USofA '06 FJR has shipped!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know how to get a pic on this forum, but I did post one of her being assembled on the "other" FJR site in my picture ablum. Deep, dark blue, but even under shop lights looked good to my hard to please deeezignurr eyes. She has Metzler Z6(?) on her...never had any radial Metzlers b4 that I can recall. The nu bluu FJR is bike #77 and IF Yamahaha has really "fixed" the heat problem and if my new right hip cooperates I hope to keep, ride and ENJOY this bike for many years to come.

I did sit on her with the saddle in the up position (the monkey motion for changing saddle ht leaves something to be desired for ease of doing......)and my new hip seemed ok with it. Proof will be to ride her for an hour or so tho...sure am hoping all goes well because in looking at her and briefly sitting on her....selling my '05 Wing (hip wouldn't handle an 820# bike anymore...) was the thing to do.

So everyone...they really are coming and my thanks to the fellows at North End Cycle in Elkhart, IN for getting her (and the bags) here in MARCH per the agreement on Sept 28, 2005!

Should anyone like a pic, PM me and I'll e-mail...took several! DFO :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got info from Tony @ Texarkana. He says the bikes and bags are in the warehouse. He's expecting they will ship today or tomorrow and arrive here early next week. He's not getting all of his March alotment though and the trunks and mounting kits aren't in yet.
So I'm looking at getting mine late next week. Of course, this is coinciding with NASCAR weekend here in FTW and I've got 30 or so friends comin down for the race. But they aren't staying with me so a trip to Texarkana will happen. I took Friday off so that'll prolly be the day! Can't wait!!!
I also got an email from Tony and will likely see you Friday/or maybe Saturday (my drive is a little longer than yours as I am in Austin, TX).

Yea!

John
Hey John!

I've seen your name on the emails and wondered where you were. It has to be Friday for me now. My friend who is trailering it back home can't go Saturday. So I'm sure none of this will work out now that I have a plan!!

Hope to meet ya there though! I asked Tony where ours are comin from and he said our warehouse is in Atlanta. Wish I knew if it left there yet or not.
Great- hope to see you around some time. I think we are the lucky few here in Texas as I have not heard that any other dealerships in Texas are receiving bikes this round.

John

Here's designeraccd pic ( shamefully solen from his album :p )

Just trying to save ya from TWN wrath !

congats on the 1st USA delivery

1st2006FJR.jpg

Wow! You mean that the dream is real?? 2006 FJRs exist??

I didn't think it was possible, but now I am even more exited about delivery!

LOL! My buddy Jason is now "famous"...thats him, NEC's Srvc. Mgr. working on assembling her and it was after their 7pm closing time, too. How's that for dealer service...along with getting the bike here in March?! Hhmm, now I gotta do some more negotiating on the 3 "extras" I was askinn for from Yamahaha IF she didn't get here in March, but as the NEC boys brought it off...a deal's a deal!

I sure hope my hip "cooperates" so I can use this bike for the things she is designed for....like taking her over several of my favorite non stop twisties in se KY...oh yea! Only @ 450 miles away from Elkhart, IN...only. DFO ;) :D :rolleyes:

Well she was delivered to NEC on March 31 and they were prepared to get her running yet last night so I could ride her. Given the time necessary to really get her prepped I thanked them-profusely- but said just have her ready to go today. IF I can get back to Elkhart b4 they close at 4pm I'll be on her today...if not, well??? Weather is going to be quite cool today but get wet Sunday thru Tuesday per the forecast. However, a family situation takes #1 priority today and if that gets squared away in time I'll be riding her today. If not...oh well; at least she is actually here..........DFO :rolleyes:

newbie question:

How much assembly do they have to do on the new bike? Is it just the front wheel? If not much why don't they just ship them complete?

I got the same info Kaitsdad's dealer gave him, CA bikes are set to deliver Apr. 10th. Not sure from what warehouse though. Could be sooner or later who knows. I'm still at the month orginally promised ie, April. Should equal out to some good weather if that ever happens here in northern CA. Was thinking of buying an ark instead. lol. Painman. <>< :D

How much assembly do they have to do on the new bike? Is it just the front wheel?
Front tire, fender, windshield, fluids, bars & bags IIRC.

If not much why don't they just ship them complete?
I think its a Tariff thing, they can say "Assembled in USA".

I think its a Tariff thing, they can say "Assembled in USA".
:)

Rogue, right on, also makes for a compact crate, then you can put more crates in the same container.

Try to picture me foming at the mouth, jumping in and down, running around in circles, I'm half way down state from Chicago--- dealer said today he gets his from same warehouse, good chance I'll be on the road by next weekend. :) :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Hey Dennis,

Click on this link that is pinned on the home page under "IMAGES".

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=5589

Just follow the instructions and it will easily work.

