Time to give up riding?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cardiologist thinks riding is highly risky in this situation. My thought is that I can do some things to futher reduce my risks, such as cease riding on rainy days. But I don't know what I'm going to do. Others must have gone through this decision--What have you decided?
The fact that you pose this question makes me think you know what you should do. Something not yet mentioned is the impact on friends, family, and possibly even strangers in the event of an accident. Another is the possibility of an intercranial bleed that is not fatal, there exists the possibility of lying in a bed, staring at the ceiling, pissing and shitting in a bag for the rest of your life. Not a pretty picture, but one I've seen many times as a medic.

Bottom line is that you have to make the decision and then live with it (or not).

Hans, I think you should stop riding and get velcro pants, can't have you bleeding to death from getting your dick caught in your zipper. :eek: :p :p :p :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear your in this position Hans. I'm a sufferer of AS (Ankylosing Spondylitis), and am pretty much fused in my body. Doc says if I fall I could cause much un-needed fracturing especially in the neck and spine. He cringes when I tell him about our rides.

Anyway, even if you lay off riding for a while, maybe just the commuting thing, until things come under control could be beneficial. There are times I can't ride but am able to later on. Not a bad trade-off really. If you do continue to ride, or even if you don't, I would seriously consider getting a medical braclett with your condition and emergency contact info. I always wear mine. So anyway, prayers to a good finish and hope you're well. Take care bro. Del. <><

I have a cardiac condition (atrial fibrilation) and have had a stroke. Will be on thinners for life and the doc told me about bleeding if I crash. I figure my chances of crashing the bike are not much worse than falling down in the f#%king ice around here and bleeding out laying in my driveway. I will continue to ride as long as I can afford gas and tires.

There are many opinions voiced here, Hans, but there is important input from outside the FJR congregation.

This decision must be made with participation from "Fang" and your children. They are those who will deal with your tragic demise and they are those who will witness the great loss if motorcycling is an important piece of your personality/pleasure paradigm.

I know that your interests are broad and varied but riding your motorcycle seems to being you great pleasure. We see that as you relate your observations in your ride reports. You strike chords within us that we either deny or ignore until you expound your own insights.

I'm still riding after my KLR incident. Sabrina was a concerned (more agitated) observer when I started riding again. After talking with my sister she decided she can accept the possibilites because she loves her dad and likes to see him involved in adventures (uhm...not so much the adventures that include helicopter rides and emergency rooms).

I, for one, would miss you greatly should you not remain part of our "tribe". As your friend, I would also understand.

....TMI me thinks the morning after..

Hans, it's up to what your 'heart' tells you.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I can appreciate that your situation is very real, so hang in there, you may still have a full life time!

Second, a Story;

Not long ago (1999?), I met a guy named Joe who I term “a soul mate”. Joe was a motorcyclist. He and I both owned Kawasaki C 1000 Concours. Both he and I had just begun a second life interest in motorcycling after finding careers, raising our families, etc. We met on a Forum (COG) published ride. Living only 150 miles apart, it was not hard to get together for part of a day’s ride from either of our respective homes. We rode on Sundays. It was our day off work, out on our motorcycles, where we felt we were spending it with nature and with God.

Joe’s wife Chris and my wife Jan, became good friends, but Joe and I became soul mates. We were the same age. Joe has 1 ½ inch shorter on his right side due to a bought with polio when he was a child. That probably explained why he didn’t dive into right handers with as much gusto as left handers? He crashed a couple of times and had to get insurance help “once?” to restore his bike to working order. I crashed “once” also, but did mine on the cheap, by buying a parts bike and kluging the 2 together. During the time Joe and I knew each other (2000 to 2004), we swapped lies, parts, beer, travels, life experiences, and thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company on many rides together. We could speak about any subject not excluding religion or politics, and even though we would not always agree, it seemed we found a way to respect each other’s points of view.

Communicating together over the Internet, we had decided one blustery February weekend in 2004, to join a COG ride in the Malibu hills. A friend of ours named Linda, down in Simi Valley invited us to stay for an over nighter in order to join the COG ride through the Malibu canyons the next day. After awakening, then breakfast we mustered the riders together, and the tossing of bikes through twisty bits commenced. Great group ride, and a great lunch, we began our truck towards homes. Joe and I rode up to Ojai, then grabbed the 33 up and over the summit of Pine Mountain and reached 166 to witness a big storm brewing to the West. I would be heading west into that maelstrom, and it was a miserable ride to the coast. Joe and I parted company at the intersection of 33 and 166, we shook hands, and took off our separate ways. He headed north on I 5 to rendezvous with his family somewhere in the Sierras for a couple of days of holiday. It was to be our last parting of ways. We were doing what we loved to do. He passed of a heart attack the following weekend at his home in Gilroy, CA.

I was shocked to the bone, and at first, I couldn’t figure out why it bothered me so much? After all, I barely knew the man? He was just my motorcycle buddy but Hell, the ache of his absence became very real. Attended his funeral along with around 350 others including a contingent of his motorcycle buddies, and I was surprised to find out that he had had such a rich life with family, friends, community members, and everyone that knew Joe was there. His father a Presbyterian minister, presided over the ceremony, and invited many to say a few words of how they remembered Joe. I met friends who I still see from the reception.

Lastly,

No matter what happens to us after we pass on (we will ALL pass on someday), there is an amazing amount of memories left over. Those who were fortunate to have been touched by the presence of the passed individual are lucky. This is motorcycling legacy, which is greater than religion or family, and allows each of us to continue to live on in the minds of others who are like minded forever. I personally think that is a good thing.

This forum is a place where some of us (hopelessly?) hang out. Be sure Hans, your dilemma is troubling to us All. Also, be sure that our remedy to your dilemma is to go for a ride and ride it out. BTW, thanks for your profiling anthology of the Forum's "most posted" in Eureka last July at WFO. :eek:

Oh, and you can ride with us anytime you feel up to it. :D Besides, we don't really care what your cardiologist thinks! :p

Perhaps you should weigh your options in terms of your willingness of accepting more risk. Your doc is trying to reduce your current high risk susceptibility to a heart attack/stroke by prescribing plavix. Apparently, you put value in his judgment because you imply that you will be taking your meds. I assume you do so to ultimately reduce your risk and thereby reduce your statistical mortality. If that approximates your reasoning then it also follows that you not undo the risk reduction you both seek by taking on more risk. It's not a zero sum game. That to me is the essence of the advice your doc has given you.

I realize that for you the previous calculus you made between self-preservation and calculated risk taking has been skewed with this additional risk related factor. I wouldn't advise anyone to willfully compromise their own sense of well being and health security to engage in an inherently dangerous activity, let alone to further their exposure to serious injury when their vulnerability has increased.

So why not take a break, enjoy the holidays and reflect on whether it seriously matters to you to start riding again in March. By then your motives will be clearer and so will your choices.

Cheers

So why not take a break, enjoy the holidays and reflect on whether it seriously matters to you to start riding again in March. By then your motives will be clearer and so will your choices.

Cheers
There have been many insightful posts here but eventually you will have to make the decision for yourself. As suggested, take some time off and reflect on what is important, what gives you the most joy and happiness in life, what level of risk is acceptable for you and your loved ones... usually, when I put things aside, the answer will bubble up all on its own. It's there, Hans... be quiet and hear it whatever it may be. :)

Hans, I think I might get a second opinion on medication. I'm not a pharmacist or doctor for that matter but have worked in the medical field (lab technologist) for a long time. Alternate meds might include dumping the Plavix for an aspirin regimen; both are used to prevent platelets from clumping and causing a clot. In my opinion aspirin has less side effects and has similar efficacy (again speak to your doctor). Now, my next statement is pure conjecture; some doctors have such an aversion to motorcycle riding that they will try to scare you at any opportunity.

I am on a blood thinner, Plavix. --What have you decided?
Glad you pulled through the crisis.

I scaned the thread, I could have missed this but SHITCAN the plavix.. Increase omega 3 and take a aspirin per day...

What is the status of the coronary arteries ? Have a MRA in 1 year if still wide open keep riding.

Bottom line taking plavix is more of a health threat than your heart condition. Ask your doctor what the prognosis would be if you did not take plavix..

Hans, I think you should stop riding and get velcro pants, can't have you bleeding to death from getting your dick caught in your zipper. :eek: :p :p :p :lol: :lol:
Finally, the Voice of Wisdom has Arrived. Thank you Mike for putting this issue in its proper perspective. This is why you are so damn invaluable to our fine FJR Forum!

jus get away from shit that could bump in to ya....
Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking and Sir Isaac Newton have got nothing on our man rushes! Especially when he has been drinking George Dickel Sour Mash Whiskey!

Brilliant, Russ; Brilliant!

I also take thinners...

You only live once... Or twice if you are a Heart Attack Survivor. :)

I will ride until i physically cannot.