Wabs, an Itty-Bitty-SixFiddy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Shit..
I hate riding in rain. I suck in rain. I'm from Creston, CA, where it rains 0.45 days per year. On last summers ride to NAFO, the heavy rains came, and I so relinquished the lead to rain-proficient riders (Thanks Lori) soo fast...

And.. today, it's raining in Creston, CA!

So off I go.. Under the best of circumstances, e.g. I'm leaving a nice dry and warm la casa.

I recently purchased a pair of Scott 89 goggles (over Rx glasses) and treated the Scott plastic lenses with copious quantity of RainX.
Hey Don

Somebody had to try this, glad you made it home A-OK! RainX sure works on on the windshield of my Mini Cooper, but then it has a glass windshield.

On the hands thing, I thought you were trying the Hippo Hands? Sup with the glove detail?

dcarver: So what is your current consensus of opinion on dual sport off road tires? Meaning tires for 6,000+ miles for Prudhoe Bay. Or in my case, 4,000+ miles in Mexico two months from now. I went off road riding with six of my buddies yesterday, one of which was SkooterG on GS Jane's 2009 BMW F650GS Twin; same BMW dual sport model as mine is.

GregM and I both agree that stock Bridgestone Battle Wing tires are a joke off road, especially when we hit snow and ice.

Why BMW put street tires on a bike labeled a GS is beyond the two of us. One of our group had the Metzeler Karoo tires and they are the bomb off road, but I cannot believe that they will last more than 3,000 miles in a dirt and street L/D tour.

So for Alaska, mi hermano Donaldo: Are you just going to have another set of knobbies waiting for you in Fairbanks or are you going to go with something like the Bridgestone Trail Wings or Metzeler Tourance? Inquiring minds really want to know!

On the hands thing, I thought you were trying the Hippo Hands? Sup with the glove detail?
Hi Jawdge! :rolleyes: I am running the hippo hands now. They work really well, especially since WABS isn't capable of FJR velocities, e.g. they don't collapse on the levers. Of course, having the hand guards to support the Hippo's is the key. The problem is still the same - hippo hands on or off - that being water flowing into the gloves right off the inner liner. With the hippos, the gauntlet is still exposed to outside rain, no protection at that critical junction. I bought some water proof gloves to wear under the outer gloves - but it hasn't rained hard enough to really test them yet.

dcarver: So what is your current consensus of opinion on dual sport off road tires? Meaning tires for 6,000+ miles for Prudhoe Bay. Or in my case, 4,000+ miles in Mexico two months from now. I went off road riding with six of my buddies yesterday, one of which was SkooterG on GS Jane's 2009 BMW F650GS Twin; same BMW dual sport model as mine is.
GregM and I both agree that stock Bridgestone Battle Wing tires are a joke off road, especially when we hit snow and ice.

Why BMW put street tires on a bike labeled a GS is beyond the two of us. One of our group had the Metzeler Karoo tires and they are the bomb off road, but I cannot believe that they will last more than 3,000 miles in a dirt and street L/D tour.

So for Alaska, mi hermano Donaldo: Are you just going to have another set of knobbies waiting for you in Fairbanks or are you going to go with something like the Bridgestone Trail Wings or Metzeler Tourance? Inquiring minds really want to know!
Hey BeemerDons- You're right, anything less than a full knobbie on a DS bike is a joke. I need to amend an earlier post where I pretty much trash talked the TKC80 tires because I'm still running those tires... it seems, and this is not empirical Jeff Ashe data mind you, but it just seems to me that the first 50 to 60% wears pretty damn quick. The last 30 to 40 % seem to wear longer. I need to cruise AdvRider.com and see if anyone else has posted similar observations. Perhaps as the tire wears down, the knob becomes firmer, with less squish and wear?
I rode 70 miles today in rain and mud. With the TKC80 at 75% wear status, it sure didn't bite as well in mud as when new - but then again, even when worn down, it's still better than a TrailWing or equivalent. See my next post for some mud pix :rolleyes:

Regarding Alaska - I'm still considering the options, decision will be based upon time off and money. If I have time and money, I'll run the TKC's all the way. Have a new set waiting in Fairbanks, as you mentioned. Unless I carry them on the bike of course. Then again, if I ship the bike to FB, all these issues go away.

