What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you think you should finish Carvers fiasco before you enjoy yerself dinknose?
Tear the thing all apart and just say screw it! I'm going out to play. That is so damned wrong.
I'll be lucky if I live long enough to finish Carver's pile. :):):)

Don't you think you should finish Carvers fiasco before you enjoy yerself dinknose?

Tear the thing all apart and just say screw it! I'm going out to play. That is so damned wrong.
I'll be lucky if I live long enough to finish Carver's pile. :):):)
I was gonna exactly echo Bust's reply, but damned if your reply to him didn't shut me the **** up. I MIGHT stop laughing by Tuesday!!!

The forecast said rain - again! So I decided to be proactive and install my new CCT.

First I had to clear a space in my shop - now there's a job for the next rainy day (tomorrow?).

001-5.jpg

Everything went well until I was re-installing the bolt and washer that seals the CCT adjusting hole. The bolt slipped and fell inside the frame, luckily a small magnet taped to a piece of old bicycle cable was able to fish it out.

Didn't take any pictures of the install as it is already very well documented. The old (original) CCT had been working fine, I just didn't want to add my name to the disaster list.
smile.png

Pulled the outer pins from the bars and rotated them forward 5 degrees to try and help with some nerve issues in my right hand... I love the rotation.. I don't love that it moved them forward about an inch (at my thumbs..far more at the bar end).

I think im gonna put em back and wait til I can get the MV riser or the Helibar bridge... I'm kinda torn.. will try it a bit first.

Just some normal maintenance stuff (spark plugs, coolant, etc.) this past week and yesterday I replaced my worn out Vista Cruise throttle lock with a brakeaway fancy one. A bitch to adjust right but it works fine.

Replaced the front brake pads yesterday (37K miles). Seems a little short-lifed, but I'm a 90% + front braker and the FJR is a heavy bike.

I'm intriqued by the difference in the wear of the inner pad:

wornpad_zps9f7de016.jpg

... and the outer pad on each caliper:

notwornpad_zps833f3352.jpg

I thought about swapping the pads, and even just purchasing 1 set, but in the end I went ahead and purchase 2 sets of Yami pads. I did keep both of the 1/2 worn outer pads to get me out of a pinch in the future. Lever is much more responsive now and I guess I'm ready for another 37K plus!

Left to right swap at half their life will greatly extend the interval for a change. I didn't do it on my first set and replaced at around the same mileage. Much better service with a mid-life swap on the next set. Especially important for the expen$ive Gen II pads. Did you clean the pistons and clean/grease the pins before installing new pads?

Did you clean the pistons and clean/grease the pins before installing new pads?

This! ^

The reason for the inners wearing more is that the inner pistons get more road spooge on them, thus they tend to not retract well upon release.

With the caliper off the fork, and pads removed, push the pistons out a little and then clean them as best you can with brake cleaner. Rotate the pistons with your fingers to get at the back sides. They are pretty stiff to turn, but will rotate in their bores with a firm grip.

After cleaning you can test them by squeezing the lever (or pedal) a little and then watch to see that they retract a little bit when you release it.

Left to right swap at half their life will greatly extend the interval for a change. I didn't do it on my first set and replaced at around the same mileage. Much better service with a mid-life swap on the next set. Especially important for the expen$ive Gen II pads. Did you clean the pistons and clean/grease the pins before installing new pads?
Would you say that 18,000 miles is a good estimated time to swap the inners and outers, clean pistons and hardware, and lube the pins ?

I am not a heavy brake user for routine trips...I only use them when I'm going too fast ;) ... but I do lean on the front more when I brake.

Would you say that 18,000 miles is a good estimated time to swap the inners and outers, clean pistons and hardware, and lube the pins ?

