What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped that pig of POS Gen II. For the fourth fucking time in the 17,000 miles I have owned it. I can't believe it. I dropped my Gen I FJRs twice in 355,000 miles.
WTF?

grrr.gif
Hahaha! When I posted that I found the FJR to be tall and difficult to manuever in parking situations, the experts advised the problem was me. Well of course it is me (short of leg) and the FJR which is TALL and DIFFICULT TO MANUEVER IN GRAVEL, SIDE SLOPES, ETC when parking, backing or getting under way. Get her rolling and all the problems go away. Shorty Bill

Dropped that pig of POS Gen II. For the fourth fucking time in the 17,000 miles I have owned it. I can't believe it. I dropped my Gen I FJRs twice in 355,000 miles.
Please tell us what caused the fall.

I was gonna type some other smartass shit... but I don't know you well enough yet, and I am actually interested in the answer
weirdsmiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. lets stay on subject! There is enough oil threads to go around.

Road the black widow all week sofar. 32 chilly degrees on the way in this morning. She purred like a kitten. I ordered all the parts to rebuild the shocks last night and will be doing that soon I hope.

Dave

No need to stay on topic, really since this bad boy of a thread is already located in NEPRT, an R10 free zone.

But I assume that you meant that you'll be rebuilding the forks? If you really meant the shock, what special tools did you need to get?

I'm still waiting to get my shock back from GP and I'll be rebuilding my forks (for the first time @75k miles) when it gets here. Seals, bushings, springs and GP valve kits. Seals and bushings are still good as far as I can tell, but I figure at 75k it's just a matter of time and a few more miles before they won't be, so now is as good a time as any.
I thought R10 was forum wide? Not the first time I would be wrong and it won't be the last.
fool.gif

Yes I will be rebuilding the front forks which is way overdue. All the parts should be here this week. I didn't get any new springs. Not sure if that's going to be a mistake when all is said and done. I missed a good deal on a low mileage OEM rear shock. I am hoping another deal comes along eventualy. I don't plan on dishing out the 1K+ for a wilburs or Penske any time soon.

I ordered my parts from Cyclepartsamerica.com using the list that FJRed put together. I will be closely anylizing that thread again before I start the job.

Edit: Road to work again today 32 balmy degrees and passed several cars to boot.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

I was gonna type some other smartass shit... but I don't know you well enough yet, and I am actually interested in the answer
weirdsmiley.gif

Answer is......... Skooter's using the wrong oil.

Back on topic

Spent most of the day in the garage today. Got a real shinny FJR now.

WTF?

:grrr:
Only manly men ride gen 2's...

All others tip over!

Hugs n kisses!

Yes I will be rebuilding the front forks which is way overdue. All the parts should be here this week. I didn't get any new springs. Not sure if that's going to be a mistake when all is said and done. I missed a good deal on a low mileage OEM rear shock. I am hoping another deal comes along eventualy. I don't plan on dishing out the 1K+ for a wilburs or Penske any time soon.I ordered my parts from Cyclepartsamerica.com using the list that FJRed put together. I will be closely anylizing that thread again before I start the job.
You can swap out fork springs any time. They only run you about $100.

You also might want to consider having Race-tech re-build and re-spring a stock shock for you, especially if the used one you score is older. They can machine it for a nitrogen re-charge port so the shock can be rebuilt. Getting it sprung right would probably make a big difference. Not sure what the total cost of that would be, but has to be more cost effective than an aftermarket replacement. Might be worth asking about.

WTF?

grrr.gif

WTF?

grrr.gif
Balance issues? Not uncommon in a very dry climate like AZ. The rocks in your head, those little crystals in your inner ear may be the cause. Try standing on one leg for 30 seconds, if that's easy, do it with your eyes closed. If you feel any dizziness at times, like when standing up quickly, that's another sign, possibly caused by dehydration. I really don't think it's a GEN2 issue.
no.gif

BTW, it's another one of those aging issues. If it gets worse, a couple therapy sessions will put everything back to normal.

WTF?
Apparently you took the training wheels off too soon.

WTF?

grrr.gif
Must be that damned stock suspension!!
mda.gif

WTF?

grrr.gif
Hahaha! When I posted that I found the FJR to be tall and difficult to manuever in parking situations, the experts advised the problem was me. Well of course it is me (short of leg) and the FJR which is TALL and DIFFICULT TO MANUEVER IN GRAVEL, SIDE SLOPES, ETC when parking, backing or getting under way. Get her rolling and all the problems go away. Shorty Bill

weirdsmiley.gif

WTF?

grrr.gif
Would Radio Howie please report to the to the white courtesy phone..
Pretty sure it must've been a wardrobe malfunction.....

04-shoe.jpg

My wife called me at work and said she needed me to pick up some things from the store on my way home - a gallon of milk, a gallon of orange juice, a gallon of apple juice, and a few other miscellaneous things. No problem.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take out my rain/cold gear bag, which completely fills up my left saddle bag. But with a little effort I was able to come up with a workable solution.

The orange juice and apple juice fit nicely in the empty right saddlebag, along with a couple big bags of grated cheese -- my son like's quesadillas for lunch. From the Pelican 1520 on the rear rack, I pulled out my shoe bag (with my street shoes for work) and my insulated lunch bag (empty except for the cold pack on the bottom) -- my electronics (phone, tablet, glasses, misc. junk) bag stayed.

This gave me enough room for the gallon of milk (on its side), a box of Balance Bars, a quart of half-and-half, and a 3 pound bag of salad. The shoe bag and lunch bag went under the elastic cord that criss-crosses on the top of the Pelican case.

Home is only a couple of miles from that store, and everything was safe and cold when I pulled into the driveway.

My wife called me at work and said she needed me to pick up some things from the store on my way home - a gallon of milk, a gallon of orange juice, a gallon of apple juice, and a few other miscellaneous things. No problem.
Unfortunately, I had forgotten to take out my rain/cold gear bag, which completely fills up my left saddle bag. But with a little effort I was able to come up with a workable solution.

The orange juice and apple juice fit nicely in the empty right saddlebag, along with a couple big bags of grated cheese -- my son like's quesadillas for lunch. From the Pelican 1520 on the rear rack, I pulled out my shoe bag (with my street shoes for work) and my insulated lunch bag (empty except for the cold pack on the bottom) -- my electronics (phone, tablet, glasses, misc. junk) bag stayed.

This gave me enough room for the gallon of milk (on its side), a box of Balance Bars, a quart of half-and-half, and a 3 pound bag of salad. The shoe bag and lunch bag went under the elastic cord that criss-crosses on the top of the Pelican case.

Home is only a couple of miles from that store, and everything was safe and cold when I pulled into the driveway.
I think you were looking to reply in the "How I Packed My FJR" thread.

It, too, is NEPRT-worthy, by the way.

Finally burn out all the winter gas and filled her up with some nice fresh spring gas.

Changed out the air in the tires too.