The Heat is Tamed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along the same lines as this thread, does anyone think that mounting these on the windshield edges would accomplish the same thing as the wings?

Air Deflectors

Please don't flame me because they are for an HD.

Great detective work MNFJR05....

Brainstorming had me at the same conclusion, but you actually engineered a prototype.

Since your original post is a couple months old, any new comments to add?

What was the cost of those two Baker GL1800 wings?

Great detective work MNFJR05....
Brainstorming had me at the same conclusion, but you actually engineered a prototype.

Since your original post is a couple months old, any new comments to add?

What was the cost of those two Baker GL1800 wings?
Cooler weather is upon us here, and I'm finding the wings ability to deflect air outwards when angled in is equally effective. I paid $45 at a local GW supplier.

I am meeting with Bruce Baker face to face tomorrow (Saturday). He has samples in hand for both mirror styles that I will be bring home to test fit. A few people have expressed interest in other wing colors (namely blue and dark smoke) and I am going to explore adding those as options with Bruce.

Skyway is busy on the FJR and FZ1 mounts. They are fairly complicated to make. They will follow the stalk contours and will be as unobstrusive as we can make them. A black anodized finish will allow them to blend right in with the stalks.

I have a local shop lined up for the G-Mount extensions.

I will be posting the pictures as soon as I can. As soon as I can get production ramped up I will email all who have expressed interest with details.

Until I get final pricing from the vendors I don't know the final cost for the group buy yet. I am planning on handling all of the orders and shipping. You will be able to make a single payment to me and you wings and mounts will arrive in a single package.

I have had several inquiries from the '06 crowd. Once this wave passes I am looking for an '06 locally here in the MSP area to test. I have the design done, I just need a bike to do the mockup on and get the wing angles to match the mirror profile.

:yahoo:

Does anyone know if the windshield mod that several riders have tried (cut holes at the bottom of the shield like the Cal scinetific model) also helps with the heat issue at the rear of the fuel tank?
When I ride I hold my left hand down by my knee and direct "scoop" air on to my crotch. If I sit back slightly back from the tank I can feel the cool air go up my left leg, accross the tank and exit on the inside of my right leg. I woulder if the wings provide the same cooling effect???
I have found my 04 to be a tad warmish.I am new to here and can tell you that anyone who has ridden the GL1800 appreciates anything that can cool you down.Great ride but just too damn heavy and hot!The aerodynamics of that machine are too good.I don't know about some of you but part of the joys of riding is finding economical solutions to a problem.

I am meeting with Bruce Baker face to face tomorrow (Saturday). He has samples in hand for both mirror styles that I will be bring home to test fit. A few people have expressed interest in other wing colors (namely blue and dark smoke) and I am going to explore adding those as options with Bruce.
Skyway is busy on the FJR and FZ1 mounts. They are fairly complicated to make. They will follow the stalk contours and will be as unobstrusive as we can make them. A black anodized finish will allow them to blend right in with the stalks.

I have a local shop lined up for the G-Mount extensions.

I will be posting the pictures as soon as I can. As soon as I can get production ramped up I will email all who have expressed interest with details.

Until I get final pricing from the vendors I don't know the final cost for the group buy yet. I am planning on handling all of the orders and shipping. You will be able to make a single payment to me and you wings and mounts will arrive in a single package.

I have had several inquiries from the '06 crowd. Once this wave passes I am looking for an '06 locally here in the MSP area to test. I have the design done, I just need a bike to do the mockup on and get the wing angles to match the mirror profile.

:yahoo:

Hi MNFJR05

believe it or not, we can get the same heat problems here in England!!!

Did you succeed with commercial production of your wings and am I able to buy some from you?

Mine is an original 01 FJR with the standard mirrors.

Hope to hear.

Kind regards

Hi MNFJR05
believe it or not, we can get the same heat problems here in England!!!

Did you succeed with commercial production of your wings and am I able to buy some from you?

Mine is an original 01 FJR with the standard mirrors.

Hope to hear.

Kind regards
Try this thread for a look at how some of us have hooked up air wings using garauld's light mounts. radman posted pics of his set-up. I copied his.

Got a chance to try something today .

I removed the small black plastic air dam that is between the forks on the underside of my tripple tree.I seemed to get more air flow from below the handlebars .

The removal lessened the back pressure from behind the windshield.

By lowering the back pressure I had less heat being sucked up from arround my legs .

The down side is I got a little more engine noise.

Has anyone else tried this ?

Got a chance to try something today .I removed the small black plastic air dam that is between the forks on the underside of my tripple tree.I seemed to get more air flow from below the handlebars .

By lowering the back pressure I had less heat being sucked up from arround my legs .

Jarmo, I always thought the black deflector between the forks was to make sure the wind went thru the radiator? Any changes to the number of bars showing when you're running slowly down the road?

Jim

Got a chance to try something today .I removed the small black plastic air dam that is between the forks on the underside of my tripple tree.I seemed to get more air flow from below the handlebars .

Jarmo, I always thought the black deflector between the forks was to make sure the wind went thru the radiator? Any changes to the number of bars showing when you're running slowly down the road?

Jim
Haven't checked on status of temp bars yet .I just took her for a short ride this afternoon with the bags off . I will do some more checking on this .