What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C & C, I have been wanting to try that Wipe New stuff out on some things but I have been reluctant. Is it worth the money? Thanks for posting that pic.
I think by the time you buy (all the stuff) in their promotion I was into it for a little over thirty dollars. It, by far lasts longer than anything else made to get the black back, so for me, I would say yes. You have to wash the part, getting all and any dirt, oil, wax off, prior to application. Putting it on is really as easy as their infomercial suggests. Do make sure you use the gloves provided (it is some weird stuff in that bottle).

"Wipe New", "Wipe New",

I got nuthin
mda.gif

I pulled the lowers on the fairing, drained the coolant, pull the tank and the valve cover to prep the bike for valve checks tomorrow. Actually I did a set of "As Founds" and it looks like I might be pulling the cams and changing shims. I want a second opinion before I go that far though. Ray is coming over and we will re-measure and discuss options.

Loaded bike on the trailer to take to Bills so he and Ray can do valve check. And..........

C & C, I have been wanting to try that Wipe New stuff out on some things but I have been reluctant. Is it worth the money? Thanks for posting that pic.
I think by the time you buy (all the stuff) in their promotion I was into it for a little over thirty dollars. It, by far lasts longer than anything else made to get the black back, so for me, I would say yes. You have to wash the part, getting all and any dirt, oil, wax off, prior to application. Putting it on is really as easy as their infomercial suggests. Do make sure you use the gloves provided (it is some weird stuff in that bottle).
A little tip......the thicker the liquid the longer it will last.

When picking out tire dressing/ back to black stuff ect.......turn the bottle upside down if clear and see how fast the bubble go's back up....the thicker it is the more Silicone it has (what most of the products have in it) and LESS water.

If it's not a clear bottle just shake compare other products, you can feel how think it is as you shake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode with a couple riding buddies about 350 miles roundtrip from my house near Temecula to The Rock Store in the Santa Monica Alps.

Hung out there for about an hour then rode to NEPTUNES for Lunch.

Rode various roads in the area. Went up DECKER CANYON Rd. haven't ridden that in a long while....nice and smoooooth pavement, MUCH better than LATIGO.....when are they gonna' pave that road, been bad for years!

Left 7am.....got home about 6:30pm......great weather and a great ride!!!

Since we are already in NEPRT...
Concerning Garyahouse's bar ends: I always enjoy Gary's posts and his threads. He seems like a really nice guy and normally I have nothing bad to say about the man.

But NOW... I think Gary is misleading us on this. He keeps saying how he got this idea from his Mountain Bike. He says he rides his Mountain Bike a lot. Well, I have been to Florida and I can tell you for sure there ARE NO MOUNTAINS in Florida. I think Gary is playing with us. I just don't understand his motives yet.

In all honesty, those things do not look that safe to me but I am not going to criticize the man. I hope he never has to prove their safety in a crash.
You're wrong about that, Red. There is one mountain in Florida. CLICKY Of course, Sugarloaf mountain is actually more like sugarloaf hill, and it's so far from my house that the mountain bike's never been there. I ride it on the nice safe bike trails around here. Anyway, concerning the FJR, there is one really big difference in the mounting position and danger factor that I didn't mention. I took an additional picture to show you what they look like on the bike when I'm actually riding.

CIMG1431.jpg

As I said, they ROTATE. I rotate them back toward me when I wanna use them. My hands rest on them about 4 inches from the grips. Can you spell, A-H-H-H? Anyway, they would not BE on the bike if they didn't rotate easily. I set them loose on purpose. Only when I want to use them do I pull them back into the position that worry most of you fine fellers so much. But then, at that time, the time that I'm actually using them, I'm all alone out on the slab. That is not the time and place where "get off's" occur. The chances of some tragic "get off" at that place and point-- are about equal to getting struck by lightning. AT ALL OTHER TIMES, they're safely rotated up and out of the way. I got to use them yesterday while heading up to the Leesburg Bikefest. Took a ride up with Screwball Dave (from this forum) and his brother Jim. I was all alone, tooling along at about 65; I rotated them back (takes just a split second) and let's see.... how to you spell, "A-A-A-A-H-HH? After a brief stint of sitting Goldwing upright, I gave both a little push, up out of the way, and back to the normal riding position. Just that simple, and speaking of simple, they are (for me) simply wonderful. Besides, if I do indeed crash and burn someday, it will probably be because of the dastardly CT on the back. Everybody knows how dangerous those things are. Do you know how many close calls I've had on that thing since I put it on 23k miles ago?

Zero. Unless you want to count the nail and subsequent plug it's worn for 90% of that time.

Gary

darksider #44

Guess I should pass along my thank-you's to all you wonderful mothers who have attempted to keep an eye on this wayward son. I"ll be careful, mom, I promise.

