Two questions - Vista Cruise, and throttle springs...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet. I've also decided that even though they don't look as cool, the Vista Cruise is not only a fraction of the price, but is much easier to use. Which one?

Also, yesterday I took a bunch of the panels off my '06, and pulled up the gas tank to see how hard it is to get to the throttle springs. I decided I didn't want to try to disconnect the fuel line, and the tank didn't want to seem to hinge up from the back the way I thought it might. In a fit of uncommon rationality, I decided to ask the forum ("phone a friend", "ask the audience"....) before risking dinging something up on my brand new ride. So what is the approved method?

Thanks for the quick answers that I know will apear before I got to bed tonight... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a post on that --

It's under "Technical Discussion" "Throttle spring, lightnin up some"

I'd add a clicky, but don't know how to link other threads... I'll try:

Clicky

see if that helps.

If it is like the '05, you don't have to disconnect the fuel lines. Prop the tank with a piece of wood or suspend from the ceiling. Use a small screw-stick to 'flip' the center spring off the retainer. It should unwind once and reconnect.

Someone has the pics out here somewhere. I suck at adding cliky things.

As for the Vista Cruise, use the one for the 7/8 inch bar, not the 1 inch harley model.

Oh, on the tank, on the '05, you have to be sure to remove the plastic fillers on the sides of the tank at the rear. Also, loosen the rear bolt.

See, rhulcher knows how to do the clicky thing.

I've done the vista cruise installation, works like a charm and I would recommend it to everyone. I did not alter the throttle springs because I have no issues with them and the vista cruise works well. Here's a link to the FJR tech article that will explain everything you need to do.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=23

Hope this helps -

Mike

Geez, I feel so inadequate with my inability to add clicky things.

i added my vista cruise yesterday on my 06. I followed warchild's instructions and it went on beautifully. I needed to trim off about an 1/8th of an inch around the stock grips and needed to trim about an 1/8th to 3/16th's of an inch from inside of the grip thickness to get it to fit properly. I used a straight edge razor blade to accomplish the task and am very pleased. Looks really good and works perfectly. As they say, just do it!!!

It seems to me there are several model numbers of the Vista Cruise. I had planned to buy Throttlemeisters, but as of a week and a half ago, they were not ready to sell them for '06s yet.
Huh :blink:

I put the Throttlemeister on my '06 a couple weeks ago and it works great.

I put on a NEP, which cost me about $15. The nice thing about the NEP is that it requires NO TRIMMING of the grip. I took some photos and will add them to my photo gallery when I get home. I think it is a better fit for the bike than the Vista Cruise.

I put on a NEP, which cost me about $15. The nice thing about the NEP is that it requires NO TRIMMING of the grip. I took some photos and will add them to my photo gallery when I get home. I think it is a better fit for the bike than the Vista Cruise.
Fred, You da man! Can't wait to see those pics. I have been wanting a throttle lock but didn't want to cut my grip.

Larry

+1 Fred.

I bodged the VC install. My countersink went all the way though. Grr. It's a bit flimsy and requires trimming and fiddling to get it just so. Not my idea of a quality fit. I like my extra-super-duper-heavey-as-hell-bar-ends, so no throttlemeister for me. I'm going with the NEP.

Fred, I'd like to see that if you get time.

Don

There are a couple places that sell the NEP. California Sport Touring carries them for about $17.

https://www.casporttouring.com

I had to trim off a tab on it with a dremel and drill a hole in it and put a screw in the bottom to fix it to the throttle assy but that was it. I forget if I got the CC2 or the CC3, I'll check tonight and try to post some photos.

I am really not sure what kind mine is. It is about 20 years old or so. I really didn't want the universal vista with that 'reach across' bar on it, so I stole this one off my old goldwing. I had to do a little modification, but was done in about 10 minutes. Nice, clean, no chopping of the grip.

It looks like it could have been an early-generation NEP.

In the FWIW dept. Vista cruise also makes a slightly more expensive model that mounts directly to the handlebar and has a bar that crosses over the switch assembly. It requires no cutting, drilling,cussing or mechanical aptitude to mount. I added one to my 06 in about 5 minutes, and that includes wrestling with the blister pack .

Ghost

I have the Vista on Frank, and an NEP on my ol' Honda. I much prefer the action and lever location on the Vista, especially with the slight twist I did on the install to better locate the thumb lever. The NEP pivot pin is crap, I have seen several develop problems after a while of popping out or apart, especially if the rider has ever heavy handed it. My Vista, on the other hand, once set up right, has worked flawlessly ever since.

Yes, the NEP is a bit more flimsy, but I like the way it mounts with very little fuss and it's low profile. It is probably a personal preference. I am sure the Vista is fine, I just didn't want to cut my grip.