Thinking of FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMdcporter

Reaction score
Gang,

I would like some help please. I visited a dealer and I liked what I saw in the FJR. My ST was totaled last week and I need another bike. I heard on the ST forum how much better the ST is but I would like to hear from you on the FJR.

Thanks again,

Dave

Well Dave, what can I say? The ST is a nice bike. I tried a couple, myself. The FJR is just more sport, less goldwing. The FJR is faster, handles better, brakes better, is cooler on the rider, is more stable at high speed, and just plain feels better. It's also better looking, weighs less, and is a bit more exclusive. You may find the seating position a little less comfortable, but there are easy fixes for that (if you do). A set of risers cured the problem, for me.

I can't say a much bad about the ST1300, but I can say more that's good about the FJR. If you think you might want one, go try one.

Honda does give a better warranty. 3 years with roadside assistance, included. You have to purchase Yamaha's YES plan, but it isn't expensive, gives you longer coverage, and the FJR is still cheaper than the ST.

I think the FJR is more bike, and a better bike, for the buck. You'll have to decide, for yourself.

Uhhh... P.S.: The ST1300 is kinda gay-looking. Don't you think?

Nice reply thanks another question I'm about 5'5" is there anyway to get lower to the ground on the FJR? On my ST I had the seat redone, it got me 1/2 inch. My in-seam is only 30 inches so I need to figure out how to lower it.

Nice reply thanks another question I'm about 5'5" is there anyway to get lower to the ground on the FJR? On my ST I had the seat redone, it got me 1/2 inch. My in-seam is only 30 inches so I need to figure out how to lower it.

Same for the feej. We have some vertically challenged people here. Also, the FJ seat can be lowered 1 inch just by flipping the frame under the seat. The 08's can, not sure how far back that option goes.

Well, I'm a pretty new fjr owner (abt 5 weeks now) and have over 3K miles on it. Its a keeper. I sold my wing last fall & really looked into the st, c14 & fjr before making my decision. For me it is the right choice.

I also have a 30" inseam & have no problem with my feet on the ground. I did just (yesterday) order a Russell seat. After one moderate day in the saddle (650 miles) I knew the stock seat wasn't made for my ample ass. I'm looking forward to some LD riding on this bike!

Gang,
I would like some help please. I visited a dealer and I liked what I saw in the FJR. My ST was totaled last week and I need another bike. I heard on the ST forum how much better the ST is but I would like to hear from you on the FJR.

Thanks again,

Dave
The FJR is great motorcycle. I looked at the ST 1300 and both the FJR. Several motorcycle periodicals recently compared the Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW, and the Honda. The results were actually in that order. The Kawasaki feels much taller than the FJR and it seems like it has a more "leaned over" position it.

David

P.S. The FJR is the cheapest in cost out of all four

Gang,

Thanks again,

Dave
From my experience prior to buying my FJR, the ST is a good machine, the FJR is a great machine. Likely get a FJR cheaper too, which for me means a little more spend for farkles.

On this forum, we only speak the truth. :)

I rented an ST1300 for a few days to see how I would like it in 2006 with the intention of selling/trading my ST1100 at that time. I ended up keeping the 1100 for two more years. I was not yet ready at admit that a Yamaha could be a viable option, I didn't want a Gold Wing, and the ST1300 just didn't offer enough better compared to the ST1100 to convince me to go that route. I generally have 3 to 5 bikes in the garage, and I am a fickle guy, so stuff moves in and out all the time. The ST1100 was great for its day. The ST1300 just didn't impress me as much for its day.

I have been considering a BMW K1200GT for purchase at the end of the current riding season. I love my 07 K1200Rsport, and since the K1200GT shares the same engine with slightly different tuning, it seemed like a natural choice for me.

I came upon a leftover 06 FJR1300AE in early June, and I took a test ride. I bought the bike and have been very happy with it during the first 2000 miles. I can honestly say that the FJR has pushed any thoughts about picking up a leftover 08 K1200GT far out to the back burner... and perhaps even off the stove.

Compared to the ST1300, the FJR is lighter, more powerful, and easier for basic maintenance (like oil and filter changes). It feels less like a tank. Its no sport bike in spite of assertions you will hear to the contrary... but it is a heck of a lot more sporty than either of the STs.

I had to get a Sargent seat for it to be comfortable on longer rides, but I had a Corbin on my ST1100, and probably would have gone to an aftermarket seat on an ST1300 too after my experience with the rental unit.

You might want to try a rental and see what you think? I'm sold on the FJR and expect it to be my saddlebag bike for at least a couple of years, maybe longer. Its not giving me any reasons to want something else right now, and that's unusual for me. Hey - the best bike is always the next bike ;) .

I have been riding Hondas exclusively for 50 years including 5 ST1100s, and 5 Goldwings (all of them including the 1800). I bought an 06 AE and love it. Much better handling and performance and better looking, for what that's worth. Those guys on the dark side would have you belive the ST1300 is a better bike, but it is really a personal preference thing. If you like the Goldwing type ride and don't mind the engine heat, the ST is better. If you want a bit of performance and sport and value handling and NO heat (on the 06 and later), then get the FJR. YM :yahoo: :yahoo: MV

Ed

The ST definately leans more on the Touring side of Sport Touring, comfy for touring but a handful when things get sporty.

The FJR is a real Sport Tourer, fast but comfy for long trips too.

The Triumph Sprint ST is more on the Sport side of Sport Touring, sporty but gets painful on long trips.

The BMW is on the expensive side and probably fits between the Honda and Yami.

Take ya pick!

ST:

• Better wind protection
  • No damage when dropped (@0 mph)
  • Better standard warranty
  • Terrible stock seat
  • Engine slightly on the boring side (but will go 200,000+ miles)
  • Fat pig
  • Ugly without bags
  • Needs premium gas
  • Heat issue still unresolved

FJR:

• Needs after-market shield for LD touring
  • The engine screams
  • Needs more farkles to get it just right
  • Drop it and you'll be sorry (needs frame sliders)
  • Exhaust note is really, really nice!
  • More fun in the twisties
  • Stock seat almost good enough to keep
  • Easy routine maintenance (even I can do it!)
  • Happy with regular gas
  • Heat issue resolved with 06 model year
  • Sportbike look with bags off

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'5.5" and the fist 15 minute I found out I needed to lower it. Took the seat to the upholstery shop where he took off some from the top and sides. Purchased some links to lower the bike 1". Dropped the forks 3/4". I can now put my feet on the ground, not flat but almost.

:yahoo:

I have an 06 A model with about 8000 miles. LOVE the bike. Inseam 29. BARELY flat foot it using a little imagination. I dropped it at zero mph before the frame sliders came in. Get the frame sliders. A joy to ride especially if you lean toward (no pun intended) sportier side. Doubt you would be disappointed.

I have owned a st1100, a 2001 concours, a 03 st1300 and now an 08 fjr1300a. I agree with the pros and cons of the previous posts.. I love the motor on the FJR!

Gang,

Thanks again,

Dave
I would have to know your age,if you are 80 plus get the ST if you are 79 and under you owe it to yourself to buy a FJR.

I have an appointment with the dealership to review FJR, I cannot ride right now I'm recovering from accident (totaled ST1300 tangled with garbage truck) :clapping: . I'm leaning towards the FJR just trying to see how I can get it lowered and if dealer will do it. I'm looking at an 07. I do have another question on how do you attach GPS. On my ST I had a ram ball set up between handlebars that I put my Garmin on.

I really appreciate all the replies even the "troll" :glare: comment. Oh and I'm 50 years young.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: