What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a short ride (70 miles) along the lake today. Sunny and 59 degrees F today. That is quite unusual for this time of year in Canada.

Got my pillion seat re-worked by Rocky @ BMS Saddles. He already did the front seat and I love it !

I took it out (in February for the first time in history ) for a spin and she runs great , looks great, feels great!
punk.gif

I rolled that baby out of the garage, plugged in my new Gerbing jacket liner, put on my helmet and went for an hour long ride! We don't get many opportunities to ride in February here in the Banana Belt of South Dakota, never had to turn on the Gerbing as it was 62-66F on the ride.

Also spent some time on the KLR checking out all the electrical mods I've accomplished over the past two months, everything worked great save for the LED Voltmeter, the display isn't visible in the sunlight. The Cheapo LED Lights work just fine with the Skene Design controller, the dual USB charging port works great, the LED Turn signals workfine but aren't as bright as I want them to be, may have to loook elsewhere. LED Headlight H-7 bulbs seem fine. Getting ready for the ride to Inuvik!

I went out for a ride to a covered bridge up north, then came back by way of the drag strip and ripped another 3-runs. I tagged the Raceway in the Pennsylvania Tag-O-Rama so hopefullly someone else gets in on the fun.

e7d8f5a8b68cb312d6f8cab5abffaeff.jpg

My 190/55-17 tire just cant put down enough traction on the start. You can see 3 runs from this takeoff. The darkest one in the center was a fail because loss of traction required me to back off. Just to the left of that is a run that went over 100 mph, and to the far right is another good one, but hard to see.

7B712941-0C0C-47C6-AE74-12674281FC2E.jpg

A view returning on the taki strip behind the stands.

2954B025-A3AD-4A1C-80AD-1F319CC2E955.jpg

No bags today.

B42D0C94-3D06-430B-8EA3-95207A2C38BD.jpg

Got out for 25-30 miles on this unseasonably warm (and sunny) February day. Got my first miles on the new Seth Laam. Best thing I can say is I didn't really notice it. Looking forward to many more miles when real spring arrives.

Got another good ride in today. Lots of bikes out today. What's next, palm trees in Canada?

Last edited by a moderator:
I put new Pirelli Angel GT's on the Feejer and got out for a little breaking in this Sunday. We rode it to the motorcycle show and then took her out for a short 3 hr ride.

Let's see...

Saturday it got a well needed bath then a short ride.

Sunday rode to New Holland, PA to meet friends for brunch then to Ft. Indiantown Gap to scout out the Merci Train boxcar location for the "Love and Merci" tour that opens March 1.

Today rode it to work. Day 273 consecutive and if the weather continues to cooperate I may just get my "perfect year".

I posted that same link about a month or so back. I've known Blaine since around 1998 and run into him a few times a year. We're friends on Facebook and chat about some of the troubles of trying to ride year round. He has a few advantages over me though, like owning a dual sport! So far my entire year except for 1 day is on the FJR. The one day was on my wife's BMW F800ST when I found a nail in my tire before I was leaving for work that morning. I grabbed her keys and took her bike.

I don't know if I have enough years to catch Blaine! He's still riding every day and recently got his 600k award from BMW, in fact I was invited to the presentation but couldn't make it due to other commitments.

Yama Alum Rear Rack shake-down run, with trunk & pillion, to Jim's Smokin' Q in Blairsville, GA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wrapped up replacing my rear brake caliper and bleeding brakes. Original was sticking causing severe pad wear. Discovered also that when I removed the caliper the mounting bolts pulled threads out of the caliper body. Took the easy route and just ordered a complete assembly and swapped it out. I'll helicoil my caliper body and rebuild it with new piston and seals to have a spare. Rode to work this morning for day 280 consecutive as my attempt for a perfect year continues.

Just wrapped up replacing my rear brake caliper and bleeding brakes. Original was sticking causing severe pad wear. Discovered also that when I removed the caliper the mounting bolts pulled threads out of the caliper body. Took the easy route and just ordered a complete assembly and swapped it out. I'll helicoil my caliper body and rebuild it with new piston and seals to have a spare. Rode to work this morning for day 280 consecutive as my attempt for a perfect year continues.
Just a thought- for such things I prefer a threaded insert over the spring-type HeliCoil thread repair, especially if the original threads were pulled out of softer material. They are generally just as simple to install but handle the load so much better. My usd.02, YMMV.

Agreed.. on a brake caliper, I'd want the best repair possible - a shift could cause the pads to bind, boiling the fluid, and locking the wheel. Worst case, I know, but it's happened on the front with some bikes, and resulted in serious injury.

Today just looked at it. Although have been getting a lot of riding in this month for being in NW Ohio. Been a few days since I've checked in here-access to a closed drag strip is scary awesome-and something I have never heard of before.