Valve stems

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problems with rubber stems are pretty common. Many folks change out to the metal ones to avoid situations like you faced. I changed mine out with metal ones at the first tire change. One less thing to worry about and if you get the 90 degree ones tire pressure checks are easier too.
I just had my tires changed at the dealer and asked them to put on metal stems. They said those were normally for tube tires and, besides, they do not carry them. They said they never have converted the rubber stems to metal stems for tubeless tires. So, I have new tires now but still rubber stems.
I think it's true that many dealers don't know about and thus don't carry these valve stems. In his ignorance he fed you a total line of crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had my tires changed at the dealer and asked them to put on metal stems. They said those were normally for tube tires and, besides, they do not carry them. They said they never have converted the rubber stems to metal stems for tubeless tires. So, I have new tires now but still rubber stems.
I think it's true that many dealers don't know about and thus don't carry these valve stems. In his ignorance he fed you a total line of crap.
Metal stems for tube tires?!? Tubes come with their own stems! what a tool...

Hmmm...tubes have the stems attached.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike Effects angle valve stems = best farkle ever!!!

I can even check rear tire pressure (and adjust if required) with the saddle bags still on the bike. Mark me down as an extremely happy customer. :yahoo:

Bike Effects angle valve stems = best farkle ever!!!

I can even check rear tire pressure (and adjust if required) with the saddle bags still on the bike. Mark me down as an extremely happy customer. :yahoo:
Why is it so hard to check and add air with the straight stems with the bags on. I have a road gear gauge and have no problems getting to the stems with the bags on (checking or adding air). I think it would be worse with angled stems.

Mine was fine on the back. IMHO the 90 degree stems don't help that much in the back. Especially if you approach the bike from the drive shaft side. But... I cussed the stock valve stem every time I had to check it on the front. Trying to get my phat fingers between the rotors and get the gauge and air chuck in there drove me bonkers. I usually came out of the deal with a divot in my hand from pressing on the rotor so hard. 90 degree valve stems when on the front and it has been smooth sailing ever since. Way, way better. Of course I had to put the 90 degree on the back as well. It probably would have effected the handling or aerodynamics or something if I hadn't.

Mine was fine on the back. IMHO the 90 degree stems don't help that much in the back. Especially if you approach the bike from the drive shaft side. But... I cussed the stock valve stem every time I had to check it on the front. Trying to get my phat fingers between the rotors and get the gauge and air chuck in there drove me bonkers. I usually came out of the deal with a divot in my hand from pressing on the rotor so hard. 90 degree valve stems when on the front and it has been smooth sailing ever since. Way, way better. Of course I had to put the 90 degree on the back as well. It probably would have effected the handling or aerodynamics or something if I hadn't.
The nice part of these is that you can decide which side you would like them to point. Depends on if you are left or right handed or maybe on your garage or servicing layout.

If your planning on getting a tire pressure monitor system that screws on the end of the tire valve i would recommend the short straight metal valve stems instead of the 90 degree stems..
I am going with some 90 degree stems on my next tire change & my monitering says it will work with the stems as long as you have the clearance.

Another option is the milton s-409 straight steel tire valve. milton makes high quality tire and air pressure related items. You can buy them at northern tool. I keep extras in the box for my buds who come over and use my Coats 220 tire changer. They are in My FJR and VFR. Never failed and are easier to air up than stock rubber ones because they are very rigid and do not flex. You do not have to worry about tweaking the old rubber valve and possibly causing a leak. All you do is rip out the old and insert new steel valve, tighten nut and your done with tire valves, maybe forever.

When I installed my 90 degree stems from Bike Effects, I followed the instructions (I know!! What a gurl!!) and put the blue lock-tite on them. It may be that the manufacturer has realized how many manly men don't RTFM and have opted to pre-apply a thread locker on the nuts to protect the non-RTFM-ing butts?

In any case, those stems are the bollocks.

I initially let mine point to the left, but immediately on 1st use, realized the error of my ways. Dress your "stems" to the right so they will be easily accessible when on the SIDESTAND!! Doh! :huh:

Also, I do not want anything to do with any tire pressure monitor that screws onto the valve stem. It's just one more possible air leak. Sort of a self fulfilling prophesy, if you catch my drift.

I initially let mine point to the left, but immediately on 1st use, realized the error of my ways. Dress your "stems" to the right so they will be easily accessible when on the SIDESTAND!! Doh! :huh:
I point both of mine to the left because the bike is parked against the right side wall of my single car garage.

Plus, I check tires on the centerstand, so don't see why it matters, [Fred!]

that way I can spin the rear freely to get the stem at 5 o'clock and then "drag" around the front to get the stem at 7 o'clock

eezy peezy !!!