BTW - The TKC80's handle fantastic in the street. I know the Beemer 650 has more hp and all - but corner speed is pretty much corner speed and a 650 only has so much of it.. I've not yet had the TKC's let loose on pavement, dry or wet. I surprised a local FJR pilot recently by staying right on his ass all the way through 229 with all it's undulating sinuous corners (geesh, i feel dirty talking like that!) Sure, a TrailWing or like is better for the street; but I bought this bike to ride Off-Road too, so why limit the dirt when the cost on the street is negligible?

I've read that the Karoos wear even faster than the TKC's. I'll most likely try a set before Alaska, just to test.. but for now, I'm pretty sold on the TKC's.

[SIZE=12pt]Wabs is a Dirty Gurl![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Wow - so many miles since last post and the Alaska 2010 quest... [/SIZE]

Given that it *may* rain on my normally sunny (Alaska) parade , I decided it would be good to ride WABS every rain chance occurring on the central Kali koast.. e.g. not often. But Feb of 09 has been good to us, wet-weather duck-wise, and like a good quacker I left the safe n' dry Hondarosa for a 70 mile, 6 hour long ride.

Why 6 hours for 70 miles? Because 1) I'm the Candy Butt Association prezident and like to sniff posies, and 2) it was freaking muddy and slow going!

So, to start, here is WABS in her current fighting trim; tires are Cont TKC80's with about 3k on them. I did not take the digie camera for the ride cause it was raining and the camera is new. I'll get over that shit real soon I imagine.

2-DirtyGurl1.jpg

The HippoHands are working out well - they really help in keeping hands warm. Harley-D-Dawg yawns 'yeah right, whatever'.

3-DirtyGurl2.jpg

Current cockpit shots, I guess I should start keeping track of miles for the 2 million challenge, WABS now has +4k on her.

4-Cockpit.jpg

5-Cockpit2.jpg

And here is my road, from the Hondarosa, to safety of pavement; an Alaska primer perhaps?

BTW, this shit is really slippery. 3 to 4 inches of 'goop' on top of hard pack.. I got out of the 4wd Ford F250 (ol Blue) to take this pix and promptly fell on my ass..
6-Slippery.jpg

Note: hubs locked, going sideways... Any FJR pilots wanna come play? LOL.

10-Sideways.jpg

I am happy the dry central Kali coast has been getting some rain - we are in a 3 year drought, and so far, even with the Feb 09 rains, the resevoirs are not filling up due to the dry earth simply soaking up all rain; so far no run off has filled our lakes and streams, but as you can see, the ground now is saturated.. one or two more good storms and we might be ok this summer to keep the lawns green, take showers and baths and generally have fun with water.

And, of course, it's been great motobike fun (trademark, RJ, all dues paid) to learn what works and doesn't work while riding in rain, mud, slop and glop.

Signed,

Loving Life, living to ride, and really enjoying this short go-round called life..

[SIZE=8pt](Thank You TWN) :****: [/SIZE]

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=114824&hl= Mi Hermano Donaldo: I went dual sport GS riding with DickHead Marbach and I've made the decision that I'm going to go with the Avon Distanzia tires for my April Mexico Ride.

Latest off road ride I went on, up Apache Trail and over Four Peaks Trail, with SkooterG on 2/20/08 is going to be a close equivalent to my upcoming ride to Real de Catorce in Central Mexico. Only major difference is that our ride last Friday was 75 miles worth of dirt; whereas, our upcoming GS Adventure in Zacatecas and Sierra Madre Oriental is 750 dirt miles!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=114824&hl= Mi Hermano Donaldo: I went dual sport GS riding with DickHead Marbach and I've made the decision that I'm going to go with the Avon Distanzia tires for my April Mexico Ride.
Latest off road ride I went on, up Apache Trail and over Four Peaks Trail, with SkooterG on 2/20/08 is going to be a close equivalent to my upcoming ride to Real de Catorce in Central Mexico. Only major difference is that our ride last Friday was 75 miles worth of dirt; whereas, our upcoming GS Adventure in Zacatecas and Sierra Madre Oriental is 750 dirt miles!
I had Distenzia's before installing the TKC's. Trust me on this one - as long as you're on pretty good hard pack, or if the going is gooey but you can dig down to solid terra firma, the Avon's work ok, and are great on the pavement. But, if the going gets real gooey, you'll be phooked.. :rolleyes: I imagine most of the route in Mehico will not be wet, muddy, or worse.

Hey Don,

Don't know if you or anyone else has noticed this, but 'nut's ridin' with ya!

twn-1.jpg

The "One Fingered Salute" x 2 is with you always.

