To the group of HOG posers at the gas station in Monroe WA, Saturday.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it up. There are always those in any brand-specific motorcycle group (including this one) who think that there's is better, faster, whatever than what you own, or that they are better, faster, and more proficient riders than you. As always, there's an ass for every seat.

Up in this part of the country there are plenty of douchebags like the ones in the original post, with their stupid looking clothes and air cleaner lids etched with "Live to ride, ride to live" in all it's gawdy Black Hills Gold glory. A lot of the serious riders around here that do own Harleys typically have other bikes besides and are more bike nuts than Harley nuts.

The thing that did it for me and the HOG bunch was I sold a really nice used, early 90s 750 Virago to an older gal in her early 60s just getting back into riding. Her husband rode a dresser HD and had been a Harley rider/HOG member for over 20 years. The lady had a short inseam and liked to ride on the road with her husband and the top heavy, then-small tanked Sportster didn't fit her at all and to her credit she was more into substance than style. The esteemed HOG club wouldn't let her come along on any of their rides from then on! Thankfully, her husband told them to shove it and quit. Amazing.

Those of us with a little age and perspective can still remember when Harleys were pieces of sh++, sold like sh++, and carried over from year to year just like every other bike. Amazing what a few million mid-life crises and a rubber mounted motor can do for a company. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In all my years, (oooh geez!), I could count on one hand the times I've encountered weenies on motorcycles. But I couldn't begin to count the friendly, engaging, helpful, courteous riders I've met just this last year.

And I must note that the most pleasant types have very often been cruiser/HD riders with pillions! I'm guessing that, like all of us, just having that sunshine over their shoulder- the lovely SO- has them feeling happy-hearted and magnanimous. Can't help it. B)

That's been my experience. Probably just fortunate.

Of course if someone were ever to call me a Power Ranger - well I'd go sideways on 'em! :lol:

I think it depends. I was on my Road King and pulled in to gas up last summer and a bunch of crotch rocket guys started giving me shit about my bike leaking oil and being a Grandpa's bike. I just let it pass. They didn't know that Grandpa also owned an FJR.

Anytime you get a group together it seems that there is at least one who thinks he's tough at least with his mouth. I've owned everything from BMW to Yamaha and found assholes in every group. The best thing is not to be one of them.

Anytime you get a group together it seems that there is at least one who thinks he's tough at least with his mouth. I've owned everything from BMW to Yamaha and found assholes in every group. The best thing is not to be one of them.

Reminds me of the saying that, if you're in a group and don't know who the a-hole is, then it is probably YOU! :D

I actually got passed this morning on my way in to work by a guy on a totally naked Harley. That's hardcore, as it wasn't exactly warm at 0645 hrs. today. He must've been doing about 85, probably so he would get there sooner and could start thawing out. Just a leather jacket, jeans, beanie cap and one of those neoprene face masks with his shades on.

I felt like the poseur, with my windscreen, nice warm suit and heated grips. I turned them off in is honor....

Harley's let me down as "poser" bikes when I rented a Sportster. Outside of the cool sound of the pipes, the bike was a total "piece." What really got to me though was the cheap plastic buckles under the pseudo snaps. WTF? If you're going to do the poser thing, at least do it with high quality leather accessories! Otherwise, if I could afford an image bike, I think I'd go with Triumph.

odot is bar-hopping. I salute the ATGATT and HH commision with a half hearted HEIL!

I actually got passed this morning on my way in to work by a guy on a totally naked Harley. That's hardcore, as it wasn't exactly warm at 0645 hrs. today. He must've been doing about 85, probably so he would get there sooner and could start thawing out. Just a leather jacket, jeans, beanie cap and one of those neoprene face masks with his shades on.
I felt like the poseur, with my windscreen, nice warm suit and heated grips. I turned them off in is honor....
That's funny, Toe. I've seen those guys too commuting in on a cold, wet morning. And when I see them, I think "Right on." I respect anybody who's not a fair-weather commuter, but who gets out there every day on the ol' two wheels and jumps on into the fray. 'Cause it ain't for poseurs out there in the major metro commute [Pat self on back here....].

But there's another angle to it too, which is what I think of as "The price of cool." I see guys on Harleys out on the freeway on bikes without windscreens, and they're going 70 MPH. And those guys are in a lot of pain, you just know they are. I can't ride my Sportster without the windscreen faster than about 45 MPH without feeling like a piece of plywood out there in the wind. I figure they refuse to drop their cool factor by throwing a screen on a Softail.

