Wabs, an Itty-Bitty-SixFiddy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tire change yesterday, replaced the worn TKC80 with a new one. Learned how to remove WABS rear tire without having to first loosen the chain. Been keeping track of all tools needed to perform maintenance, and learning how multiple use tools are mandatory to save weight and space. Next tire change will be done without the Harbor Freight tire changer, as it won't be available to me in Alaska.

The new tire.

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

Tire depth

DSC00234.jpg

This stuff is simply amazing - so much better than soapy water, wd40, etc. Never had a tire install so easily. Highly recommended..

DSC00239.jpg

Sophisticated balance jig, LOL

DSC00241.jpg

Cockpit views - just installed XML Radio antennae using an FJR 1300 SkywayMotorcycleAccessories.com antennae plate.

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

Tire change mileage = 15,276

Next thing to work on is the stupid center stand, it drags hard in left hand corners. All in all, WABS is proving to be a good reliable ride, worthy of an Alaskan run!

Thanks for reading along..

Kool Kreston Kid: Did the 2003 Alaska Milepost and AK Trip Planner Map arrive at the Hondarosa? If not, please do let me know at [email protected] or 480-917-3863. I did send it book rate, but paid a tracking number shipping accountability.

Went ahead and bought Avon Distanzias for my upcoming Real de Catorce y Zacatecas, Mexico DS ride; will file report here!

Hey BeemersD, the book did arrive! Woot Woot and free drink of your choice next time I see you! It's still in the wrapper, I'm saving it, just like my virginity!

I'm saving it, just like my virginity!
Dam, I think Hell just freezed over!!! :dribble: :dribble:

By the way, I'm really enjoying my Big Ugly Gurl Katoom!!! Being a street guy all of my life, it's weird learning to turn with your legs and not your hands and spinning the rear tire as you go around a corner in the dirt. One thing that's really hard to get the guts to do is roll on the throttle and lean back as you go over a jump. Right now I must have the worse form doing this and look like an absolute wing nut!! :unsure: :dribble:

I'll tell you it's whole new world out there in that there dirt!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Kinda surprised you didn't exercise the old kickstand method of changing a tire. I would really have liked to see some photos of that, and it's a useful technique to know if you are really stuck for tools and whatnot.

Kinda surprised you didn't exercise the old kickstand method of changing a tire. I would really have liked to see some photos of that, and it's a useful technique to know if you are really stuck for tools and whatnot.
That will be the next go-round.. to remove from bike, break bead, remove tire from rim, install and inflate with just tools on the bike.. gonna need a beer for that one!

Don, are you riding to Alaska this summer or next? Reason I am asking this is because two of our BMW Club Members at https://www.azbeemers.org are riding to AK this Summer; they're really good guys and I thought you three would hit it off!

One is AZBMWRIDER - Mike Froehlich, an airline pilot for Southwest Airlines; and the other is Geoff Oprandy - ROUNDEL, Merrill Lynch exec. Both are heavy duty off roaders, with tons of experience! Both are BMW R1200GS Adventure riders.

They are both friends of Greg "SkooterG" Marbach, but please do not hold that against them! If your Alaska trip is next Summer, then I'll be your AK Huckleberry, Mi Amigo! Geoff's: https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1775.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, are you riding to Alaska this summer or next? Reason I am asking this is because two of our BMW Club Members at https://www.azbeemers.org are riding to AK this Summer; they're really good guys and I thought you three would hit it off!
One is AZBMWRIDER - Mike Froehlich, an airline pilot for Southwest Airlines; and the other is Geoff Oprandy - ROUNDEL, Merrill Lynch exec. Both are heavy duty off roaders, with tons of experience! Both are BMW R1200GS Adventure riders.

They are both friends of Greg "SkooterG" Marbach, but please do not hold that against them! If your Alaska trip is next Summer, then I'll be your AK Huckleberry, Mi Amigo! Geoff's: https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=1775.0
Next summer for me, mi amigo. 2010. I'd love to ride AK with you. I think I can out run you, meaning the bears will.., you know... :lol:

[SIZE=12pt]The times, they are a changin'[/SIZE]

An interesting and bizarre turn of events the last 3 months have forced me to consider canceling the 2010 AK trip. :angry2: Right when you think you've got it all dialed in, shit happens and you realize how very little influence your have on your happenstance.

Unless, of course, you are willing to take major risk. As in change of job, roll the dice. The economy sucks, my investments are now worth the paper I wiped my ass with, and to make it worse, the uhhh, 'waste-water' system at the Hondarosa needs be sucked clean. To bad I built the back deck over the damn access holes, eh?

My hands now are suffering from RA, the left hand, first two fingers, are pretty much useless now. Another reminder that time, my friend, is not on my side any more.

So, what to do? I say :****: , plan for the AK 2010 trip as if there are no worries, do NOT admit defeat against the economy, health, and personal issues.

Roll the dice is my answer, ever since I've been 16 I've wanted to make a run like this, and now, at 52, I appreciate the shortness of breath that soon awaits me.

I've been reading many AK reports on AdvRider.com, and BeemerDon's sent me a MilePost. Some other local buds are interested, and BeemerDon's may be on the 2010 agenda too. A concern is that the group not get too big. Perhaps Highlander had it right, ride alone. Then again, it's great fun to share an adventure with like-minded folks.

One thing for sure - I AM going. Alone or with small group. I need plan to ride alone, be self-sufficient and not reliant upon others.

This should be good, :lol:

... more later

Roll the dice is my answer, ever since I've been 16 I've wanted to make a run like this, and now, at 52, I appreciate the shortness of breath that soon awaits me.

One thing for sure - I AM going. Alone or with small group. I need plan to ride alone, be self-sufficient and not reliant upon others.

This should be good, :lol:

... more later
I say you should stick to your plans until you MUST cancel. Who knows what may transpire in the next 6-9 months (we are all hoping for a miracle, right?).

You know that our friend, Highlander, made it alone. You might consider talking with Dave, too.

Don, You certainly have the skills to ride Alaska alone! Since riding up to Alaska and back in the Eighties on a motorcycle was just part of my job as an AK Pipefitter for me back then: I have never seen it as a big deal. It is a long way, but you just ride it a mile at at time anyway! Just keep me posted when you think you might shove off North from the Honderosa.

Since I have now retired from the Metro Mechanical working world, my riding schedule is extremely flexible. Two or three weeks notice is all I need to make arrangements with caring for my Son Seth with his Mom Jean. My other son (illegitimate bastard), SkooterG, can be looked after by vectervp1 or Badcat. Is it also a time issue that you are facing on this AK trip?

I've never had any of my motorcycles owned since 1963 on a trailer before I went with my buddy Brian Boles to Central Mexico last month! But BB works for Microchip Corporation here in Chandler and he could only get away from work for just 1 week only. I now see why some people trailer their bikes long distances: To start off a much longer ride for the scenery!

Just some food for thought: If you can only spare a certain amount of time for this trip due to work, we can put Wabs and Salma on a trailer behind my Jeep Liberty Diesel and "team drive nonstop" straight up through to Jasper, Alberta, Canada.

We can go up by way of Deh Cho Route, Campbell Highway, Klondike Loop; and back the Cassiar and Yellowhead Highways.

You ride Wabs to Chandler fully loaded up and I'd drop you off again in Creston, CA. Oh Boy, drinking at the Longbranch!!!

Two or three weeks notice is all I need to make arrangements with caring for my Son Seth with his Mom Jean. My other son (illegitimate bastard), SkooterG, can be looked after by vectervp1 or Badcat.
You make many good points Mr. BeemerWienerDonnieBoy, but this is the best of all!
I should know by end of next week if a new job is confirmed. I've been offered, I've accepted, contingent upon some details. Immediate supervisor is good with agreement, now HR gets to play. If it comes through, I'm a definate and should have cash to play with too! :clapping:

[SIZE=12pt]Farkling, Part one[/SIZE]

So then, after reading many AK reports, I realized poor ol' Wabs needs better suspension.. My bud Wayne, who is a true street terror hide the kids hooligan, said he just bought these 'Intimidators' that are *supposed to* greatly reduce front end dive on Wabs types of bikes.

Since Wayno has more $$$ than sense, he bought first and we tried them out.. They work! So I, el-chicken-shitoo, ordered too..

DSC01593.jpg

They were very easy to install, and after Wayno and I went on a, uhhh, SPIRITED ride (basically breaking every law in the book), I had to have them too.

DSC01595.jpg

Some install pix on Wayno's bike

DSC01502-1.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

I need some firmer fork springs though..

OK, enough for now.. next post.. lots of new stuff from EagerBeaver for electrical stuff. Slowly but surely, Wabs n Me will be ready for the Dalton!