What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed a pair of 2 wheels brake and clutch levers for more adjustability and because black levers look slick.

Took it out for a quick 12 mile jaunt. Day 281 in the books.

FWIW, I worked 16 years part time at a HD dealership and the only batteries to last more than a season or 2 were the OEM ones.Expensive but did hold up with all that vibration.

A Honda battery in a Yamaha bike, Oh the shame !!!

Dave
Imagine if someone put a Harley battery in their FJR? The bike would lose 45 horses, and the mufflers would stop working.
That must be my problem! I have Harley pegs on the sliders on my FJR and it's been running a little rough. ;)

I experienced the joy of weather forecasting. Or lack thereof. My 41 degree, bone dry commute looked suspiciously like 32 goddamned degrees and rain/snow mix. As I got closer to zombie central, where it’s supposed to be warmer, the temp actually fell. For a while there, the roadway had that awesome look that you get when precipitation hits a frozen or near freezing roadway, a little white except where tires have recently traveled. Worked out fine, but it had my full and undivided attention for a while.

I finally gave up on the hopes of another ride (or two) for the season. Two years ago, I got out for a nice long ride on Christmas day. This year, Christmas day saw about a foot of snow which covered an inch of solid ice from freezing rain two days before. It was -3 °F this morning and frigid temperatures and winds are forecast for the next week or more. Very little chance of a weather reversal at this point. Even a "January thaw" is unlikely to restore the roads to rideable condition.

Took the bags off the bike and squirreled it away in the corner of the garage so I could find room to put the car in. It will sit there likely until March.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to keep my streak intact I went out right after midnight and got in about 12 quick miles. Day 286 complete. Posting this after coming back inside after shoveling my driveway clear of the snow that began falling around 2 am. Roads should be clear and safe again tomorrow in time for me to get a ride in.

In order to keep my streak intact I went out right after midnight and got in about 12 quick miles. Day 286 complete. Posting this after coming back inside after shoveling my driveway clear of the snow that began falling around 2 am. Roads should be clear and safe again tomorrow in time for me to get a ride in.
That's determination,

Good luck,

Dave

Frickin animal !!!! JSNS

Thought New Year's Day was going to end my streak! Been throwing bike on tender recently and after completing my ride on December 31 for day 287 late in the afternoon I reconnected the tender and called it a day. Monday afternoon 19 degrees was going to be about as warm as it get so out to the garage bundled up and....click.....click. Turns over kind of slow but no fire. Shit! This is not good. I've been hooking up my tender through my Powerlet connector near the passenger footrest on the left side and have never had any issues but I've noticed lately the light never goes full green so I've been expecting I may soon need a battery. Pull the battery cover panel off and hook up tender with alligator clips and let it on for about an hour hoping she'll start next try. Success! I put day 288 in the books and go online and get a replacement battery on order. I let the panel off for now and reconnect the tender for later today so it can try and charge. For shits and giggles I throw a multi-meter to the powerlet port and find no power.I have to check the fuse later when it gets a little warmer but my battery issue could be as simple as it was never getting any voltage through what I expect to find is a blown fuse to charge. Battery was installed December of 2013 so I'm going to put the new one in anyhow. Streak is still intact for now, hoping for that "perfect year".

Keep the streak alive Chuck! These bikes can run on a car battery, based on how we rigged Madmike2 when his stator failed in Death Valley.

I have tucked the bike away in a corner of the garage so both cars fit, and I'm fondling the new Sena in anticipation of warmer days.

Just in case I've already arranged with a coworker to use his FJR or worst case BMW K1200LT if something should make it so my bike is out of commission. I've also got a neighbor with an older Riva 50 scooter I've been offered.Hoping to avoid the scooter......When it's this damn cold heated gear is a must!

Checked the tire pressures and dusted it off. I went to spray it off with a spray bottle but the water froze. Maybe I can take it to work on Saturday as it is supposed to be a high of 43 and a low of 32.

What in sam hill is going on? It has not gotten up to 70F in over a week. According to fuzzy science we are in a critical state of global warming!!! I need to get the
bike.gif
out for a ride before it goes into hibernation.
rolleyes.gif

Rode it to work today in 26-30F temps. It's Jan 3 and I haven't gotten a single BMR point yet. Today's Word of the Day is .... "cold".

Should be able to find a sign for cold beer somewhere in this town during my lunch break.

<edited after lunch break> I now have 2.666 points, and it's almost 40F out there.

39475956731_835d2ac37c_o.jpg

Rode it to work today in 26-30F temps. It's Jan 3 and I haven't gotten a single BMR point yet. Today's Word of the Day is .... "cold".
Should be able to find a sign for cold beer somewhere in this town during my lunch break.
I got the Word of the Day on New Year's Day ('happy') in 72° weather, less than a mile from my house. Doesn't get easier.

I've got a ride planned for this upcoming weekend - 875 miles, 60+ points. If the weather holds, it should be fun.