Time for a new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike/motor has 42,868. Valve check done January 2012 at 28,xxx miles, everything in spec. Oil changes at 4k miles since new.

I'm going to start a thread over on the for sale area and list specifics and what's available. Right now, gas tank, frame, motor were untouched from crash damage from what I can see. The list will grow once I get the stuff off it I'm going to keep.

just curious for future ref to somebody, how many miles on the engine

The bike/motor has 42,868. Valve check done January 2012 at 28,xxx miles, everything in spec. Oil changes at 4k miles since new.

I'm going to start a thread over on the for sale area and list specifics and what's available. Right now, gas tank, frame, motor were untouched from crash damage from what I can see. The list will grow once I get the stuff off it I'm going to keep.

just curious for future ref to somebody, how many miles on the engine
cool...I wish I could find a Gen 1 rear wheel to put a MT on it for twisties trips

and run my CT the rest of the time

I'm sure a Gen II wheel won't work

Having a spare wheel(s) is nice. You'll need to find a '04-'05 ABS donor for your bike, as this one will not work. I have a spare rear wheel from a '08 I was using; only down side was color ('08=silver, '09 is black).

The '08 & up wheels will interchange, '06-'07 as well from my understanding.

cool...I wish I could find a Gen 1 rear wheel to put a MT on it for twisties trips

and run my CT the rest of the time

I'm sure a Gen II wheel won't work

Having a spare wheel(s) is nice. You'll need to find a '04-'05 ABS donor for your bike, as this one will not work. I have a spare rear wheel from a '08 I was using; only down side was color ('08=silver, '09 is black).

The '08 & up wheels will interchange, '06-'07 as well from my understanding.

Mike (Patriot) has a non-ABS '04, which limits his choices drastically. I have an '05 ABS.

1st gen ABS bikes will interchange with early 2nd gens.

I don't think the '08 or later wheels will work on '04 thru '07 ABS. That was my impression anyway.

Not that it matters since you are keeping the wheels anyway. ;)

FYI = My G/F got wacked over 10 years ago. Her shoulder didn't bother her until almost a year later. She now goes to PT 3 times a week, just to keep it moving. Her point is, you may be hurt worst than you think. She let the guy off that hit her, now (10+ years later)she wished she hadn't.

Yes, then MIke has to find an '04 non-abs - like this; the '03's had smaller break rotors up front, not sure about the back. I think a '04 abs wheel will retrofit to a '04 non-abs bike.

I know an '08 wheel will go on the '09; There is something different that will not allow an '08-'09 rear wheel retrofit to a '06-'07 from what I've been told - HaulinAshe has first hand experience I believe.

If I clear enough with parting out the bike, I plan to pick up a no-mar or cyclehill changer, then I'll sell the wheel set. So long as your relying on someone else to change your tires, a spare rear wheel definitely makes it less hassle.

Mike (Patriot) has a non-ABS '04, which limits his choices drastically. I have an '05 ABS.

1st gen ABS bikes will interchange with early 2nd gens.

I don't think the '08 or later wheels will work on '04 thru '07 ABS. That was my impression anyway.

Not that it matters since you are keeping the wheels anyway. ;)

Ok enough small talk about the wheels... We really wanna know if ya gots a cat stuck in yer can. Do I have to drive on over that way to help? :p

If I clear enough with parting out the bike, I plan to pick up a no-mar or cyclehill changer, then I'll sell the wheel set. So long as your relying on someone else to change your tires, a spare rear wheel definitely makes it less hassle.
Actually, even with the ability to change tires, it still adds a whole lot of convenience to have two sets of wheels. It never fails that I have a perfectly good partially worn tire (or tires) on the bike with questionable mileage remaining just before a big trip. So them off and put them on the pile of "loaner" tires, tires for somebody in dire need, not likely to ever be remounted. OTOH, if you could set the whole wheel aside, it would surely get used up when you get back from the trip.

Guys that just use their bikes to commute and never make trips longer have it made, in that regard. Just use 'em up and slap on new ones when they are done.

PS - I too am anxious to hear what the hell is inside that 2nd gen muffler. I'm betting it's some sort of really small/thin lightweight catalytic element, if anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, Wayne. Any crash you can walk away from, & all that...

Let me know when you are ready to part out - I am all too familiar with the process. I do need a few things for my 07, and can help Vader live on.

Thanks Fred!

And you're right, having a spare set lets you get max use out of those post-trip tires. I have a spare wheel off an '08 now, and that was on the bike (I'm surprised no one has tried to tell my I've listed the wrong year because the rear wheel is silver vs black in the pictures). So technically I've got a spare black front wheel, and two spare rear wheels. I've got to figure out what's going to work best down the road; I may unload the wheels to fund other projects.

Actually, even with the ability to change tires, it still adds a whole lot of convenience to have two sets of wheels. It never fails that I have a perfectly good partially worn tire (or tires) on the bike with questionable mileage remaining just before a big trip.
+1

I wish Wayne's silver '08 rear wheel would fit my silver wheeled '05 ABS -- I'd have had a pm off to him within 30 minutes of him posting up about parting out the '09.

'08 and later have a different speed (and ABS) sensor, posted here:

The earlier uses a toothed disc on the wheel (picture of my '06)

(Click on image for larger view)

The later uses a ring of what look like alternating magnets (picture of my '10):

These pictures are of the rear wheels, the fronts are similar.

Wow, what tragic end to your FJR. Regarding your comment on how long you were slide after falling off; it really is incredible, the sensation is then magnified by your inner dialog desperatly wanting your motion to come to a stop. I fell of at over 100 (on the track) and thankfully I didn't run into anything, but if felt like I was tumbling along there for 15 minutes. Glad you are OK!