What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at the risk of being called crazy I flushed my brake and clutch today. They were done 5000 miles ago on a service plan at the dealer.
Nope. It's never a bad idea to flush your brake fluid. But it isn't mileage that matters, only time. So if that 5000 miles was 2 years, you were right on schedule. ;)

The clutch same color. When I took the lid off the clutch it was gray sludge city again. On the service I was called out to see it. It was not as bad, but the reservoir took a lot of q-tips and clean rags to become spotless. Even into the two valve holes was bad.

I would like to know what is wearing, or creates this sludge?
I believe that it is the rubber hoses and seals that stain the clutch fluid. The clutch seals are much different than brake seals. They are designed for a much lower pressure. The big difference is that each time that you operate the clutch you are pushing a much larger volume of fluid up and down the lines to drive the slave cylinder out far enough to disengage the clutch. In the brake system the pads are very near the rotors already, so there isn't nearly as much fluid movement through those lines. It is perfectly normal to see the clutch fluid stained that way, and acts as a nice reminder to flush all of the fluids again (the brake fluid doesn't change appearance much)

On the brakes, does flushing them as I did get to the ABS unit? I guess I should have found some gravel and made the ABS kick in a few times before the change? I do remember a jumper to massage it, and will get that made.
As you infered, regular flushing of the brakes doesn't get all of the fluid out of the ABS pump. To do that you'll want to flush the lines (as you already did), then operate the pump using the test jumper and test procedure, then flush the lines again. It's a good idea to do the test at every flush anyway. Even if you don't flush the lines a second time, any small amount of old fluid released will be diluted by the new stuff. Plus you will confirm that your ABS is actually functioning correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the odometer run over the 850 mile mark.

I wish nice riding weather would arrive in Oregon, OTOH, my bike is getting its share of mini washes in all the rain.

I started to polish the lip on my wheels, I got the rear done and need to finish wetsanding the front, here is the front after I sanded with 240 and the finished rear.

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

I took mt awesome D&D risers off. The bike handles,tighter corners with greater ease at speed at factory spec. The D&D risers helped get me to this point. Injuries and the setup of my previous bike made the stock setup hard to manage. But, I've gain strength to be able to handle the OEM feel of the bike.

What fun!!!

I reinstalled my foam modified left side panel this morning, and dropped off my Motolight base to have the bolthole enlarged from 8mm to 10mm per MotoLights.

I got my new Blue Bomber back from her initial 600-mile service.

Now...off to Myrtle Beach with my wife this weekend. I can't wait to get going...

I started to polish the lip on my wheels, I got the rear done and need to finish wetsanding the front, here is the front after I sanded with 240 and the finished rear.

IMG_3017.JPG
Looks nice Marcus! Now that you've practiced with yours, it's time to fix my ugly black ones. ;)

How are you protecting the wheels, clear?

--G

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

Nice! Me likey LOTS!

I don't think I have the patience to do that without making it look like a dog's ass, or beemerdons face.

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

Nice! Me likey LOTS!

I don't think I have the patience to do that without making it look like a dog's ass, or beemerdons face.
50 bucks per wheel is your rate, yes? :p

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

Nice! Me likey LOTS!

Yeah, those look cool, but now how much work do you gotta do to keep them looking that way? Not that it will really matter as, like Skooter, I don't really have the patience to make them that pretty either.

IMG_3017.JPG
Looks nice Marcus! Now that you've practiced with yours, it's time to fix my ugly black ones. ;)

How are you protecting the wheels, clear?

--G
George,

My original plan was to powdercoat the center/spokes black and polish the edge, that's why I wanted to trade wheels with you awhile back. I used a wax type sealer for polished wheels, it should be fairly easy keeping it looking good, I plan on using polish when it gets a little dull, polishing was the easy part, wet sanding to get the factory casting ridges out was a PITA

Picked up my motolight caliper brackets and started my 50 - 60mm x 10mm x 1.25 pitch caliper bolt search. At the rate I'm going they will not be operational for this weekends ride.

Tried out the Vibranators I installed last night. Still didn't get a long ride in, but initial impression is that the vibration is much improved. As I posted in the other topic, it almost totally removed the shake in the front wheel.