What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mounted a new pair of PR2's at a friend's house. Determined my sticking rear caliper was stuck long enough to overheat the rear rotor and warp it so I'll be ordering a replacement. Day 285 of consecutive riding. 80 to go for a perfect year.

A question for you guys that live in places like the NE or upper midwest where they use lots of salt on the roads. Doesn't all this salt raise pure havoc with your motorcycle when you ride this time of year? My wife hails from upstate NY. When we visit that area every so often I'm always amazed at the condition of vehicles a couple years old, just not pretty. Got to watch out for mufflers and various rotted parts laying about on the roads. Nope, don't go back there in my POV's. Could never bring myself to ride my FJR in those conditions.

Got the harness built to make the STS auto turn cancel plug and play, now just need to find time to finish the install.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mounted a new pair of PR2's at a friend's house.
So...how'd that feel?
coolsmiley02.gif

jammess;

They get ugly on the bottom really quickly. My '15 (10k-ish miles, 2nd winter) relay arm & links are pretty ugly with oxidation. Misc hardware (punkin fill plug) sheds it plating pretty quickly.

I usually only do 1500-2000 miles in the winter, but wouldn't give it up for less oxidation. To me is sorta like stone chips, only way to avoid them completely is use it as a sculpture instead of a consumable motor vehicle. YMMV.

I was going to take the old girl out today but the wife blocked me in. Maybe tomorrow.

Dave

Looked at it as I moved the snow blower. Mother Nature finally butt humped me like one of Bust's sheep. After 294 consecutive riding days my streak is apparently over. I even got up at midnight and went out to check the road situation. It was cold and wet with a light coating of ice already on my driveway making me decide my bike and safety are more valuable than the risk of trying to get in a ride. Cleared the driveway once so far with help from the stepson. Probably around 8 inches of snow and it's still coming down. Guess I'll start over and try again. May have to consider a cheap KLR or maybe a Honda Grom for use when the roads suck.

Changed the oil. Changed the air filter (after 45K miles, it was fairly dirty). Switched from the touring screen back to Cee Bailey, as I'm riding in sub freezing temps several days this week. Switching to the touring screen in Feb was a bit optimistic. But it was in the 70's a lot of days.

The forecast storm passed us by, so once the snow flurries clear out, at least the roads won't have a load of salt on them. No accumulation here east of Pittsburgh. I need to swap the front tire. Might get that done later today.

On Saturday, I got to know my '07 a bit better. I changed the engine oil/filter, changed the FD oil, flushed and bled the clutch and brakes, and discovered the mystery bolt hole on the left side of the engine. After everything was buttoned back up, I messed with the suspension settings a little, and firmed things up. I went for a little ride after that, and tested the ABS to make sure it worked
bike.gif

Next steps are coolant flush, check spark plugs, the CCT, and valves, and then spoon on some new tires in another few hundred miles. I also want to get a new rear shock and springs for the forks, an RDL seat, some aux lights, and highway pegs.

Used it to show how stupid I can be. 26F. 5am. I can throw on overpants, the warmnsafe jacket liner, glove liners, neck gaiter, thin toboggan, and helmet pretty quickly. Start bike, attach liner to glove liners, attach jacket power cord to bike. Backed bike out of garage in L shaped maneuver, like most mornings. Just as I was starting to do the big lean and clicking into 1st gear to start my downhill journey to the street, bike had no power. I had left the sidestand down. Easy fix. But it was disconcerting for a second. Glove liners, or rather, power to the glove liners, was out for some reason. Warm and toasty everywhere except hands. Went from cold, to painful, to nail beds itching. A testament to how nice heated glove liners are.

Looked at it as I moved the snow blower. Mother Nature finally butt humped me like one of Bust's sheep. After 294 consecutive riding days my streak is apparently over. I even got up at midnight and went out to check the road situation. It was cold and wet with a light coating of ice already on my driveway making me decide my bike and safety are more valuable than the risk of trying to get in a ride. Cleared the driveway once so far with help from the stepson. Probably around 8 inches of snow and it's still coming down. Guess I'll start over and try again. May have to consider a cheap KLR or maybe a Honda Grom for use when the roads suck.
Knobbies won't be enough for snow or ice. Don't ask me how I know this.
uhoh.gif
You will need studded tires to make a go of it.

Dave

Dave,

As disappointed as I am about having this streak end 294 days is still an accomplishment and it's made me more determined to hit that "perfect year". I'll start over again within the next few days and by the time winter hits again I'll try to have another bike in my stable more suited to use when the road conditions suck.I'm also going to get some form of a log book to better keep records to substantiate my riding.

In the mean time my replacement rear rotor arrived so I can swap that out for the one that warped when my caliper hung up.

I bought my 07 for a screaming deal, and was pleased to see that it already had an MCCruise installed. Unfortunately, the PO messed with something because he thought the cruise was causing a parasitic battery drain (I think he just didn't ride the bike enough). Last night, I tested all the electrical connections, and it seems that it's all hooked up now (he just disconnected the plug), but it's not working. There is some issue going on with the brake connection. I have emailed MCCruise about it, and am awaiting their reply. I am sad that it's not working, but even if the bike didn't come with the cruise, I would be happy. It's such a great bike!

After messing around with the cruise for about an hour, I buttoned everything back up and went for a short ride, finding some good sweeping corners to test the adjustments I made on the suspension. It feels much more solid now.

Rear brake or front? if rear, there is a good chance that the pivot needs to be cleaned and lubed with a heavy duty waterproof grease. Sticking rear brake lever is common.