Ugly noise this morning upon starting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: 1000 miles later and it starts/runs like a top. I did change the tensioner but still have no clue why it made the noise it did. Weird. Happy it's working but was 5 hours of useless wrenching I'll never get back.

UPDATE: 1000 miles later and it starts/runs like a top. I did change the tensioner but still have no clue why it made the noise it did. Weird. Happy it's working but was 5 hours of useless wrenching I'll never get back.
If it made you feel happy it's definitely not useless..........................

I disagree about it being a waste of time, that is what preventative maintenance is all about, fixing something going south before it does Bad Things. The CCT failure mode is not readily apparent and may well look good to you. What you need to do is feel for the spring tension on the plunger with the plunger a bit more than half way extended. There is a major drop-off of spring tension at that point making the CCT plunger not have enough force on the slipper to take up chain slack, especially on rapid engine speed changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you need to do is feel for the spring tension on the plunger with the plunger a bit more than half way extended. There is a major drop-off of spring tension at that point making the CCT plunger not have enough force on the slipper to take up chain slack, especially on rapid engine speed changes.
Last weekend I had the opportunity to prophylactically change out the stock CCT on a 2007 (Polarize's) at its 50k mile valve check.

The part number for replacement CCTs have all been upgraded to 1MC-12210-00-00. This applies to all years. These CCTs now come with a green dot painted on the upper side. Comparing the old and new style CCTs it is easy to see that the new style does not retract quite as far, so the spring tension is more uniform throughout its shorter total length stroke. THat and the spring tension felt in the screwdriver is considerably more substantial on the newer style CCT also.

Having changed it out is a good thing, IMO.

What you need to do is feel for the spring tension on the plunger with the plunger a bit more than half way extended. There is a major drop-off of spring tension at that point making the CCT plunger not have enough force on the slipper to take up chain slack, especially on rapid engine speed changes.
Last weekend I had the opportunity to prophylactically change out the stock CCT on a 2007 (Polarize's) at its 50k mile valve check.

The part number for replacement CCTs have all been upgraded to 1MC-12210-00-00. This applies to all years. These CCTs now come with a green dot painted on the upper side. Comparing the old and new style CCTs it is easy to see that the new style does not retract quite as far, so the spring tension is more uniform throughout its shorter total length stroke. THat and the spring tension felt in the screwdriver is considerably more substantial on the newer style CCT also.

Any comment on the difference between the "New and Improved" Blue dot CCT vs the "Newer and even more Improved" Green dot? I went to the Blue dot one a couple of years and almost 50,000 miles ago. Wondering if it is worthwhile to go with the latest model when I do my valve check this winter. (maybe I should wait for the Yellow dot one)

I will likely have to change some shims anyway - 4 intakes at minimum spec last year. No rattling or other nasty sounds on startup. (There weren't any bad noises before the previous CCT swap, either.)

I'm not sure that there is any difference between the blue dot (I have one of those in my bike) and the newest green dot type other than the color of the paint dot. Though the part number is different, so maybe there is some internal change(s)...

Just for reference, the same comment applies when comparing pre-blue dot to blue dot. Much improved and superior. So, Ross, if you have the blue dot, you're good. I doubt it has deteriorated to anywhere near a pre-blue dot level.

As for funny noises on startup, if the anti-drain valve in the oil filter leaked down a bit, or it is cold and you have 20W50 oil, you may hear some tapping/rapping noises that are normal until oil pressure builds for a few seconds. The 20W50 oil takes a few minutes to warm up also......... the reason I run a blend of 10W40 & 20W50 (3:1) approaching the colder weather.

I'm in the same boat as Ross, I have over 60k on the BlueDot CCT and so far don't believe I'm hearing any abnormal chain slapping.

It sucks that Yamaha does not provide some kind of explanation for updated parts, like say Microsoft does for any software patches/updates to give the end-user the opportunity to asses the need to upgrade.

How did that '07 tensioner compare to the green dot upgrade? Was it significant, or is that something I don't really need to worry about? I don't have any camchain noise, but like I said before, when I do my valve check, if anything needs shimming, I may just upgrade to a green dot so I don't have to take it apart later...Problem is, I donno if I would ever have to change it.

It seems to me the bikes with the failing CCTs were all GenI's...Right??

How did that '07 tensioner compare to the green dot upgrade? Was it significant, or is that something I don't really need to worry about? I don't have any camchain noise, but like I said before, when I do my valve check, if anything needs shimming, I may just upgrade to a green dot so I don't have to take it apart later...Problem is, I donno if I would ever have to change it.

It seems to me the bikes with the failing CCTs were all GenI's...Right??

The tensioner that came out of the '07 was essentially the same as the one I took out of my '05. The spring tension was much wimpier on the old ones and the length of the stroke was longer, such that the new one is operating closer to being fully wound up.

That said, even for the old one with the wimpy spring, it feels pretty impossible to re-compress the tensioner plunger just by pressing on the end of the plunger. You would need to force the mechanism to go back up the spiral threads, not just compress the spring. So I don't think that happens unless you've been dicking around with it.

What is more likely is that the wimpy spring tensioner just doesn't have enough ooomph to take up the slack out of the chain when it eventually develops. I generally prefer to err on the side of caution, but I think that in most cases you will get a good amount of warning signs (cam chain noise) especially if you are savvy to the hazard and aware of its importance.

I had heard the same noise for some seconds when i started the bike the morning but not immediately after the starting but after two-three seconds,in the left side of the engine some months ago..I believe that this noise came from a stuck starter,or a gear in the starter mechanism perhaps?!I can not think of anything else...Ι heard this noise only one time in the nine years that i have the bike..Sounds like:krrrrrrrrrrr,like hitting gear with gear..

The revision to the blue dot tensioner took place somewhere in '07 model year. Mine was original, and it was the revised blue dot one. Quite superior to the Gen 1 tensioner, and if I had a blue dot one, I wouldn't worry about "upgrading" to a green dot. Ride on.........

Sounds like you're outta the woods. But this thread reminded me that on my former '05, before I blew up the transmission and totalled the bike
rip_1.gif
, one day I started it up and it sounded like a bucket of bolts. I thought the engine was blown and immediately shut it off. I had it hauled to the dealer, who finally diagnosed a bad whoozie-whutzit, which was the somethingorother that basically told the pistons what order to fire in. It was a cheap replacement part; it was the diagnosis that cost some hourly rates.

The revision to the blue dot tensioner took place somewhere in '07 model year. Mine was original, and it was the revised blue dot one. Quite superior to the Gen 1 tensioner, and if I had a blue dot one, I wouldn't worry about "upgrading" to a green dot. Ride on.........
Sorry for a bit out of the this thread,but I want to let you know that the tensioners in Europe all these years they have not any dot on blue or green!The only change is the part number for only one time..Not any blue or green dot on!

Well, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that the 2007 that I worked on last weekend definitely did not have a revised type CCT in it from the factory, which supports the idea they switched over sometime during that model year.

The difference between the original style CCT and the newer, revised CCT is readily apparent when they are on the workbench and fully wound up. On the revised version, the plunger does not retract nearly as much as the "old" style.

100_1591.jpg

Sorry for a bit out of the this thread,but I want to let you know that the tensioners in Europe all these years they have not any dot on blue or green!The only change is the part number for only one time..Not any blue or green dot on!
At tech days, we have replaced a few tensioners for folks.... as I've mentioned before, one of those did not have any dots, but it was the revised "blue dot" version.

With the blue dot unit is there much less slack in the chain when fully retracted for camshaft removal and shim exchanges?

After all the engine design improvements over the years I can't understand why there hasn't been a convergence in the best design for this component?

Camshaft chain drives are so commonplace in today's engines one would expect the tensioner design to be bulletproof by now.

But one could have also said that about valve guides and seals too. Yet that bit Yamaha in the rear after all the engines they've built over the decades.

HEY FRED W.......

I was trying to quote your post about the gal making bad noises but for some reason it won't let me quote you?

Anyway she made GOOD noises!!!