If I could do it anybody can! :blink:

Congrats once again to you and the others here that are finally

seeing "The bike at the end of the tunnel". :clap: :clap: :clap:

Roger B

...soon to be the new owner of a red 06 FZ1

and hopefully somesday 07 Red FJR1400 ...if you're going to dream ...dream BIG!

My dealer just called and said my bike is being assembled as we speak with sidebags. He also said he has some land for sale down in Louisiana he'd make me a great deal on. PM. <>< :D

Well she was delivered to NEC on March 31 and they were prepared to get her running yet last night so I could ride her. Given the time necessary to really get her prepped I thanked them-profusely- but said just have her ready to go today. IF I can get back to Elkhart b4 they close at 4pm I'll be on her today...if not, well??? Weather is going to be quite cool today but get wet Sunday thru Tuesday per the forecast. However, a family situation takes #1 priority today and if that gets squared away in time I'll be riding her today. If not...oh well; at least she is actually here..........DFO :rolleyes:
Unbelievable! The first USA delivery of an '06 FJR and he's too busy to pick it up.... :dribble: :haha:

Just wait until he posts how wonderful his '06 FJR actually is...let the whining and bloodletting begin with mucho gusto! :clap: :hyper:

so does anyone else find it ironic that the first guy to get one can't really ride it cause of hip surgery???

oh let the sweet torture continue...

Didn't you know, he said rhetorically (Of course you did, fjrchik, you've owned an FJR!), one must have masochistic tendencies to be an FJR waiter and owner? :rolleyes:

Well everyone...FORTUNATELY my new hip seems to be OK with my new bluuuu FJR as my 82 mile "test" ride proved yesterday!!!! OH YEA!!!! :D :D

Despite 46F-48F temps, wind and total gloomy gray cloud cover the day definately brightened when I got on her @ 2:15 yesterday afternoon. The deep, low growl from that engine sure is (fortunately) nothing like the whining "teakettle" sound of the ST 1300. Quiet exhaust note, of course, so I think my lil Grandson Carson will "approve": my 1200R Sportster scares him! Imagine.....

Anyhoo, as for my initial ride:

The seemingly small windshield does a pretty good job, certainly better (less buffeting) than I recall from my '03 with the optional larger shield from Yamaha. Depending on wind direction relative to the bike, and bike speed (heh heh....) she is quite calm to a bit of turbulence but nothing that I'd term significant. Given the temps I had my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves on along with my riding boots, leather chaps and heavy Tecknics winter riding jacket: quite comfy.

The clutch/gearbox felt stiff for maybe 3-4 shifts but then after I adjusted the levers to better fit my hands they felt much better. Not exactly as snickety smooth as my Miatas were but very positive and mostly quiet, clunk free. Good gearbox, very positive shifting up or down. Brakes, in typical Yamaha fashion, felt very "weak" until they started bedding in at @ 30-40 miles-noticeable improvement.

The biggest pleasant suprise was her ride and handling compared to my '03. The '03, from the factory, rode as stiff as a cement truck and therefore the handling suffered on the "goat paths" that pass for most back roads around here. I spent lots of tweaking time adjusting the '03 to finally find an acceptable compromise for ride and handling. With the stock settings (rear on soft) the '06 is very nice for both ride and handling. The last part of my lil "test" ride I ran her down S. River Rd-yup lotsa curves. There is a double S that is my personal "challenge". Coming thru the last right hand part, eastbound, the best I've ever done in a car (one of my Miatas with very schhhticky hi-po gumballs) was 86. On my '04 1200R Sporty after finally getting her after market suspension dialed in I hit 87...and I was really trying. Once did 90 on my ST 1300, once. First run thru there on the FJR: 88 in 4th. And she felt GOOD, easily could have upped it a bit. So, to me. that was impressive. She is definately starting to feel very "liquid" in curves...love it!

The engine while not in the hyper crotch rocket category certainly provides "adequate" performance....and then some. As she had 0 miles when I took her out I didn't push her, but even in 82 miles she started feeling stronger. 5th gear roll ons aren't real impressive, but drop her 1 gear and she sure knows how to move.

So boys and girls in a nutshell my new FJR does have a home and my initial impressions are all favorable except her paint quality. Most of the bike is a smooth, liquid deep dark blue, but some surfaces/parts on the fairing assembly are noticeably orange peeled. For a bike of this cost that's not acceptable especially to my critical Industrial Designer eyes. So that needs to be addressed by Yamaha. Given my size (6'2"+, @ 220#s) I suspect I will put bar risers on her asap and possibly a Corbin, too. The stock saddle seems fairly good, but not really comfy/supportive enough for 4-5-600 mile days, at least not for me.

Still...she is indeed one notable bike, and being as "jaded" as I might be after 76 bikes (this FJR is #77), this bike still creates a very positive impression. She has a new HOME! DFO :D

Tried posting the new pic-with saddlebags-that I put in my album on the "other" fjr site...but no go......................

Latest posts