Gary,

You gotta get them things powder coated black!
bad.gif
Otherwise the prestige of the forum will be ruined.
tonguesmiley.gif

I walked by the feej this moring as I got in the cage and headed up to NH to see the grandson. The good part was I did go over 100mph in the edge.
yes2.gif

Dave

Gary,
bad.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

I walked by the feej this moring as I got in the cage and headed up to NH to see the grandson. The good part was I did go over 100mph in the edge.
yes2.gif

Dave
Hey Dave

Good to hear from ya. How's the machine shop bus. going? Hope yer stayin' busy. Did you say, "Powder coated?" I don't even know how or where. Pbly cost me an arm and a leg. Anyway, I'm just now decidin' that I'm gonna keep 'em. I figure... with all the grief i've endured on the forum the last few days, I can't back out now. Seriously, I really like these things. They work as well on the motorcycle as the did on the mountain bike I've ridden all these years. I'm so tickled that I thought of this. I really enjoyed getting to sit up straight for a little while yesterday while out on the slab. They work just like I hoped they would. But powder coat? Just how does one go about that? Do I send them somewhere?

Gary

darksider #44

Oh yeah, you said,

" I walked by the feej this moring as I got in the cage and headed up to NH to see the grandson. The good part was I did go over 100mph in the edge."

--Not sure I understood what that meant. Ugghh, maybe I'm a little slow?

Harbor freight has a system (clicky) for 60 bucks... and some powder (clicky2) for 5.50... youd also need an oven (not your kitchen one.. i'm betting fumes or odor on this.. or angry wife) as the HF oven is 500$$ ... I would probably look for a yard sale toaster oven...

I have been itching to try this.. waiting for the right coupon.... (I already have an old toaster oven save for just this type of thing....)

theres a couple youtube videos on How to...

Thanks B-dub-v. Appreciate the suggestion. However, I'm thinking that I prbly wouldn't get'r done. I can be a procrastinator and stuff like that tends to get stuck in a corner... thanks to a disease I have, I find myself feeling kinda tired most days and I rarely have enough steam left over after work to do much in the workshop. Thinking that this wouldn't be a good investment for me. If you need a coupon for Harbor Frieght, they can be found in the back of most motorcycle mags. I get em all the time. I'm looking at a 20% off coupon in the back of my latest issue of Cycle World. I can send it to ya if you like??? However, the unit you mentioned is on sale. That might mean that the coupon can not be used... not sure.

Gary

darksider #44

Gary...Any reputable plating shop in your area should be able to powder coat them for less than $20. BUT...I think uiu should leave them as-is. That way any Forum member with "half a brain" can not only ridicule you for your idea, but for how it looks as well.

Of course, we all know "those" Forum members can suck it. Keep it up!!

Gimme a break...Motorcycles are dangerous, gravel is dangerous, cars are dangerous, speed is dangerous, plugging our tires is dangerous, throttle locks are dangerous, bikes without ABS are dangerous, bikes without traction control are dangerous...

Holy shit...Waking up in the morning is dangerous. Boo-hoo...

hehehe...Thaks for the offer :)

I hope you have enough steam to ride yer Feejer :) I dunno how Florida is.. but its FJR weather here in upstate NY

I am the king of HF coupon clipping.. i get cycle world and some home handyman magazine.. both have great coup's evry month.. and.. im on the HF email list so get good ones there.

Was there yesterday.. got another free voltmeter, some microfiber clothes (to clean the Cee B. windsheild)..and a bunch of little stuff.

I'm waiting for a coupon for the powder coat setup and for a dustpan ;) ...the sale price is good.. im waiting for awesome ;)

Gary,
bad.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

yes2.gif

Dave
Hey Dave

Oh yeah, you said,

" I walked by the feej this moring as I got in the cage and headed up to NH to see the grandson. The good part was I did go over 100mph in the FORD edge."

--Not sure I understood what that meant. Ugghh, maybe I'm a little slow?
Hey Gary,

Staying busy for sure. Fixed it. A can of Krylon Black would be cheap enough. Just sayin.

Dave

Dave

found one of the plastic windshield mount bolts broken and another damaged and another loose all on the same side...replaced them

my OCD purchase of small spare parts came in handy as I had a new set in my parts bin

Ride Safe

Mike

in Nawlins'

I did a little measuring today. Gotta send this off to my buddy Mark. He's got a little steel layin' around the shop and some spare time. My drawing isn't the best, but it'll do the job. I'll have him make me a couple of these... they're slightly different lengths due to clearance issues i'm having at the moment. The changes should allow them to fit just about perfect. Time will tell. Hmmmm... wonder what these is gonna be?

CIMG1436.jpg