Ugly noise this morning upon starting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Reaction score
My 04 has 60,000 miles on it. So ... when I started the the bike up this morning, it started but with a fairly significant "metal on metal" kind of clanking during idle. Shut it down immediately. It took me back and forth to work the previous day with no issue. Uses a little oil (1/2 qt per 5000). Always changed the oil as recommended. Anyone had this and diagnosed the issue before. Not looking forward to taking the motor apart to find out what's up. Thanks.

Which side of the engine did the clunking seem to come from? If it was from the RHS, than the first question would be have you already replace the Cam Chain Tensioner with the new type? Did the oil light come on/stay on during this? It might be just that the oil pickup took a bit longer to start working properly...

I shut it down to quick to get a reading on which side it was coming from. No oil light. I would have noticed that as it was dark. No, have not changed the tensioner. That does make sense though given the type of noise. For those that have seen the failure, has it been automatic broken valves and cracked pistons etc.?

I changed my CCT at around 60k, because the chain was slapping around a bit, especially when cold and/or at idle.

I would try slowly turn over the engine to confirm that it still does move freely. Two ways I can see of doing this:

1. Remove the little plastic cover plate covering the crank case nut and with the bike in Neutral try turning the engine over with a wrench. Removing the spark plugs would make this much easier...

2. Set the kill switch to off (engine not starting) and as slowly/briefly as possible try to turn the engine over with the starter motor.

My 05 did this once while I was in Toas. As the motor warmed up It stopped. I ran a couple of tanks of 89 octaine and it never happened again

I may have just gotten some bad fuel not sure.

Will an '04 motor turn over on the starter when the 'kill switch' is engaged? I'm pretty sure my '09 won't.
Yep, you're right, forget that idea, I had a brain fart when I was typing that one
fool.gif

I'd pull the fuse for the ECU and give it a crank (fuse number 7 - injection system). It won't fire if it doesn't have fuel. See if the noise is repeated.

I would not run the starter motor until I was reasonably sure there was no mechanical damage.

I would put the bike on the centre stand, put it in 5th gear and then rotate the rear wheel slowly and carefully, listening for mechanical noises. It may be easier to do this with the plugs removed.

When you are happy that nothing is mechanically wrong, consider starting it and allow it to warm up & check for CCT noise on the RH side.

It sounds like replacing your CCT at the earliest opportunity would be a very good idea..........................

+1 on the statement, "Do not run the starter motor." Turn it slowly by hand w/ the plugs out. The 5th gear suggestion would make it quick and simple w/ the plugs out. You've got a problem, you know you do. Even if it was to "go away" and start normally, what ever it was will return. Time to get looking into the engine for the prob. Hopefully it was a good thing you shut it down when ya did and there was no damage.

Another thought: whether or not the CCT is the prob, it would be a very good idea to change it w/ the mileage you've got. Cheap insurance compared to a new engine.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you describe the noise any more precisely?

Was it a hollow knocking noise or more of a sharp rapping?

Repetitive at the engine rpm or more random?

Of the same amplitude (volume level) or one big noise followed by some softer noise?

Did the engine sound like it was running at the right cold start rpm during the noise (before you shut it down)?

Since you had to shutdown the engine I do not think that you have bent your valves (yet). If the timing chain jumped enough teeth to start munching the valves the engine would cease to run pretty quickly. More likely that the loose timing chain was whipping around and slapping the crankcases from the inside.

Or, something may have become dislodged in one of the cylinders (valve or piece of spark plug) and got squished in the one combustion chamber. Lots of other possibilities exist.

In any case, I'd investigate fully by removing the right side timing cover, pull the plugs and turn the crank over by hand with a socket wrench before thinking about thumbing that starter button again.

@ Okie.

Not sure what you have found so far?

I have the same bike as you. After reading the horror stories on Gen 1 CCT failures, I replaced mine with the 'blue dot' upgraded one this spring.

Excellent instructions here for replacement or just checking: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=136891&st=0&p=846482&hl=+chain%20+tensioner&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=846482

Remove the cam-chain cover (no need to drain the oil) and check your cam chain. You can 'exercise' the CCT with a long, thin blade, screwdriver to see if it is worn out/broken.

Good hunting.

Al.

I had a metallic sounding knock start while my bike was warming up in the morning about a month ago.

Started a thread here on it......it knocked for about 15 seconds then stopped.......been running fine since??

I remember that. Weird.

BTW - Your "past pleasures" list is surely incomplete. You know what I mean...

Brenda? Behind the baseball dugout in 7th grade? She had the braces and you brought the pimples, Brenda?

...BTW - Your "past pleasures" list is surely incomplete. You know what I mean... Brenda? Behind the baseball dugout in 7th grade? She had the braces and you brought the pimples, Brenda?
Brenda was making ugly noises? Obviously that was pre Southern Comfort age ;)

Well I finally made the time to dig into the bike. Manually turned it over and sounded ok. No mechanical crunching/clanking noises. Pulled the valve cover, cam chain is tight. Everything rotates as it should. With the plugs still in, I could feel good compression as I wrenched it around the cobustion cycle. Short of opening up the bottom end (which I really really don't want to do), I can't think of anything else to do but bolt it back up and try to start it. Chalk it up to one of the many things I'll not understand I suppose. Either it will start and I'll be happy in my ignorance or it will crunch and I'll have an excuse to part this one out and buy another.

Well I finally made the time to dig into the bike. Manually turned it over and sounded ok. No mechanical crunching/clanking noises. Pulled the valve cover, cam chain is tight. Everything rotates as it should. With the plugs still in, I could feel good compression as I wrenched it around the cobustion cycle. Short of opening up the bottom end (which I really really don't want to do), I can't think of anything else to do but bolt it back up and try to start it. Chalk it up to one of the many things I'll not understand I suppose. Either it will start and I'll be happy in my ignorance or it will crunch and I'll have an excuse to part this one out and buy another.
"An excuse to part this one out and buy another".... hmmm...

Your wife caint say no if the old one's blowed up, huh?
smile.png

*edit*

Ifn you haven't hit the starter and finished it off yet, I might be interested in buying that POS.

Latest posts