Upgrade brake line

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to upgrade break and clutch lines? The service manual calls for replacement every 4 years. I thought that I could also do with an upgrade to get better "bite" and feeling. I read the how to from Rick Conn for an abs gen II. Mine is an UK 01. I am thinking Galfer kits? Thouhts?

Cheers

Yes there are some that have. I have an '05 ABS model. There was a group buy a while back with Spiegler lines. They make an entire kit for the bike. It took a while, but I got them installed and they are great. They are also DOT approved.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacement every 4 years isn't really required but it sells parts. I used the Galfer because I wanted extra length for my risers. SS lines don't make it stop better but do offer a better feel.

Has anyone tried to upgrade break and clutch lines? The service manual calls for replacement every 4 years. I thought that I could also do with an upgrade to get better "bite" and feeling. I read the how to from Rick Conn for an abs gen II. Mine is an UK 01. I am thinking Galfer kits? Thouhts?

Cheers

Every bike I installed SS lines was a PITA, and the difference wasn't *that* much improved.

I'm not sure I'm sold on SS lines. Just my .02 :)

Every bike I installed SS lines was a PITA, and the difference wasn't *that* much improved.

I'm not sure I'm sold on SS lines. Just my .02 :)
Purdie much ^THIS^

On my '89 FJ 1200, the brakeline installation wasn't too hard, and gave much improved feed back 'n feel. But, on my GenII ABS FJR, they wuz a bitch to install, bleed, and I can't tell any difference. ('Cept I'm 300 dollaz poorer!)

I went with Galfer because they sponsored my friend when he raced.

I tried to buy the kit from Motorcycle super sucky store, but they screwed me big time;

first they dun charged me for the whole kit, (Which they listed as "in stock.") but they only sent me 1/2 the kit. I called the bastards and told 'em ta send me the rest of the kit, butt they said they couldn't, that I had to send my 1/2 back, they'd refund me, then sell me the whole kit again. :wtf I don't think so. It took the fookers a month to credit my account after they received the shit. :banghead: My last transaction with them. :finger:

I ended up getting the COMPLETE kit from Cycle Gear, and it has the clutch line too.

It's worth noting that SS braided line make a big difference in feel at the lever/pedal if you have a non-ABS bike. However, if you have an ABS bike, it's very little difference in feel due to the ABS block still in the system. Even if you replace every rubber line, the ABS block by it's nature allows some 'give' in the system.

The OP has a non ABS bike, but some of the posters have ABS bikes. For anyone not aware, all FJRs prior to '04 were non-ABS and all FJRs from '06 on have ABS. '04-'05 bikes were available in either configuration.

I just installed a Galfer kit on my '08AE. got it at Cycle Gear. It is a LOT of work and they do not supply any brackets or guides for the lines. Had to build a bracket for the three lines at the steering head otherwise there is no support for them. Used insulated clamps for the rest. I like my stuff to look nice when I'm done so it was a total pain in the butt. Also bleeding was a bitch and I have a vacuum bleeder. Had to cycle the ABS several times useing diag mode to get the air out.

With all that said I like the lines and the brake feel is improved, but I'm not sure it was worth the trouble. One cool thing Galfer offers is a choice of colors for the lines. I went with no bling black so the bike still looks stock. Hope this helps.

It's worth noting that SS braided line make a big difference in feel at the lever/pedal if you have a non-ABS bike. However, if you have an ABS bike, it's very little difference in feel due to the ABS block still in the system. Even if you replace every rubber line, the ABS block by it's nature allows some 'give' in the system.

The OP has a non ABS bike, but some of the posters have ABS bikes. For anyone not aware, all FJRs prior to '04 were non-ABS and all FJRs from '06 on have ABS. '04-'05 bikes were available in either configuration.
The SS lines that I installed were on my first 2004 non-ABS FJR. Yep, I noticed a small feel difference...but nothing dramatic at all. Like I said...maybe I'm not good enough a rider to be able to really appreciate it. It certainly didn't wow me...and it certainly didn't impress me tjhat there were not any aftermarket brackets in the kit to attach the SS lines...self fabricating a bracket after purchasing SS lines was a JOKE. :angry: ...on me.

But hey, if that's what you like to do, maybe these things are for you. They certainly stop the bike well.

(but then, so do the OEM lines)

Don't all the problems with bleeding and PITA installation also apply to replacement with stock parts? I'm riding a 2005 with the original lines and am thinking they really should be replaced (only 16000 miles and it doesn't sit outside much, though). I'm not much of a fan of SS lines, I like a little "give" to help modulate the brakes (maybe because I'm used to cable operated drum brakes).

Don't all the problems with bleeding and PITA installation also apply to replacement with stock parts? I'm riding a 2005 with the original lines and am thinking they really should be replaced (only 16000 miles and it doesn't sit outside much, though). I'm not much of a fan of SS lines, I like a little "give" to help modulate the brakes (maybe because I'm used to cable operated drum brakes).
Unless you see physical issues with your lines, I see no need to replace. On my first FJR, I thought I would do it by the book and replace them. I don't think that is necessary anymore. Just my opinion.

2nd 2004 has 62000 miles on the clock...

Geez, I've owned so many bikes with lousy braking performance and feel, riding my 7 year old FJR with stock brake lines is like... simply amazing. Seems to me that SS lines are a huge waste of time and money. However, to each his own. That's part of what makes this forum such a hoot: we've all got our own way of looking at things. Besides, my opinion isn't worth much because I'm partially retarded... I run a car tire on my Feej!!!!!!

Gary

darksider #44

For a non-ABS bike like an '01 European....you likely will notice a bit of an improvement in brake feel. I did with my '05 non ABS.

But, not so much with my '05 ABS.

The Galfer lines are nice.

you still have to bleed stock lines if you replace them but won't have to do any fabrication. If you get a Mitey-Vac to bleed the brakes it is a LOT easier, with any line...

I wouldn't worry about replacing the lines on an '05 for a couple more years.

BUT, I would flush and replace the brake fluid every year, which is just good practice on any bike.