Things we learn from the movies.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When a handbrake turn is required or you need to skid to a stop, there are always tyre marks in the road to indicate where to do it. (Almost as if it has been done twice before).

When the door is opened after a side impact is taken to your car, the hinges have been shattered as if they were glass and the door drops neatly off the vehicle.

Phasers can do just about anything.

Doctors in the ER department can speak at a speed at which no normal human can take on board the information, but luckily they all understand each other and miss-interpretations are never made. No-one ever says pardon me? or sorry I missed that?

Likewise when a trauma patient is handed over by the paramedics a fast rundown of their condition including any drugs given is always ok, no need to worry about distractions the doc will hear and remember every detail.

ER doctors can go through life changing traumas and just turn up for work next day no problem.

When they turn up for work there is no discussion with anyone about......saving a woman from a bus hanging over a cliff and getting out just before it tipped over the edge or getting kidnapped and held at gunpoint for a day or being injected with a fluid that completely paralyses you and then being tied to a trolly or going to Africa and being held at gunpoint seconds from death etc etc. yesterday/last week....all apparantly every day stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things we learn from the movies? Don't waste your money..... :glare:

A few things I've noticed:

Sharks, squid and other sea creatures "growl" when attacking. This with no vocal chords.

(Think: Jaws!)

Sound does travel in a vacuum. How else would we hear space ships/stations explode.

There is always appropriate music behind every chase scene. No wonder "real" cops can't catch the bad guys....silence causes them to be/think too slowly.

There is always appropriate "mood" music in romantic scenes. No wonder we "mere mortals" can't compare. First, there's the "looks thing". Secondly, who can afford the philharmonic orchestra?

Pick any breed you like. But if you pick Collie, sooner or later, you'll end up under a tractor.

In most monster movies, the monster/dinosaur/whatever, does not hesitate to kill every one it stalks in the group, except the star, in which case, the monster/dinosaur/whatever will catch them, slowly walk around them once cornered and add suspense just long enough that something else will intervene.

Along those lines, even though bad guys shoot at you, try to ram you, push you off a plane to kill you, when they finally catch you, they spend at least three of four minutes talking to you. THEN, they come up with some elaborate plan for your demise rather than just put a bullet through your head.

ear protection is not needed when shooting guns indoors - its just a little "pop" and you then talk normally.

ear protection is not needed when shooting guns indoors - its just a little "pop" and you then talk normally.
actually, i've known people in critical self-defense situations that report exactly that. they are so focused on the "event" that the report from the gun is heard as a distant "pop". they may report ringing ears later, after they have time to settle down a little but, during the course of the event, not so much. this is known as Tachypsychia. it's also attributed to why so many self-defense scenarios, against an armed attacker, end up with the attacker shot in the hand instead of "center mass". the tunnel vision and focus of the defender can often be so focused on the source of the threat (gun, knife, etc.) that the defensive shot is placed there instead of as trained for (center mass).

but yeah, "talking normally" probably wouldn't happen afterwards because you'd be either coming off an adrenaline surge or an emotional trauma.

actually, i've known people in critical self-defense situations that report exactly that. they are so focused on the "event" that the report from the gun is heard as a distant "pop".
I can say from first hand experience from being involved in self defense shootings, that neither time did I hear my gun go off. No ringing ears, no long term effects. Truly bizarre!

When a person holding a Glock pistol in a tense scene wants to reinforce how serious they are at shooting the person on the other end of the barrel they will cock the gun with a satsifying clicking sound......even though this particular model can't physically be cocked.

The corollary is that after they empty the massively large clip of the Glock and not hit anything the slide will be in it's open position, but the shooter will then pull the trigger one more time and a click will be heard.....even though this particular model's trigger can't be pulled anymore.

When cars with layers of paint hit galvanized steel guardrails they always make flurries of sparks.

Soda cans are either always either turned so you can perfectly make out the brand or turned away so you can't read the label.

Hotwiring cars always involves reaching under the dash and pulling two loose wires down and making them spark, but never seem to deal with a locked steering wheel.

- Cracking a triple DES encryption key can be accomplished on any old laptop in less than a minute.

- Screaming babies are banned from all public places (drama or horror films excluded.)

- You can jump a bus across a 60+ foot gap.

And my all time favorite (next to tires squealing on gravel)...

- Bullets shot by a bad guy will never penetrate drywall, empty 55 gal drums, car doors, etc.

(Mostly applies to good guys too.)

Women get clumsy when being chased by evil people/things

Every story has a happy ending (makes me wanna barf!)