Hey Don,
Don't know if you or anyone else has noticed this, but 'nut's ridin' with ya!

twn-1.jpg

The "One Fingered Salute" x 2 is with you always.
RadioHowieRodin, you crack me up - and YES I had noticed the TWN Fingers one early morning, at daybreak, when looking through fogged goggles... that hey, that looks like the bird! Laughed for 2 miles afterward, and still do today.
Of course, of all the board phucks, it figures you'ld be the first other to notice!

Hugs n Kisses, :****: :rolleyes:

Don, Pardon a little hijack. Just outa curiosity how does the plastic cover over your V1 work for ya, adequate solution? Maybe just put it away and slow down in the rain is a better idea? I haven't pulled the trigger on a detector yet, and I am leaning toward the Valentine; but I like the idea of mounting it on the left fom a performance standpoint and wonder if the left biased display isn't going to be hard to see?

Don, Pardon a little hijack. Just outa curiosity how does the plastic cover over your V1 work for ya, adequate solution? Maybe just put it away and slow down in the rain is a better idea? I haven't pulled the trigger on a detector yet, and I am leaning toward the Valentine; but I like the idea of mounting it on the left fom a performance standpoint and wonder if the left biased display isn't going to be hard to see?
I ruined one X50 rain riding last summer while underway to NAFO. Storm came up, no place to really stop, cost me 100 bucks to repair IIRC. Sometimes slowing down and stopping ain't in the cards.. lol. I mounted mine right side, I don't know why.. left makes more sense.
The plastic cover seems to work well - so far all is good. Can still cancel the audio by pressing on the plastic, and it's kept the detector dry, even after 2 rainy days and one hose washing.. I think I got this from gool ol' what's his name.. Marc Parnes...

THX! Appreciate your perspective... Just thinkin', one way or t'other I fugure to use one of M.P.s remote LED displays, so the detector screen will be my secondary reference point anyhoo, ...once the binders are applied I guess if I wanna know where LEO is I can take a second to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
THX! Appreciate your perspective... Just thinkin', one way or t'other I fugure to use one of M.P.s remote LED displays, so the detector screen will be my secondary reference point anyhoo, ...once the binders are applied I guess if I wanna know where LEO is I can take a second to look.
I split the audio into the MP LED's and also to the StarCom - audio and visual. WAKE UP BOY!

Calling Kreston Kid to the White Courtesy Phone at Longbranch Saloon! Calling the Kreston Kid to the Loading Chute phone!

Mi hermano Donaldo: Please call me at 480-917-3863 or post me [email protected] at your very earliest convenience.

My 2009 Edition of the Alaska Milepost and Alaska Trip Planner Map arrived today, so I will mail off my well worn 2003 55th Anniversary copy of these items to you. I leave for Dublin on Saturday, so I want to get them in the mail before we go Eire!

Skooter and I rode some sandy roads down in Mexico; we reminisced at lunch today!
You on a diet?
RadioHowie: Hombre, I need to be on a diet! Seeing pics of myself on the beach in Rocky Point last weekend was muy feo!!

Since I was paying for lunch we had a full meal; if SkooterG is paying he orders 2 cups of soup, 2 crackers and 2 ice waters!

Calling Kreston Kid to the White Courtesy Phone at Longbranch Saloon! Calling the Kreston Kid to the Loading Chute phone!
Mi hermano Donaldo: Please call me at 480-917-3863 or post me [email protected] at your very earliest convenience.

My 2009 Edition of the Alaska Milepost and Alaska Trip Planner Map arrived today, so I will mail off my well worn 2003 55th Anniversary copy of these items to you. I leave for Dublin on Saturday, so I want to get them in the mail before we go Eire!
Cool, Thanks BeemerDons! PM sent your way with info. Looks like retirement has struck and you are after it!

I will come and play in the mud Don, but wait can i use your FJR?????
R
Fairlaner... to which Don do you speak? Of course you can NOT use MY FJR as I know the results... :rofl:

Skooter and I rode some sandy roads down in Mexico; we reminisced at lunch today!
You on a diet?
RadioHowie: Hombre, I need to be on a diet! Seeing pics of myself on the beach in Rocky Point last weekend was muy feo!!

Since I was paying for lunch we had a full meal; if SkooterG is paying he orders 2 cups of soup, 2 crackers and 2 ice waters!

Just curious. I'd expect having lunch with Das Skoot would be a great way to lose weight....as in not being able to keep anything down. :)