Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but I'm a little disappointed to think I was buying a sport touring bike. It is absolutely a sport bike, but when I took it out for a modest ride not even 50mi, when I got home my hands were numb and my neck and shouders were sore.

Don't get me wrong I love the bikes looks, power, and handling. The bike is stock, I'm looking into buying Heli Hr trible clamp and having work done to the seat maybe these things will help, or maybe it's just me, because I read on this forum that some of you go for hundreds of miles. Any help would be appreciated.

Heli bar risers,After Market shield,Custom seat, Grip puppies. I do 500 mile days no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but I'm a little disappointed to think I was buying a sport touring bike. It is absolutely a sport bike, but when I took it out for a modest ride not even 50mi, when I got home my hands were numb and my neck and shouders were sore. Don't get me wrong I love the bikes looks, power, and handling. The bike is stock, I'm looking into buying Heli Hr trible clamp and having work done to the seat maybe these things will help, or maybe it's just me, because I read on this forum that some of you go for hundreds of miles. Any help would be appreciated.
My advice, get used to it before you modify it. If all of those goodies had been available when the Gen II's first came out I probably would have owned them, and that would be a shame. Now I found I don't need them because I gave myself time to get used to it. Go out for some more rides, shoot for 75, then 100 miles, etc, you can't expect to go 500 miles immediately. Give it some time before sinking another $500+ in farkles to fix something that might not be broken.

For a point of reference, the SO and I just got back from NAFO where we consistently were doing 600 mile days, with one 750 mile and one 1100 mile day (although that one may not have been in complete comfort the entire time :) ) with stock ergos.

Some where on this board there is an article about riding position. Its for a beemer but can apply to the feej.

Owning a sportbike, this is no sportbike straight up. The seat is WAY more comfy, the suspension WAY more plush and, I would never lean the feej to the extremes I lean the sportbike. 'Sides, the sportbike will do 140 in 3rd gear in a blink. Feej while still good, doesn't have that kind of giddy up.

Oh and my faceshield doesn't get as dirty while riding the feej.

Just did 4800 miles in 10 days...stock handle bars...no cruise control...definitely Russell seat though.

I find that the first 50 miles are when I notice most issues and wonder how I am going to get 500 miles done that day. I then adjust to the bike by relaxing my grip on the bars, relaxing my shoulders, adjust my postion...and poof! I'm already to my first stop at 180 miles or so.

Repeat 3 or 4 times and you've got a full day in...for me. Not the mano steel asses around here.

I have had 5 Goldwings and 5 ST1100s and a CGR1100XX just before the FJR and no doubt the FJR is more touring than the Blackbird, but more sporty than the ST1100s. I am 64, 5-10, 206 lbs. I rode mine back from Orlando Fla to Lancaster SC, 8 hours with no issues, but I felt the pressure on my hands was a bit much, so I eventually fit it with the Helibar triple clamp, which helped the long term comfort. For me, this is the best, most enjoyable bike I have ever had. Love it to death (06 AE by the way and the AE thing is the BEST). :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I have a 05 and I was having trouble doing more than 250 a day. I put on a set of heli risers and now life is good,350 to 500 mile days are a walk in the park but I don't walk when I can ride. :yahoo:

I've got a stock 2006, with sliders and a "cramp buster" on the throttle. Memorial weekend I did 640 miles on Friday and 580 miles on Sunday...a different saddle would be nice, but not exactly necessary. You've got to stop for gas...take a 5 min. break and strech your legs. You'll get used to it

AS said - it ain't no sport bike. You want to experience real pain, ride a sport bike (my 1098).
+1

The FJR is an armchair compared to a sport bike and a armchair with a full recliner compared to the 1098.

BTW, the 1098 is awesome and arguably the most beautiful current sport bike out there. But that original 916 just dropped my jaw when I first saw it. Sorry off topic........

I have an ST1300abs and a DL650ABS (07). It took me a while to adjust the ergos on the ST to feel comfy. It was on a LD ride that I finally figured out the best way to ride it. I'm toying with selling the DL and get an 08 FJR to go with my ST since I'm kind of a Sport Touring kind of rider. I've been wondering if getting used to it, with risers, seat etc, would be a bit like the ST1300 i.e. getting use to it. I must decide that but did sit on a friends who had the triple clamp riser, and it felt just great. Riding though is the real test.

It is just different strokes for everyone. On a recent S2S ride (sunrise to sunset--IBA) a friend who usually rides a BMW R1200RT had just bought a stock FJR since the RT was home with piston issues. He rode about 3500 miles in less than 72 hr on it and said with some risers and a seat, it would be comparable to the RT in comfort. That speaks volumes since the RT seems more comfy than many ST bikes.

DoctorJ

06A for me, if this thing's not a touring bike I wonder where those 40,000 miles came from? :unsure:

The two biggest changes to affect the Buzz are:

Grip Puppies, and a good Throttle Body Sync.... I mean take your time and get it right.

we just took a 4600 mile trip and my bike has never been smoother or more comfy.

-MD

New owner here with a 380 mile run last Saturday. When I purchased it, it already had grip puppies and a Throttlemeister. I moved the stock bars back to the closest position and have ZERO complaints. I could've easily done another 400 that day.

Wanna talk bar buzz...............ride a single cylinder thumper dual sport for 500+ miles. :blink:

The FJR is no sport bike by any means as far as ergo's go. Few years back I road a GSXR1000 to bike week in Daytona, I seriously contemplated renting a truck/trailer to haul it back.

I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but I'm a little disappointed to think I was buying a sport touring bike. It is absolutely a sport bike, but when I took it out for a modest ride not even 50mi, when I got home my hands were numb and my neck and shouders were sore. Any help would be appreciated.
Gentlemen, I don't think this is a comparison question, but one intended to find his personal comfort zone.

INO, that means incremental changes until he finds the best solution for his riding style and comfort. That being said, a possible order of priority:

1.) Riding posture (per my link above). This will take the pressure off of his hands and shoulders. After a time to acclimate to this style, then, if needed....

2.) Grip puppies (to alleviate the "buzz"). If relief is necessary for shoulder issues, then.....

3.) Triple clamp/bar risers