What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just had a little look see under the windshield....

IMG_1210_zpsd145f133.jpg

R

I changed the rear tire as well as the oil/filter on one of my wife's Beemers. What does this have to do with the FJR you ask? Well now my wife's bike is ready for our 4000 mile ride coming up next week and the FJR will get to go as well.

Washed all the bugs off from the Moonshine Lunch Run, dried and rode her a few miles to get all the water evaporated or blown off

Last edited by a moderator:
First time ever (on any bike) replaced the fork oil , learned how easy it is to remove wheel (also first time ever) - with correct tools - and check front pads.

Observations were after 17k miles and 15 months - right fork oil was "dirty" left fork oil was pretty clear

Oil depth from top of fork was 100 mm on both forks - even though my 2009 FSM says 92 mm - no oil leakage on forks

Allen key seems to work fine for bottom pinch instead of a Torque Wrench - will keep an eye it though

Don't need to do anything to rebound to get cap off with deep socket - as it goes on fine

Don't need a 19mm hex bit on right axle for late gen2 - need a 22mm regular socket for left

Also torque on axle in tutorials is not the same on my gen2 (66lb ft)

with MV Motorad Riser needed to remove left Handlebar to get the 24 mm socket on Cap whilst still on bike

Forum helped a lot with much double checking for later model - took me most of the day - but it was all my first time so i checked and rechecked every step- will be faster next time

First time ever (on any bike) replaced the fork oil , learned how easy it is to remove wheel (also first time ever) - with correct tools - and check front pads.
Allen key seems to work fine for bottom pinch instead of a Torque Wrench - will keep an eye it though
I think that' actually one of the more important parts to torque correctly, because it's really easy to OVER torque those. I don't recall the spec, but it's pretty low. When my torque wrench clicks, it's always "wow, that's all, huh". That soft aluminum can easily be overtightened. When torqued right the two sides on the bottom will nearly touch, but not quite.

I had a busy day:

• Washed the dust off
Holy cow! Checking to see if it's April 1st. D@mn, now I'm going to have to rise to the challenge and wash the dust off of my FJR
wink.png
laugh.png

I'm sure that Greg didn't scrub off any of the hard earned road spooge patina.
wink.png

Actually, I hit it pretty good with soap and water and a sponge, but there are still plenty of marks from dead bugs that didn't come off. I was doing some woodwork in the garage over the winter and the dust was pretty heavy. The new windscreen made the biggest difference in appearance. Now I'm good for a couple more years before I'll have to wash it again.
coolsmiley02.gif

I got out for a 300 mile ride yesterday and had a great time with temperatures in the 80s all through eastern PA. Nice winding roads, out to Ohio, and back through the Western Reserve Amish country. Trees are budding but bare, daffodils are blooming and brown leaves still blow across the road.

I need to wash the bike as it's still got a pretty good white splooge of salt on the front fairing. It sure is different from CA.

Yesterday was the first truly warm, spring like day this year in New Hampshire, and I was toiling away in my office with the windows open, when just after noon I heard the familiar sound of an FJR in the driveway followed by a quick horn toot! It was fellow NERD, and CFR 2011 FJR Dual Sport Team captain, bbdig, stopping by on his way up to an appointment up in Plymouth.

We stood around in the sunny driveway and chewed the fat for a while, catching up after the long hibernation, but all the while I was surreptitiously being swayed toward playing hooky from work for the afternoon and taking my own FJR out for a little spin. Who am I to resist that kind of a taunt?

We had a nice couple of hours back-roading it with very little other traffic to contend with (once we cleared north of Concord) on up to Plymouth on NH 132, which was where we split up so Jack could go off to his appointment, and I took a different "road less traveled" (that always makes all the difference) on my way back home in time for cocktails and dinner.

Thanks for stopping by, Jack. I sure needed the afternoon's diversion.
thumbsup.gif

Last year I bought and installed a set of Clearwater Krista's [3.75 inch diameter/2400 lumen, 8 watts at 20%/70 watts at 100%, mirror mounted] lights.

This year I bought and installed set of Glenda's [2 inch diameter/800 lumen, 24 watts at 100%, fork mounted] lights.

Krista's: off/on switched, dim controller (I leave the Krista's at about 30% on low beam), automatically goes to 100% on high beam

Glenda's: on all of the time, dim with Krista controller (30% on low beam), automatically goes to 100% on high beam

I tested the setup late yesterday evening. Every thing works as expected.
ok.gif

It's amazing how large elk look standing next to the highway.

So late last night at 42 degrees, I had the heated grips [Yamaha], Warm & Safe Heated Liner [90 watts at 100%, would guess I was at about 30%] and both sets of light on high beam all working. They all played together well and I was a toasty as those Southern riders.

Krista's: off/on switched, dim controller (I leave the Krista's at about 30% on low beam), automatically goes to 100% on high beam

Glenda's: on all of the time, dim with Krista controller (30% on low beam), automatically goes to 100% on high beam
So you're using the one controller for both sets of lights?

I've got the Glendas running like you and just installed the LR4s up top but just have those coming on with the high-beams. Now you've got me thinking. (Both sets running through relays btw.)

Went for a 220 mile ride down San Diego county way.

Ate lunch at Descanso restaurant, great Club Sandwich!

Temps in the 80's and Sunny (how rare)

You can tell it's Spring....lots of bugs!!

After looking at the new tire sitting in garage for several months waiting for the PR2 to wear out, I finally got impatient and just dove in.

Pulled the rear wheel and took it &the new tire down to the local motorcycle shop to have it installed.

While that was happening I yanked the Pumpkin & drive shaft and cleaned the splines really good before giving them a good coating of Moly 60 paste.

(I also discovered a secret message inside - don't know how long it's been there! Don has posted it in another thread.)

The shop called and I have everything put back together & torqued.

Tomorrow, we ride!

Mounted a new rear PR3 last night. The PR3 I removed gave me just under 12,500 miles in about 10 months...unfortunately, a great deal of those miles were highway or commuting in the relatively flat lands of Eastern NC. The front PR2 is a few months newer than the rear was and it still looks pretty good.

This weekend will see a valve check, CCT replacement, and probably a TB sync.

Got a few things done done- oil & filter, drive gear oil and spark plug replacement. Leg starting aching, it's been only 10 days since surgery on it, so I quit before I overdid it. The mind is willing but....

Got my bike out for the first ride of the year.

Mounted up my Hella HID's (didn't think they'd fit, the ballasts are LARGE. Theirs room just behind the fairing vent on both sides on the Gen3), and my LEDRider LR4's.

Neither is wired up at the moment. But thats another story.

Here it is, first time for daylight in 2014. 60km on the day. It begins.

Img_1925.jpg

The Millenium Falcon

Img_1926.jpg

Img_1927.jpg