And one sorta related to the movies: All the "heroes" deserve a big award banquet at the end of the season based on peer review, regardless of whether the ultimate consumer thought it was worth a $h!t (another barf inducing moment)

- Bullets shot by a bad guy will never penetrate drywall, empty 55 gal drums, car doors, etc. (Mostly applies to good guys too.)
I always, love how you can safely hide behing a kitchen table.

Have you ever shot a bowling ball? Thats what I want to hide behind.

We shot one about 20 times with a .357 mag, 9mm, and a 45 ACP, using JHP rounds. That sucker was still about 60% there

Women get clumsy when being chased by evil people/things
Every story has a happy ending (makes me wanna barf!)

And one sorta related to the movies: All the "heroes" deserve a big award banquet at the end of the season based on peer review, regardless of whether the ultimate consumer thought it was worth a $h!t (another barf inducing moment)

No matter how slowly the killer WALKS after you, you can never outRUN him.

*All small arms-impacted aircraft immediately misfire, go out of control and ooze red fluid.

*Women are supportive, understanding, responsible, accountable, and unselfish.

*After surviving a hail of gunfire, explosions, crashes, falls, brawls, blood loss, and witnessing the death of innocents, there will be no rest or reflection or post traumatic stress disorder.

or

Losing someone close to you is easily shrugged off for sake of the next goal.

*Heroes only cry if the dog dies.

*People only have sex at night.

*If you are un employed, you too can afford a downtown studio apartment and make art.

*Wealthy people are Republicans (far the contrary to my experience in the flying industry)

*Favorable Politicos are NOT Republican.

*If you smoke, you are either single, a cop, or European.

*Children between 1 and 5 do not exist. (impossible to control on the shoot)

*One of your team members is gay.

*The person you love the most loves someone else more than you or is dying.

*Sophistocated people have cats.

*Gang members have a soft side and would be good, intelligent, upright citizens if only "___-____" (insert urban-styled nickname) hadn't gone off to do that score and gotten them involved.

*There is no good reason to accurately depict historical events.

*There is no good reason to accurately depict scientific fact in doomsday documentary.

*Rock stars die of overdoses...wait a minute...

*Thin Minority women get cheated on.

*Thick Minority women say "MMMM-HM" or "UUHHHH-HUH".

*Well educated rookie cops/Feds only bend the rule book after the married woman they want to screw gets beat up by the husband/bad guy(s).

*People that attend Church never **** you out of money.

*People that run the Church always **** you out of money.

*All Teams win after a good speech.

*All speeches win over juries regardless of law or evidence.

*Movies of Shakespeare's works do not replace Cliff's Notes.

- Cops apparently never have a round chambered prior to encountering a bad guy or entering a house
now THERE'S one that always tickes me off!

anyone (good guy or bad) who is confronting an opponent and holding them at gunpoint (shotgun, pistol, etc.) will talk to the detainee for a while and THEN rack a round into the chamber when they need to up their threats to the detainee.

- wtf? the gun was effectively UNLOADED the whole time or did you just choose to throw away a round for sake of appearances?
dang if they didn't do this very thing on HEROES last night. here is this woman, holding a man at shotgun point for minutes. then she wants to "up her threat" so racks the slide for emphasis. WTF? she was pointing an unloaded weapon at him all the time before? DUMB DUMB DUMB!

- Cops apparently never have a round chambered prior to encountering a bad guy or entering a house
now THERE'S one that always tickes me off!

anyone (good guy or bad) who is confronting an opponent and holding them at gunpoint (shotgun, pistol, etc.) will talk to the detainee for a while and THEN rack a round into the chamber when they need to up their threats to the detainee.

- wtf? the gun was effectively UNLOADED the whole time or did you just choose to throw away a round for sake of appearances?
dang if they didn't do this very thing on HEROES last night. here is this woman, holding a man at shotgun point for minutes. then she wants to "up her threat" so racks the slide for emphasis. WTF? she was pointing an unloaded weapon at him all the time before? DUMB DUMB DUMB!
Remember Lethal Weapon 2, when Riggs ups his threat to the S. African guy by pulling the hammer back... and actually fires a shot into the tank of priceless tropical fish... Much better effect IMO. We should live in that world. Asshole tries to cheat or harm you... it should be your God-given right to fire a warning shot into whatever the **** you want without legal reprisals... just like in the movies.

When depth charged, it's always a pipe that lets loose in the sub, never the hull, which is good, cuz a pull of a nearby lever or twist of a nearby valve always stops the flow.

Hotwiring cars always involves reaching under the dash and pulling two loose wires down and making them spark, but never seem to deal with a locked steering wheel.
And the wires are always conveniently stripped for easier sparking connections!