What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I froze my nuts off servicing brake and shifter pedal pivots. Installed an R1 shift link and the peg lowering kit of him (rip) whom we dare not speak.

Then I donned electric jacket and socks, tossed a few tools in the Aussie PoPo box and went on a "tuning" ride. Yep the new suspension is coming along nicely!

As I was enjoying the deserted country backroads and farmlands I kept getting a pain in my knee. This I finally (medically diagnosed) found to be the wad of extra Y cable (tie wrapped to the needed length) that powers my socks from my jacket. So I finished up the day by cutting a perfectly good cable into 3 pieces. Ohh and reassembling it to the desired length. If anyone needs a pain in the knee knot of cable, it's free to good home ;)

Changed oil, filter and final gear oil for the first time on my '14 at 250 miles. Can you believe the oil drain plug required more than 80 ft-lbs to loosen!? I re-tightened all per torque specs.

Btw, I was surprised how dark the oil was and how sludgy the drive oil was after so few miles.

Threw in a set of NGK iridium plugs [$6.49 from Rock Auto].. The old NGK's look decent after 20K..a nice tan burn..

UPS guy just stopped by and dropped my forks off. Woohoo!!! Tomorrow it'll be all back together.

p7m4.jpg

Phil you are about to have great fun!

I have been tuning a pair of AK-20's and a Penske shock bought from another member. As such I didn't have the luxury of a (pre) dialed in setup just for me.

My best results so far have been gained from laps on a route close to home with some twisties, sweepers and a washboard or 2. Getting the front and rear heights in sync has been the ticket. I was running wide, hard to hold my line. I raised the rear a bit at a time until the bike "caught the groove". Its a different bike. I have to learn to ride it all over. Of course if you have already been thru this, disregard my rambling ;)

Phil you are about to have great fun!I have been tuning a pair of AK-20's and a Penske shock bought from another member. As such I didn't have the luxury of a (pre) dialed in setup just for me.

My best results so far have been gained from laps on a route close to home with some twisties, sweepers and a washboard or 2. Getting the front and rear heights in sync has been the ticket. I was running wide, hard to hold my line. I raised the rear a bit at a time until the bike "caught the groove". Its a different bike. I have to learn to ride it all over. Of course if you have already been thru this, disregard my rambling ;)
Thanks for the tips! I screwed around with the stock suspention for a while when the bike was new, but never got it right. I'm looking forward to really getting this thing dialed in now.

Went for a ride. We had unseasonably warm weather today (and should also have tomorrow). Taking advantage while it lasts!

I managed to get out and ride it for a couple of hours. 48 to 52 degrees today. I caught a lucky break mid winter. I took a ride down to Onset beach. The rest of the world just faded away.

Alls good,

Dave

Took Lucille on a PGR mission in Lost Angeles. For those familiar with L.A., Compton & Inglewood.

I know most of us don't live where every house has bars on the windows. Adding that to my list of things I'm thankful about.

The ride home was WONDERFUL.

Yesterday did ride in too KFG Racing full suspension up grade, wet and sanded roads on way in less sand on way back definitely feel a difference, those guy are pretty cool, can't wait for drier roads maybe tomorrow .
bike.gif
Gotta hate having new suspension and not be able to really test it due to wet/cold roads! I had GP do my suspension on a ride-in a few years ago, but they were down near Portland and it never got above 25 degrees that day. I was so bummed having to be a good boy on the way home on the back roads due to icy conditions and even snow when I hit south hill Puyallup.

But don't worry, our 2 weeks of summer is only 7 months away.
wink.png
Then you can really wring it's neck and appreciate the upgrade!
yahoo.gif

Installed my new-to-me Smuggler that I got on ebay last week. I've never seen one in the flesh in the past. They ARE all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did ride in day after our massive snow storm, Green Valley Road was sanded and wet what fun! been out a few more times, bikes ride height is taller and cuts in better and compression is firmer went 2 clicks softer in forks and felt better, now 2 clicks softer in rear but have not got out to try it out, just trying to get sharp bumps out hopefully tomorrow.
smile.png

Did some Garage cleaning the past two weeks and finally got the FJR on the lift after getting a complete rewire on a '74 Shovel done and gone. No real plans for the FJR just a safe spot up and out of the way until a Road King shows up at the end of January.

At least the Canyon Cages provide a decent tie down spot while on the lift.

IMG_0528.jpg

Mid 80s today, so I rode it. For some reason she felt very light today, not sure why, but I really enjoyed it.

Finished plumbing up an aux fuel tank. Wired up a dimmer for the LR4 LED lights. Went for a quick 60 mile ride to make sure everything worked. :)