What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldnt deal with the color difference...in the sun it was crazy bad... so I went flat black... Much Better... matched the cases and seat.
TripperMike... I went looking for Bat handle tape, tennis racket tape, or the like... didnt find anything that i liked.

And I'm afraid to use the gritty stair tread stuff as it could scratch things.

Is the ski/skateboard stuff a mineral type grip surface, or rubbery?

Thanks for the tip
smile.png

6.JPG
Still curious, Tig or Mig. Nice job by the way.

I type so much I made you missed the good part
jester.gif
winksmiley02.gif

Nice, I likes it! Tig or Mig? I just started my tig and mig course at the local High school.
Dave
FCAW with a 120volt MIG... my lack of skill and that method are why the ugly welds... even on clean new steel...on metal this light, i just cant get the nice bead i can with GMAW

I'd like to use gas but between the lease cost for a tank and the little bit of welding i do... I don't know that it would be worth it.

The flux wire works great for me on the heavier stuff though (built a front loader for my gt last summer clicky )
Flux Core wire (gasless) through a NAPA FP120 MIG Welder.

It's finally starting to warm up here and I can get something done in my unheated garage. First off, fresh oil...trying Lucas 10W40 semi syn for the Spring. I'll shift to 20w50 semi syn if it ever gets hot enough up here. Also, changed out the gear oil. Was surprised how dirty it was...looked like old engine oil coming out. Getting ready to install admore flashing led brake lights...wish I wasn't so colour blind...there's at least 5 or 6 wires to the tail that I have to sort out.

Farkle shelf full-time to get busy....2 Bro's Titanium mufflers with quiet tips , MC Larry drivers peg lowering blocks , G2.throttle tamer....All patiently waiting....May feel like doing something tomorrow (see dumbass thread elsewhere) foot still sore as hell ,doc sez bones are mending real nice and if I keep this big ass boot on it I can put some weight on it now...Next project is getting the 74 Guzzi Eldorado Cal. off the lift in one piece....and the FEEJR on
rolleyes.gif

Been creeping along with some maintenance stuff. Yesterday I replaced the clutch and brake fluids, no biggie since I installed speedbleeders a few years back. Also found evidence of a leak of what looks like brake fluid, just a drop or 3, so I'll have to run that down. Look like the fluid collects in the plastic under the radiator when on the sidestand and drips out when stood up straight. I say it looks and feels like brake fluid but I'm inclined to look for a coolant leak as after a few hours in the sun the "puddle" evaporates. Maybe a loose hose clamp or something? I did have to top off my coolant overflow tank, it was below low when cold, just a couple ounces of distilled water. I haven't replaced the coolant yet this year.

Installed some Chinese Black levers with Red adjusters, only $27.00 for the pair.

Problem with the Chinese levers is even after you go for a ride about an hour later you want to ride again!!
laugh.png

You don't want to know... but since you asked...!

I found out I had a flat as I left the driveway this morning going to work. Already running close to late for a meeting. Now I had to get the bike put away, get my gear off, transfer everything to my truck and move my sons car form behind my garage door so I could get the truck out. Yes I was a little late getting to work.

So I came home, removed both wheels, then proceeded to remove the left foot peg and punkin to lube my drive shaft splines since the thing was that far along. They looked a little dry on the rear shaft, but not too bad. Tomorrow have new tires installed and install wheels back on bike.

Story behind the flat (I know, this is just like Facebook now...):

Riding home from work Friday. I'm about two blocks form home and I hear a "POP"! I thought I ran over something like a large seed cone from a tree and it shot out from my tire, ran over a box or bottle that popped. I look behind me and nothing is in the street, but what was that noise...

Well this morning it was flat. When I put it back on the center stand and spun the rear tire there was a nice 1.5 inch sheet rock screw sticking straight into the bloody tawr.
sad.png

Good news to the story, thank God I was almost home and it didn't happen on the freeway at speed. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried the 16 dollar raider handguards (amazon)

They looked ok on the site, and i was just goint to use them in cold weather.

Way too junky to put on this nice machine.

Dont bother

Continued from post #2067...

I got my new tires (mounted, balanced, etc), installed the wheels, then..... I got a wild hair and dumped the Dex-cool coolant from the bike and put in regular junk that has no silicates, sulphates, borate and any other 'ates....

Next up, change to braided SS brake lines...
dribble.gif

Installed the admore led brake lights successfully (I think) ...at least they're working. Looks OK although now that I see them I think it would be better if they were brighter. Since the wires I was messin' with were close to the airbox I decided to remove and clean the air filter with compressed air...should be good now for one more season. Tomorrow I hope to tackle mounting and wiring my mondomoto leds. Looks pretty straight forward / plug and play. Not crazy about the on/off so I may go with some marine grade switch instead.