But apart from all the fun of poking at Harely riders, I agree with what Murph said above. You can find every kinda rider in every kinda tribe. Certainly there are a lot of weekend riders on Harleys who are more into the look that the ride, but by the same token there are a lot of very serious Harley riders, some of whom are Rider Coaches and show you how to do standing donuts on their bikes, etc. I followed two very seasoned, experienced Harley bagger riders up some twisties on my FJR, and I was not having to hold back at all, which yes I know says a lot about me too.

Jb

On a recent trip, I ran into a bunch of these people at a gas station: https://www.soberridersmc.com/ . I did get the power ranger comment from one of them, and over heard a few of them talking about how hot and uncomfortable my gear must be and they would never wear something uncomfortable or hot because it is a safety risk. They were just bagging on me right and left. I just kept to my business. This was just weird to me, the meaning of the club seem to have good intensions, but they had some dorks stuck on stereotypes about power rangers and unsafe bikes.

Then the strangest thing happened. Another member opened the door to the gas station for me. I ended up having a pleasant conversation with two couples. After I left, I gave it some thought and thought about some of my past experiences with those who purchased a “life style”. It seems to me that more times then not riders with pillions seem to be more level headed and better geared then those riding alone.

I thought back to some of my MSF students and conversations with them about gear. One female student told me her husband has two sets of gear, one for riding alone and another for when they are together. She explained when they were together he had a full-face helmet and nice textile pants and jacket. Since he will only let her rider with a full-face helmet and full gear he wears the same gear when they ride together. She thought it was sweet he cared so much about her he made sure she had the best gear. However, when he rides alone he has a quarter helmet, chaps, and vest. On the last day of class, he drove her to class dressed in full gear. He took his helmet off and low and behold I remember this IDIOT from a brief conversation on riding gear at a local Apple bees.

He and his friends were having a few drinks (alcoholic) at lunch and decided to talk crap to me when I was picking up a lunch order to go. Funny thing about the day he brought his wife to class. He was very nice and it was pleasant to have a conversation with.

I am beginning to think many of the riders who wanted the “life style” are not bad people if their friends are not around, or their wife is present to keep them in line.

I have a Harley but wont ride with any the Harley guys that wont let other brand bikes ride with them. I sometimes go the local shop to watch the circus. Its amusing to watch some of the guys strut around in their assless chaps and talk about the next piece of chrome they are going to buy. I also have some friends on Harleys that just like to ride and arent eat up with the Harley image thing. Prior to buying my 08 sportster I asked a Harley sportster rider that also had an FJR to compare the two. He said your going to feel like yout riding a antique when you get on the sportster.

Prior to buying my 08 sportster I asked a Harley sportster rider that also had an FJR to compare the two. He said your going to feel like yout riding a antique when you get on the sportster.
Yep. My Sportster reminds me of riding a mini-bike in 8th grade. My first bike ever was an '03 Sporty. Still own it; sittin' in the garage. I'm pleased to say I astonished my Harley dealer buddies by putting 47,000 miles on that baby commuting up till I bought the FJR two years ago. Now I pretty much only ride the Sporty around town. But the fact is, I just don't feel safe on it.

The thing is, they say don't write a check with your ego that your skills can't cash. But with the Sporty it's just the other way around: I've got the skills, but the bike can't deliver on the swerving and braking end of things.

I'm about to post it for sale.

jb

Just to comment on the gear, I sometimes wear Bohn body armor which you wear under your jeans and can't really tell you are actually wearing full gear. I "do" wear a full-face helmet no matter what bike I'm riding though. Usually if anyone makes a stupid comment about someone's riding gear that person is usually in a group and by themselves would probably never make a comment like that and basiclly are not very bright anyway.

Best to just shy it on and really if you're using your own bike to "pass them up" on down the road as some type of payback, makes as much sense to me as the one who had made the comment about my riding gear.

I have really had more HD cruiser types come up and comment on the FJR and asking questions about the bike and the ride than any other type of rider.

Never had any negative comments when I've been "geared" up as of yet. But best IMO to just ignore it and or just kill them with kindness. PM. <>< :D

I had a conversation with a Harley rider about countersteering and told him to "just press on the bar".

He came back a few days later unhappy. Obviously he misunderstood, because he told me he tried pushing on "the bar" just like I said, but ended up spilling his beer.