URGENT FJR opinion needed!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heat issues are well-established as rider specific.

handling in the Gen 2 is changed slightly due to the longer swing arm. that imo means more stability on the slab v quicker handling in the twisties by the gen 1 (and harder to wheelier on the gen 2).

gen 1's are quicker, while gen 2's run at a slightly lower RPM on the slab in top gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
you DEFINITELY need to pass on this bike! ;)

cause i'm buying it as soon as my insurance totals mine. if my dude hadn't been sick all week, I'd probably be taking care of it very soon.

I did a lot of research and am picking up my 07 tomorrow. But I do think the blue one is the best looking.
So research must have proven out that the '07 is the prettiest otherwise you are either ignoring the facts or you truely realize that the black cherry is the best looking color. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :victory:
Learn the colors guys! The '07 is Cerulean Silver! Plus it has a Formula 1 style semi-automatic gearbox.
I wasn't talking about the AE. I was talking about the real one with the clutch! :blum:

The ZX14 is considered a Sport Bike/sport tourer before the birth of the Concource.
Argh

I hate the twisting of words for poor [the actual words in my head are a little stronger] reasons. And - let's get this straight. First I presume you mean the Kawasaki Concours? The Concours pre-dates the ZX-14 by decades.

The ZX-14 is NOT a sport-tour bike. The original '86 Concours (ZG1000) was based on the Ninja 1000 of the time. Ninja=sport bike, Concours = sport-tour; Goldwing, Aspencade, Voyager, etc = Tour bike. Simple

The use of "sport-tour" for bikes other than the 3/4 faired Concours, ST1x00, BMW RT/KT 1000cc+, etc bikes was the marketing silliness of trying to split hairs on sport bike/hyper-sport (street legal race bikes), or for European types with roads/gov'ts not condusive to larger vehicles. As a conformity-challenged type, I refuse the redefintion of the term unless it aids in clarity and understanding.
Absolutely correct . . . I see that up here in Quebec every day where a Concours 14 is plated as a 'regular' bike and a ZX14 is charged as a 'high risk' sport bike - to the tune of some $520 extra per year (which will rise to a DIFFERENCE of almost $2,000 per year in a couple of years). Same difference between the BMW K1200GT and K1200S; If it has bags, a center stand and a fairing with a 'significant' windshield it could have a thousand horses, but it would be charged the same as a 500cc cruiser.

However Kawasaki did promote the machine IN EUROPE as a sport tourer by offering an optional center stand and attachment points for soft bags in that market . . . if they sold configured that way in any significant numbers I'd be amazed.

But there's marketing. And there's reality.

Unless I was about 5'6" or shorter I wouldn't consider touring on a ZX-14 unless I was a masochist, the bike doesn'lt fit the mould.

And that is why they tooled up to make a real S-T machine to replace the aging Concours - I'd owned an '03.
Thanks for the info. I stand corrected. :( I guess it depends on who is doing the marketing. I have read that several places and was going off what I read. I can see I will learn alot from this Forum. There are some very knowledgable members on here. B)

,snip>...up here in Quebec every day where a Concours 14 is plated as a 'regular' bike and a ZX14 is charged as a 'high risk' sport bike - to the tune of some $520 extra per year (which will rise to a DIFFERENCE of almost $2,000 per year in a couple of years). Same difference between the BMW K1200GT and K1200S; If it has bags, a center stand and a fairing with a 'significant' windshield it could have a thousand horses, but it would be charged the same as a 500cc cruiser.
WOW...! That link is sobering.... I'm having difficulty assimilating the Big-Brother-ism and all that it portends....

Are the motorcyclists readily accepting this?

,snip>...up here in Quebec every day where a Concours 14 is plated as a 'regular' bike and a ZX14 is charged as a 'high risk' sport bike - to the tune of some $520 extra per year (which will rise to a DIFFERENCE of almost $2,000 per year in a couple of years). Same difference between the BMW K1200GT and K1200S; If it has bags, a center stand and a fairing with a 'significant' windshield it could have a thousand horses, but it would be charged the same as a 500cc cruiser.
WOW...! That link is sobering.... I'm having difficulty assimilating the Big-Brother-ism and all that it portends....

Are the motorcyclists readily accepting this?
Not political, just a description of how it is:

When they introduced the concept of tiered registration they invited public consultation. I prepared a brief and sent it in and was invited to present it formally when they came to Montreal.

I donned a suit and went down to the hall I'd been instructed to go at the appointed time and saw a few rather scruffily dressed people, some of whom made unstructured bleats to the board (comprised of three people; a doctor, an actuary and a politician).

When my turn came up it was the last before their lunch break - and when my presentation and their Q&A of me ended they invited me to join them for lunch and explained that they were impressed by my presentation, but very disappointed in the public's reaction - they wanted *more* people like me to come across with proper arguments.

The members explained that beyond trying to predetermine the public's reaction to their proposals, the government had three agendas;

First of all, they projected a shortfall in the provincial insurance fund (which is only because they illegally raided it to the tune of a bunch of billions of dollars about a decade ago) and they wanted to refill the coffers so that it will be at the mandated minimum amount . . . to which they had no answer to my question about why not reduce that minimum, since they didn't need the money for payouts according to their own figures.

Secondly, they wanted to get baby boomers who had inherited their MC endorsements off the road (because they had no training and often got themselves into deep trouble when they passed 50 and bought big, powerful bikes that they promptly crashed).

And third, they wanted to keep young kids off lightweight, high powered machines that likewise did those people in.

I countered the kids issue with a flip comment about improving the collective genetic stock of the province, which got a couple of wry smiles from the group, but I do understand where they are coming from with the latter two points.

So, along with making bike registrations (plates) and MC endorsed driver's license fees more expensive, they are also tightening up licensing and training rules for newly licensed riders. Now they're talking about graduated permits like they have in Europe to keep newly licensed kids off these 'high risk' machines until they turn 25. That last bit makes a lot of sense, unless you own an MC dealership. (Or maybe it will simply create a class of smaller used bikes that dealers can trade around?)

I gather that they have issues with dealing with more senior licensees, because bikes used to be included automatically in licensing in 'the old days' and they can't just yank everyone's privileges - something to do with our constitution. Then there's the question about guys like me who have been riding forever? How do they determine who is experienced and who is not?

So, being short of cash in this and other areas, the solution is (as it seems to be everywhere) to install red light and speed cameras and to tax us out of the market with license fees that are further graduated by accumulated points (aside from those $300 tickets they are cranking out).

Besides, the riding season is relatively short (compared to points south), so I guess they figure we just won't mind.

But think about the fact that those plates and insurance are for half years - if you cancel your plate or policy for the winter you get nothing back. We essentially pay double what you see because it is amortised over the period when the machines sit idle, waiting for the snow to melt - WAY TO GO GLOBAL WARMING. In a few tens of years we'll be able to ride year 'round.

Local bikers have been staging rolling protests, but the government sees them as not having enough of a voting block to justify listening to them. Besides there's nothing about what appears to the public to be a few thousand straight-piped Harleys ridden by people who have forgotten to shave, get haircuts and wear clean clothes. Little sympathy from the public, I suspect that the average voter would be just as happy if someone steamrolled many of the worst offending bikes.

So unless someone elects me to be the Premier of Quebec, things will likely remain as they are and the progression will continue.

OK everyone. Back to the topic at hand.

(Edited to remove somewhat inflammatory text at the start of the post.)

Unless I was about 5'6" or shorter I wouldn't consider touring on a ZX-14 unless I was a masochist, the bike doesn'lt fit the mould.
5'6"? At 5'6" you'd need to lower a ZX-14 just to get one foot on the ground.
Yeah, but any taller and you get twisted into a pretzel shape by the peg placement - not good for an 8 hour day, even if you DO have to stop every hour or so to tank up.

you DEFINITELY need to pass on this bike! ;)
cause i'm buying it as soon as my insurance totals mine. if my dude hadn't been sick all week, I'd probably be taking care of it very soon.
Between us maybe we could make a whole FJR, what kind of parts do you have? :)

Here's the update. The bike is not as represented. The ad says, "not a scratch". Well, the trunk has a big scratch down the middle from where the box supposedly fell open when taking if off. When this happened, the little loop that holds the string broke. Not that this can't be fixed and possibly touched painted, but. Also, the left side crank case cover has a scratch from the first owner dropping it at a standstill. From the mark, it is obvious that this is what happened. Also, just a little scratch on the underside of the left exhaust from the same thing. The triple has scuffs from the guy having a metal key ring and keys on it. Finally, the right side of the tank, at the crease near where your crotch would be, has two very small dents in it. The paint looks fine, just little tiny dents. Can this be cheaply and effectively fixed? I looked over it 4 times before I even noticed this. You have to look at it in the right angle and the right lighting to see them. The bike rode well and seems mechanically fine, just the aforementioned stuff. Oh yeah, you can tell chicks with heels touched the exhaust and left marks. I figured this was going to happen. I offered a cash offer not far off the asking price with cash in hand but it was denied. I told him I'd sleep on it and call in the morning. My question to you experts is should I offer the $7250, take it or leave it or just walk since the ad wasn't a true representation? I'm thinking that for a new back tire, less than a 1,000 miles left on this one, and to fix the issues would be much more than the $250 so I don't feel that I'm being unreasonable. I know it's his bike and his perrogative but I don't have to have it either. Just soliciting opinions here since you guys have more experience with the bike. Thanks.

I would tell him "your ad says not a scratch which isn't true, I was prepared to pay your asking price but with the problems I see I think 7250 is a fair offer." Good Luck!

Yes, the "not a scratch" brings other questions to light: what sort of maintenance was done on the bike? Is there paperwork to back it up? Stepping back and thinking about it some more might not be a bad idea.

Funny you mentioned the Tiger 1050: I actually traded mine for the 06 FJR I have now. I'm really happy with the FJR. Good luck!

Sorry to say guys but it doesn't appear that I'll be joining the FJR family today. I was really excited about the possibility but he doesn't want to come off any and I'm not willing to pay any more than my offer. Such is life, sucks that the deal fell apart over just $250 though. Oh well. On a more optimistic note, I finally got to try a FJR out on the road. She's a heavy beast coming off full on sport bikes but once going, she carries her weight well. Pleanty off power and ample brakes are on it as well. I don't even need to touch on the comfort factor. I'm still in the market so maybe I'll see you guys around soon. Until then, I'll still be browsing around on here. Thanks again for the input and advice. :drinks:

I did a lot of research and am picking up my 07 tomorrow. But I do think the blue one is the best looking.
So research must have proven out that the '07 is the prettiest otherwise you are either ignoring the facts or you truely realize that the black cherry is the best looking color. :thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley: :victory:
Learn the colors guys! The '07 is Cerulean Silver! Plus it has a Formula 1 style semi-automatic gearbox.

Wow, did you ever pick the wrong place to be wrong. First of all as mentioned earlier, there are TWO '07 models, the Black Cherry 'A' model, with a regular, hand-operated clutch, and the Cerulean Silver 'AE' model, which does NOT have a Formula 1 style semiautomatic gearbox. It has a bog-standard 5-speed sequential gearbox just like the 'A' model, with one exception.....the shift pattern is N-1-2-3-4-5, while the manual clutch model is 1-N-2-3-4-5.

The Cerulean Silver 'AE' model, as it's known in North America, and as the 'AS' model in Europe and Pacific Rim countries, has a motor driven, computer controlled clutch.

Quite a bit of difference between a "Formula 1 style semi-automatic gearbox" and an electronically controlled clutch, so I'd have to respond with

"Learn the colors guys! There are TWO '07 colors! One with a real clutch and one without.

:assassin:

Wow, did you ever pick the wrong place to be wrong. First of all as mentioned earlier, there are TWO '07 models, the Black Cherry 'A' model, with a regular, hand-operated clutch, and the Cerulean Silver 'AE' model, which does NOT have a Formula 1 style semiautomatic gearbox. It has a bog-standard 5-speed sequential gearbox just like the 'A' model, with one exception.....the shift pattern is N-1-2-3-4-5, while the manual clutch model is 1-N-2-3-4-5.

The Cerulean Silver 'AE' model, as it's known in North America, and as the 'AS' model in Europe and Pacific Rim countries, has a motor driven, computer controlled clutch.

Quite a bit of difference between a "Formula 1 style semi-automatic gearbox" and an electronically controlled clutch, so I'd have to respond with

"Learn the colors guys! There are TWO '07 colors! One with a real clutch and one without.

:assassin:

+1 on the color. And BTW, I really like my Black Cherry. :yahoo:

... sucks that the deal fell apart over just $250 though. ...
Funny (again) you should mention that. Earlier this year, I was kicking the tires on a 2000 (I think) Concours. Guy never changed the fluids :eek: except maybe the oil. So I counter offered and we were $250 apart. Had I caved in, then I never would have found out how awesome these bikes were.

Don't feel badly, there's plenty of other deals around. Better to stand your ground, and feel good about your purchase. Good luck!