Seems like it's been a while since I posted here. Lets see, I've put on so many fark-skies since I last checked in.

About 8 weeks ago, I picked up a Sergeant off the forum...

CIMG1195.jpg

Here's a pic of my new Clearwater Kristas... or one of them anyway. Really like the new mounting position for my Baker air wing. Can't say enough good things about the Kristas, they literally turn midnight into high noon. And the Bakers give me a nice breeze on my belly for those miserable hot days. It was just under 90 today on the way home from work... and it's not even May yet. Good old Florida.

IMG_0413.jpg

And I have really enjoyed this next one. Now hold on to your hats because NOBODY on this forum, or any other forum that I know of, has ever done this. And hey, maybe it's about time. Someone mentioned a couple posts back that it seems like this thread has deteriorated to guys growling over oil. I don't know about that, but recently I decided that I'd like to sit up a little straighter once in a while when I'm out on the slab. So I pulled off the bar ends that I've had on my mountain bike for 14 years, and put them on the FJR. I posted the whole story: CLICKY HERE.

I JUST LOVE 'EM. They were pretty easy to mount up, and rotate out of the way easily. Gives me a nice 4 inch lift from the bars.

CIMG1423.jpg

As you can see above, they allow me to sit bolt upright. I really like that once in a while when the throttle lock is set and there's nobody around me.

Below, here's a close up so you can get a good laugh, or just to help you think of at least three reasons why you would NEVER want to try this. After all, nobody else is has ever done it... But that's OK. I still can't believe how much I like these things.

CIMG1427.jpg

Was talking with one of my biker buds after work today. He was asking about the bar ends. I was explaining that at this point, they're just an experiment. But I sure do like 'em so far. So there ya go. If nothing more, ya gotta admit, it is DIFFERENT.

Gary

darksider #44

Seems like it's been a while since I posted here. Lets see, I've put on so many fark-skies since I last checked in.
About 8 weeks ago, I picked up a Sergeant off the forum...

Here's a pic of my new Clearwater Kristas... or one of them anyway. Really like the new mounting position for my Baker air wing. Can't say enough good things about the Kristas, they literally turn midnight into high noon. And the Bakers give me a nice breeze on my belly for those miserable hot days. It was just under 90 today on the way home from work... and it's not even May yet. Good old Florida.

And I have really enjoyed this next one. Now hold on to your hats because NOBODY on this forum, or any other forum that I know of, has ever done this. And hey, maybe it's about time. Someone mentioned a couple posts back that it seems like this thread has deteriorated to guys growling over oil. I don't know about that, but recently I decided that I'd like to sit up a little straighter once in a while when I'm out on the slab. So I pulled off the bar ends that I've had on my mountain bike for 14 years, and put them on the FJR. I posted the whole story: CLICKY HERE.

I JUST LOVE 'EM. They were pretty easy to mount up, and rotate out of the way easily. Gives me a nice 4 inch lift from the bars.

As you can see above, they allow me to sit bolt upright. I really like that once in a while when the throttle lock is set and there's nobody around me.

Below, here's a close up so you can get a good laugh, or just to help you think of at least three reasons why you would NEVER want to try this. After all, nobody else is has ever done it... But that's OK. I still can't believe how much I like these things.

CIMG1427.jpg

Was talking with one of my biker buds after work today. He was asking about the bar ends. I was explaining that at this point, they're just an experiment. But I sure do like 'em so far. So there ya go. If nothing more, ya gotta admit, it is DIFFERENT.

Gary

darksider #44
Hey Gary,

I got another idea for ya. How about mounting some more mirrors off the handle bars? (Bull horns)

Dave

(yesterday)

Packed the big blue girl for the next adventure. Meeting 14 of my riding friends in Harrison, AR for a long weekend of twisties. Weather Friday will be crapola, but otherwise it seems promising and, quite frankly, I don't give a $hit. I need a mental health weekend.

Ride report forthcoming....stay thirsty my friends.

Rode to work today without Rain Gear.
weirdsmiley.gif

Guuuuuuurrrrrrrr.

Currently drying out.
And you've been bikin' for HOW LONG? Sorry to hear of your soaker. Hopefully it'll be a nicer day on the way home. But even a wet ride is better than a cage ride. You made the right call to take the bike. Hey--maybe I can FedEx you a quick rain suit and have you ready to ride by the time your ready to punch out? You spoke of some extra mirrors. Hmm. Maybe I can get em' from that guy that was asking if we knew a way to plug up the holes AFTER he took his off? Cool. I'll be the only guy in town with 4 mirrors that I don't pay attention to. One of my liabilities... I don't check them things enough. Hope WinPro is doing well. Good to hear from ya.

Gary

darksider #44

Took it out to try the new race tech gold valves with springs up front and rebuilt OEM shock. After a few tweaks to the initial settup all is great.