit. The job takes about 45 minutes if the mechanic has had experience installing the kit. Probably a little longer if your bike happens to be their first one.

After the new brackets are installed, the actuator is solid in its position and does not flex. It actually makes a slightly noticeable positive difference in shifting.
Mine failed the torque test, got the new shift actuator installed w/ brackets yesterday and WOW what a difference in shifting. Much improved from what I thought was pretty good to begin with.