What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode it to work, so today only partly sucked.
Rob,

You should do like me...ride EVERYday!
bike.gif
Riding tomorrow too, so only 15,763 more days to catch 'ya Howie!
43 years??? Don't know if I'll still be riding in 2057. :D

(or still sucking air, for that matter :D :D )

Changed the rear tire. Went from a PR2 (they stopped making it) to a PR 4. Got 14,200 miles out of it. Will change the oil on it tomorrow. current miles 112,350 and counting.

PS Love the new NEPRT title... April fools joke?

Last edited by a moderator:
checked everything, wiped it down.....road for the first time in 2014...what a lovely morning

Going for a ride tomorrow, so I gave her a whore's bath and took off the windshield to give it a proper cleaning. Man, that Plexus makes it look new, expensive...but love it!

Yesterday was sunny and (relatively) warm, so I was able to break out the hose from the snow pile and give the bikes a good bath to wash off some of the nasty salt and road spooge I've subjected them to over the entire, too-long winter.

Took off the FJR's giant barn door Rifle and put on my 3 seasons Cee Bailey shield. She's all ready to go.

Of course now this morning the roads are still wet from an overnight cold rain, so I'll wait till 'later on this afternoon, or maybe tomorrow, to take her out for a spin.

With any luck, I may be able to get the bike out for a first run of the year tomorrow or Monday. Riding over the winter has simply NOT been an option with the amount of snow and very cold temperatures we have had.

Took an hour today to make sure that the bike was good to go. Topped up the battery and checked some torque values on the wheels/ pinch bolts (had the wheel off during the winter and my OCD insisted that I check it again to make sure). Gave it a quick "once over" and started it up for the first time since early December. Ran it for 10 minutes to get it all the way warmed up and promised to visit again in the next day or two.

First time this year I got in a short ride. Ran the first 4 gears to red line at a rapid rate. Lifted the front wheel to salute the new riding season. I think I'm gonna live.

Left it in the garage and took the Manstrom out for a couple of ADV tags yesterday afternoon.

The long, squishy suspension on the 'strom is much mo' better on the incredibly well developed frost heaves in New Hampsha right now.

But with the highs above freezing now, the sap is boiling at the sugar houses and the frost heaves are shrinking daily.

Almost time for an RTE!

Ordered a set of PR2's from JW (free shipping in April) Decided to try a 190/55 this time for the rear. Started at 275 but had a $10 discount.

Current set of PR2's near 12k miles and looks to have a couple k more, these worked good for my riding style.

Added some SW-Motech mirror wideners, put on a Yamaha touring screen, added an MRA X-screen to the top of that, and an Aerostich cruise control. And rode it.

The mirror wideners make a big difference. The touring screen without the X-screen provides very smooth air but not quite as silent as the Cee Bailey that I took off. With the X-screen, it's a little quieter, but I may not be done with it yet. The cruise control works, but I still feel a little wierd taking my right hand off of the throttle. I got that mainly to rest my hand on longer rides.

Started installing my Hella HID's on the '13.

Believe it or not, I managed to get both ballasts installed in the upper fairing! The left side is forward of the glovebox, behind the turn signal. Lots of room there. The right side I had to swear at it some but managed to get installed forward of the battery with the help of a pry bar and a bucket of KY.

Bonus, the front vents beside the headlights will funnel cool air directly at the ballasts.

The rest is easy, bolt up the lights, mount the relay and hook up a couple of wires.

The bike will look like the Millenium Falcon with the Hella's mounted on top of the light brackets, and the LR4 LED's mounted below. I'm pretty sure when I turn the lights to 11, 747's will flash their lights at me.