Time for a new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can not let Skooter off the hook on this comment -

You are correct, sir. Yes, my beloved Corps is a department of the Navy...

Of course if you had been ex-Navy, you would have righted the bike after low-siding and continued right along, full speed ahead............ :)
The Men's Department.

Of course if you had been ex-Navy, you would have righted the bike after low-siding and continued right along, full speed ahead............ :)
The Men's Department.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Uuuuuuuhhh Raaaaaahhh!

Tuesday, 16 October 2012, I asked just a little too much from vader in reacting to a vehicle that I thought was going to hit me.

The first thing that came into view was the front bumper of a tan Honda Accord This gentleman was an attentive,skilled driver and was on the brakes hard giving me room to tumble.

I am very thankful for those who stopped.

Drivers in this area show no concern for others around them in traffic.
I suspect I'll get dogpiled for this, but ....

Wayne, like everyone else, I'm THRILLED that you were in ATGATT and your guardian angel was fluttering about :clapping:

We're always waxing not-so-eloquent about shitty, inattentive car drivers. Probably all of us are car drivers. I consider myself a better car driver because of my motorcycle miles - which far out-weigh the ones I put on the Volvo (hahaha - see the irony here? I have a vehicle at each end of the safety spectrum :blink: )

From Wayne's post... clearly, not ALL cagers are bad, inattentive drivers. Nor are they inconsiderate.

Regarding cars versus motorcycles, as my mechanics pointed out when they were trying to convince me to change my tire rather than plug it, I have only 2 wheels. And, as my doc friends point out, I'm waaaay more vulnerable to potentially catastrophic injury on the bike than I am in a car. Points taken.

A car - instead of Wayne's bike - might well have been put in the same position on that on-ramp and there'd have been no repercussions. Yeah, I have a point to make....

Any time there's a multi-vehicle incident, culpability isn't always cut-and-dried.

IMnasHO, it'd be great if we'd stop hammering car drivers (it's old and, I suspect, nothing's going to change no matter how many bikes are on the road or how many LED lights they have on them), post up our experiences for learning purposes and continue to maintain the vigilance that's going to keep our butts out of trouble. I'm pretty much a nothenarian so I'm not getting into the insha'Allah thing.

OK - back to regular programming :rolleyes: (be gentle with me)

We're always waxing not-so-eloquent about shitty, inattentive car drivers. Probably all of us are car drivers. I consider myself a better car driver because of my motorcycle miles - which far out-weigh the ones I put on the Volvo (hahaha - see the irony here? I have a vehicle at each end of the safety spectrum :blink: )
And statistically, dear girl, you'd be right in extrapolating that conclusion to the general population of motorcycle riders when they drive cars. In fact, in some states, and with some underwriters, having a motorcycle endorsement gives you a discount on your auto insurance in recognition of that general statistical fact.

I suspect the reason is that, to be a successful (long time surviving) motorcycle rider, you better put your mind to what you're doing, notice the conditions, the line and everything else in your dynamic roadway environment. Treating it like a sport like most motorcyclists do, instead of as a routine activity that is but a nominal part of a multitasking day, will tend to make that so. I believe it was Nick Ienatsch who recommended practicing motorcycle attention exercises while driving your car (e.g., looking all the way through turns, scanning back to road surface and forward again, staying religiously between the lines, etc.) will make you a better rider (and automobile driver). I've done that ever since I read that excellent suggestion. I've also noticed that in skiing all my life, the same attention to snow surface, obstacles, lines and other skiers is nearly innate in the enjoyment of the sport. Skiing and riding motorcycles seem both to have a different focus than the mere transportation utility that automobile driving is to too many drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Ellen – you bring up some valid points fordiscussion. I would agree that not everydriver licensed in the state of Michigan is a below average driver. What I would say is that based on myexperiences this riding season (which started around the beginning of March)have established the grounds for my opinion that more often than not, those whoI witness during the commute are below average drivers. I have made the same commute morning andnight for over a year, 45 miles one way. I have ridden 4-5 days a week this year, taking my Jeep for crappyweather or if other things on my do-to list dictate. I have witnessed just as many close calls inmy Jeep as on the bike, but have been the victim more on the bike. From improper lane changes (no signal, notchecking blind spot), following too close, wandering in the lane, using asmartphone, GPS, etc.

In most cases, it seems driver inattention and / or driverdistraction are a contributing factor if not the primary factor. Many vehicles today have the blind spotmonitoring systems – the little orange light in the mirror or on the dash thelights up when there is a vehicle in the blind spot. These systems work well – I have seen themilluminated as I move alongside the car on the bike. I have also had cars change lanes in mydirection with this warning system illuminated. The car is telling the driver that it is not safe to change lanes, butthey are changing lanes anyways with no signal, no head check, nothing. I have been crowded more than once this yearboth on the bike and in my Jeep in this manner. Why? Distraction or carelessness?No consequences for the cager vs. a motorcycle?

I remember from my days as a MSF ridercoach there beingmention that motorcycle riders do tend to be more attentive car drivers – we carrythe habits from the bike to the cage. Ifeel that being an experienced rider does make me a better driver – I am moreaware of my surroundings in traffic, I apply the same strategies for spacemanagement.

So, I will say that what I have learned from thissituation is that when checking for space to merge into traffic, I / we need tolook past that first lane. I may havemissed the turn signal – but would lay money down that no turn signal was used –and obviously was not looking for a car to take up that space I was aiming for. We have a very short period of time to analystraffic as we merge in, but I will now look “deeper” at the lanes oftraffic. I think that is the learningpoint from this situation, and I hope it is helpful for someone at some point.

As I will not have bike to commute on for some time, I willbe driving my Jeep. I have given someserious thought over the past few days as to whether or not I will chose tocommute on the bike again. Right now,the answer is no. I simply do not havethe confidence that other on the road around me; the majority demonstrates alltoo often that they just do not care – the airbags will save them, and it’smore important to update facebook, check the weather, or pick a new song tolisten to…

Wayne

I find this also to be true of the car drivers on my daily commute hear in Ohio, especially since it is no longer summer. Not as much daylight at this time of the year, and most people are not looking for motorcycles to be on the road. It's sad but true...we (the folks who ride at this time of the year) really need to be alot more cautious of the inattentive cagers on the roads.

Be safe out there.

were their (documented on police report) witnesses of exactly what happened with the car taking up what space you needed to merge onto the highway...any description of the vehicle...I guess if was me, I'd like to know even if it doesn't legally change anything...it sucks as motorcyclists, it seems they have to actually hit you before it's hit and run and that would hurt lots more than if in a cage...my decisions with a ton of steel around me are different than when not. I'll take a hit before chancing going into the wall or violently into the grass in the car where on the bike, not...use manuverability not possible in the car..

so glad you are ok...Gen III is worth looking at

Holy crap! I'm just seeing this, sorry this happened to you Wayne. I've ridden up in that area a few times and felt lucky to make it out alive. Bunch of dangerous morons up there and down here in mini-Detroit. I'm glad you're in relatively good shape. I don't know why you have to trash the best year FJR though.

I've questioned the sanity of motorcycle comuting as well. Yesterday I got cut off by a lady in an SUV on my way to work. Funny thing is, she had a "Look out for Motorcycles" sticker on her bumper. Problem is if I don't use the bike to go to work, I cut out 75% of my riding.

Anyway, heal up well and good luck with the new bike search.

were their (documented on police report) witnesses of exactly what happened with the car taking up what space you needed to merge onto the highway...

Ummmm....Mike. With all due respect and affection (and the possibility that I've misinterpreted what you mean here)...

The car on the freeway has the right to be there. IF the driver maneuvers to accommodate merging traffic, he does so as a courtesy. I'd suggest that the vehicle merging into the traffic has the duty to do it with considerable care and attention. I'm guilty of hauling ass up an on-ramp, confident that the Feej can power its way into traffic. In view of Wayne's experience, I suppose I'm lucky my confidence hasn't (yet?) been misplaced.

I found this great little article. Quoting from it:

"There's a simple rule to follow when you wonder who has the right of way on the road: "The wanter waits."

This rule is universal, convertible and reversible. It is the rule upon which all other right-of-way rules and laws are based. In essence, it is the only rule of driving worldwide because it combines the laws of physics with a good dose of common sense.

Drivers merging with traffic on our highways should wait for a good space before entering, but always remember the freeway traffic must make space for entering traffic at a merge; that is not so at a yield sign. The drivers on the freeway will usually change lanes to help the entering vehicle.

A driver's politeness and knowledge shine through when this happens"

Sounds as though the guy who foiled Wayne's merge is a douche - or oblivious to what happened. There's no shortage of those guys :assassin: . But I'd suggest he's not legally responsible. I have no legal training so I'd stand corrected on that point.

Wayne posted a great reply to my first post and he cites lots of incidents where there could be legal repercussions. Hey, there are BAD drivers in my podunk little burg. One took me out in the middle of a big intersection a few years ago - an OLD dude (~ 85 yo) ran a red light and rearranged the front end of my car. For a long time, I flinched when I rode through there.

I admire those of you who commute successfully by bike in high-traffic areas (especially you Californicators who lane-split or lane-share or whatever you call it ;) ).

And I respect the decision of those who know when to call it a day.

Keep on keepin' on, guys and gals. And, in the words of Sgt Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there" :D

we're still friends MEM :)

I may have missed it...I thought bike was mergine into right lane from ramp and center lane traveling car merged into the right lane next to bike at same time not seeing bike

so collision was parallel movement toward the center of right lane before anyone owned it

and if that's not what happened, I wonder what the fault meter would show if that would happen

we're still friends MEM :)

I may have missed it...I thought bike was mergine into right lane from ramp and center lane traveling car merged into the right lane next to bike at same time not seeing bike

so collision was parallel movement toward the center of right lane before anyone owned it

and if that's not what happened, I wonder what the fault meter would show if that would happen
Hmmmm....maybe I'd better go back and re-read....

Good news on the friend thing :)

The Men's Department.
Do you know what MARINE stands for?

Military Assholes Riding In Navy Equipment :p

Wayne, glad you're OK, buddy!! The Geek is now dreaming up the theme for the next Owosso Tech Day......

Back when I was working, I commuted a bit on the ST13 and Hondapotamus.... got too dangerous (and my commute was easy!). I gave it up as it just wasn't worth it IMHO.....

I think I am to that point - $$ saved on fuel is just not worth it. I'll be hunting for something a little better on gas than my Jeep for commuting.

Yes, good tech day theme would be to part out the trashed bike and swap parts to the new one. Not sure I want the Geek involved with that though...

Wayne, glad you're OK, buddy!! The Geek is now dreaming up the theme for the next Owosso Tech Day......

Back when I was working, I commuted a bit on the ST13 and Hondapotamus.... got too dangerous (and my commute was easy!). I gave it up as it just wasn't worth it IMHO.....

Sorry dude, still pissed at myself for for this mess.

Actually, now that I think about it, you do have a knack for getting people together to do stuff. Once I get Vader home, we may need to rethink this. One pallet for "no good" and one for "good" and hand everyone a wrench and a beer.

I will have to make a trip to Ironpony to shop for new gear. Gorilla tape is not going to cut it...

Ouch!

That hurts, Wayne! That really cuts to the bone.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: