To the group of HOG posers at the gas station in Monroe WA, Saturday.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>snip<
To HOG riders, it's an imagine thing. They don't go fast enough to have many mis-haps, but when they do have one....it hurts pretty bad. Then they whine about how bad they feel because of the bumps and bruises.

>snip<
I'm new here - guess I gotta cancel my HOG membership. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a couple in our group from work who choose to ride the 2 wheeled tractor from Milwaukee. They always talk about how loud their piece of shit is, and when am i going to crank up the yammie. I tell them they look like the village people are having a reunion with their ass-less chaps on. Then give them explicit instructions to be sure and get the hell out of the way before we get to the twisty roads or speed it up. We made plans for bike week in March, last Sept. Why were the Hardley riders trying to figure out whose truck/trailer they were taking 6 months out? Their excuse was, "what if it is snowing when we leave" (we live in Atlanta). Told them to chain up the rear and go slow. Hardley Ablesons suck

You changed your orignal post - I was going to address something you said. Something to the effect anyone who rides is a rider.

I don't feel that way anymore.

To me, there are many posers out there doing the Harley image thing. Similar to my experience with corporate american - "Image over substance". Lots of image, not much riding. If they get into that, all the more power to them. That's fine by me. However, I do not see them as 'riders', but merely as 'bikers'.

To me, a 'rider' is one who regardless of brand, make, or model, puts more emphasis on the substance, rather than the image part of motorcycling.

Is that being judgemental? Yup. So be it.

And don't get me wrong. I don't hate Harleys. I owned one prior to my FJR and enjoyed it immensely. Hope to have one in the garage again someday. However, in my subjective thinking, way to many of the folks who do the Harley thing are far too much image, and far too little substance.

If that's what floats their boat and they get enjoyment out of that......well, good on em. But I can't help but see them as less than a true 'RIDER' when it comes to the motorcycle heirarchy. Hence my label, 'BIKER'.

You changed your orignal post - I was going to address something you said. Something to the effect anyone who rides is a rider.

To me, there are many posers out there doing the Harley image thing. Similar to my experience with corporate american - "Image over substance". Lots of image, not much riding. If they get into that, all the more power to them. That's fine by me. However, I do not see them as 'riders', but merely as 'bikers'.

To me, a 'rider' is one who regardless of brand, make, or model, puts more emphasis on the substance, rather than the image part of motorcycling.

And don't get me wrong. I don't hate Harleys. I owned one prior to my FJR and enjoyed it immensely. Hope to have one in the garage again someday. However, in my subjective thinking, way to many of the folks who do the Harley thing are far too much image, and far too little substance.

If that's what floats their boat and they get enjoyment out of that......well, good on em. But I can't help but see them as less than a true 'RIDER' when it comes to the motorcycle heirarchy. Hence my label, 'BIKER'.
So true, Skooter

There are Riders amongst the HD herd. I even know someone, who knows someone, who met one once.

You know, after some careful consideration, how about this for an appropriate response for that situation:
"You know, it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant, than to open it and remove all doubt!"
Great quote, SG :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

SG,

In many ways your statement sums up my thoughts entirely.

The thing that really bothers me in this story is they had to make a comment insinuating their displeasure with the safety gear you chose to wear to protect your ass in case of a get off. I agree that their IQ was lacking on this day and the sad thing is there may have been some rather intelligent professional people in the group exercising their right to be absolute dumb asses.
To HOG riders, it's an imagine thing. They don't go fast enough to have many mis-haps, but when they do have one....it hurts pretty bad. Then they whine about how bad they feel because of the bumps and bruises.

Oh well, you can only hope they don't ever go down. But if they do go down and survive it, maybe it will change their perspective on the gear you were wearing.

It takes all kinds and one way to look at it is....It's job security for our medical profession.
You see all sorts of horrible sights in your profession, I bow to your dedication etc.

At least wearing something more than those HOG riders will save some of my skin in a "get off".

<snip>
Yeah - I posted then thought I should just mind my manners seeing as I'm new here. I do think there's a kinship for folks who've ridden long distances on bikes - regardless of brand. Of course, your mileage may vary. I've run into nice folks and asshats on all kinds of bikes, with all kinds of gear, in all kinds of places.

As for the edit....sometimes my typing goes faster then my judgment! (but the judgment catches up eventually). ;)

Ride safe!

I had a long-winded post typed up about my uncle-in-law Rob, a fire chief who's married to an ER nurse, that went from riding an older Yamaha Maxim with a full-faced helmet with leather gloves and jacket to riding some model of Softtail with a t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses. Seeing me in the ER after I was rear-ended last year, and the amount of injury I'd avoided by wearing full gear, seemed to wake him up. He bought new FF helmets, armored jackets, and armored gloves for himself and his wife, and they actually wear them when they ride.

The "image" even bites some people who ought to know better. I'm glad Rob came to his senses.

I guess the gear can be seen as time consuming to put on, and maybe a little abnormal looking to wear, however, it serves a true purpose. I hope these guys never have to find out what that purpose is as I have had to. Thankfully for me, I was in full gear when I really needed it. That is why I can still talk about it here today. Overall, our choices do have consequences, both good and bad. I just try to choose those that result in good.

I wish all motorcycle enthusiasts of all types and interests safety, enjoyment, and the thrill of the ride!

Hey Taff! Give me a shout next time you're in my neck of the woods (Monroe). If we're not booked for a gig, I'm always up for a ride. My FJR is in the garage (getting ready for NAFO) so I take my ZX14. There's a lot of great rides out this way!

From what I have seen/noticed, the RIDERS are usually riding a HD lookalike (Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, etc.) and yes, many wear the assless chaps but they also wear fullface helmets.

The HD posers (not all, of course) are doing exactly what the HD TV ads tell them to... it's a lifestyle. Remember, they don't buy HD's to ride the twisties. They only go on the major roads in a straight line to the nearest biker-friendly bar. The rule is: dress like a Neanderthal (assless chaps, beany hat, skull bandana, sleeveless vest, etc.) and the women dress like hookers. Seems to be the norm.

If I ride north, I like to stop at the HD dealer at Smokey Point for a latte. I sit outside and watch the folks... posers, et al. Admittedly, most of the folks are nice. Many are new riders and new to HD. Many of the folks KNOW what a ZX14 is (that includes the sales guys) and what it can do, so I usually don't get the power ranger talk.

Speaking of power rangers, there's also the squids... the other end of the spectrum.

Anyway, back on subject. Give me a call. I LOVE to ride... with anyone.

I guess the gear can be seen as time consuming to put on, and maybe a little abnormal looking to wear, however, it serves a true purpose.
Anytime somebody says anything about the hassle of gearing up and the time it takes, I have a standard response:

"Freedom isn't free."

I just wish I didn't have to take the time to lock up all my gear and farkles every time I leave the bike somewhere, to keep some low-life from walking off with it.

So, when I pull up on my Honda Dream 90 you guys aren't going to ridicule me are you? :yahoo:

On the way back from CFO 05 I stopped in central Iowa and some gap toothed moron said to me " I thought guys your age (I was 57) rode Harley's." I just laughed at him and walked away, he was too stupid to argue with.

There does seem to be an over abundance of A-holes running in the HD group though. :bleh:
I somewhat disagree with this. I think the story that started this thread is the exception, not the rule. Excluding occurrences like JB's (where the rider refused to let his group pass), I have logged many miles and have had mostly good encounters with cruiser riders as we exchange pleasantries and info at gas stops, etc.

Yes, there are the groups of cruisers that must stop at every watering hole. And I am certain that there are A-Holes among their masses too. But I have met A-Hole BMW riders and dual-sport riders also! All in all, however, I have found most riders to be pleasant and friendly and am just not comfortable generalizing.

Just a rant.

Warning!! Hijack!!!

In all my rambling about in the west. In the little out of the way towns and black line roads. Far away from the bigger cities. I have noticed that crusiers out number all other types of bikes combined. It appears to me that even though they are slow they get out and around. Sport bikes are the minority once you're more than 30 miles from a city. I think the posers should wear better protection, or no taxpayer money spent on patching them up.

Phil

.I just wish I didn't have to take the time to lock up all my gear and farkles every time I leave the bike somewhere, to keep some low-life from walking off with it.
Hey Toe, ride with the Harley crowd and you don't have to worry about your gear being stolen!
..and it takes balls to ride a HD Ultra to an all FJR meet, some of them prejudiced Fjr riders threw ice at me as I rode in, jeered, made all kinds of insultory comments like 'go home, poser', 'you don't belong with us elitists', 'take that tractor back to Creston', and more!

DSCF0015-2.jpg

We stopped anyway, smacked a few of the 'FeejerFaithful' down with Harley truths like, 'jeesh, I have over 130k on my Harley, how many miles do you have on that rice rocket?, how come you look like Power Rangers on steroids?, don't you know that speed kills? :rolleyes:

All said in jest boyz, n' Skooter summed it up best. Just Ride!

.... now back to washing my Feejer.
What is this Washing thing you refer too? Is that what happens on our daily rides as that liquid Seattle Sunshine rains down on us? :angry2:

Or is it that bucket and sponge thing that I wait until July to accomplish once I can be assured of a week without rain? :yahoo:

I actually thought about washing my FJR this past weekend, but decided to check the weather forecast first. I know, why bother? Sure enough there's daily rain in the forecast for this week, so I'll have to ride a dirty bike for a while longer.

I just posted this to our ride report from yesterday, but I think it belongs here as well:

And a special mention to yesterday's Hardley poseur who robbed us of some of the best twisties going back up over the hills to lunch in Livermore when, seeing six headlights suddenly appear on his tail, refused--ever--to nudge to the right of his lane and let us pass, forcing us for several miles to act like weekend riders on low-performance machines. You're a dick. Learn how to ride.
Gunny to what you said in your opening post. That tribe sure is a curious lot....

Jb

Awww... you're being too hard on him.... Besides... he only know how to ride slowly in the middle of the lane! <BG>

Did he turn....turn...turn... the handlebars going around the corners? <LOL>

Mary