I am not a heavy brake user for routine trips...I only use them when I'm going too fast
wink.png
... but I do lean on the front more when I brake.
I always have a good look at them when I change tires. Easy enough to look at them and decide if its time for a swap. Remember to pump up the brakes before riding and that the re-oriented pads will need a little time to re-bed before you will get optimum stopping power. The 2012 has four pads per caliper and one of the right front piston pairs is actuated with the linked rear brake. Due to expense for the Gen II pads, I used EBC HH pads which have lasted as long as the OEM for about half the price. Others have had issues with the EBC. YMMV

I finished off the PRIII at 2,750 miles.....ordered a set of Angel GT's ("A" Spec) next. Still looking for the appropriate balance of wear and grip. I believe my front brakes are going to need pads, will inspect closely when I remove the wheels.

hy2a6uha.jpg

Oil and Filter change w/Mobil 1, 10-40W. New tires F/R w/ BT023T-GT's. Check this and that, Drive Shaft OK, Brakes OK, Rest of fluids OK.

Leave for Utah on Saturday the 8th for a week, can't wait.....

"Did you clean the pistons and clean/grease the pins before installing new pads?"

Yes I did - I used waterproof grease (light coat) on the pins. and I used a tooth brush and some carb cleaner on the pistons. We'll see how it goes.

I'd use caution with carb cleaner on brake parts.

Some carb cleaners contain petroleum products or solvents... I know nothing of the chemical composition of FJR brake parts, but I have seen petroleum products, accidentally put in automotive braking systems, destroy seals, cover gaskets and boots.

While carb cleaner does evaporate very quickly, I would worry It could cause premature degradation of the rubber parts. Carb cleaner is made to break down petroleum residue...rubber is petroleum based. I wonder about the pad lining glue too?

This is just my opinion, I am not stating any facts... in fact, if anyone here is a chemist... I'd love to know more.

(I do admit to using brakleen on everything... except carbs and TB's of course)

I'd use caution with carb cleaner on brake parts.
Some carb cleaners contain petroleum products or solvents... I know nothing of the chemical composition of FJR brake parts, but I have seen petroleum products, accidentally put in automotive braking systems, destroy seals, cover gaskets and boots.

While carb cleaner does evaporate very quickly, I would worry It could cause premature degradation of the rubber parts. Carb cleaner is made to break down petroleum residue...rubber is petroleum based. I wonder about the pad lining glue too?

This is just my opinion, I am not stating any facts... in fact, if anyone here is a chemist... I'd love to know more.

(I do admit to using brakleen on everything... except carbs and TB's of course)
I was going to say the same thing. The one thing that may save him on this use is that most rubber things aren't really rubber (anymore), but are actually neoprene, which is more resistant to petrochemicals than rubber.

But I only use brake cleaner on my brakes. I think it is actually cheaper than carb cleaner anyway.

I replaced my worn inner (or was is outer) pads with the take offs from last brake pad change. Maybe next time I'll remember to rotate their position.

Also bled the brakes and clutch and cleaned and lubed front brake and clutch levers. And even lubed the throttle cables at the top end. Didn't get to do the grease fitting mod for the rear brake pedal. Maybe next time when its 90+ degrees and its better to be working on the bike than riding it. Oops, what did I just say???

Maybe next time when its 90+ degrees and its better to be working on the bike than riding it. Oops, what did I just say???
Then, wouldn't that be parking it for like, 9 months???
Really! It was 93 when I rode to work this evening. Now I am channeling Odot: "Rode it to work, sat on it and (sorry, I don't smoke) then went through the turnstile."

I guess FJReady lives where it is just a little cooler than where we live Howie.

I finished off the PRIII at 2,750 miles.....ordered a set of Angel GT's ("A" Spec) next. Still looking for the appropriate balance of wear and grip. I believe my front brakes are going to need pads, will inspect closely when I remove the wheels.
hy2a6uha.jpg
Wow. That's unbelievable. I wonder if that's a new record for wasting a PR3. You obviously are one AGGRESSIVE rider, sir. Ever consider darksiding that thing with an Exalto? You'd save a fortune on rear tires.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator: