What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can guess what this is sticking out from under my mirror, you will know what I hit this afternoon on the beginning of our ride.

I was going to guess deer, but that doesn't look like deer hair.

Hope you are not hurt.

It was a stupid buzzard. No damage at all. Two flew up in front of me and I slowed but didn't stop because I was missing them. Then I saw the third that crossed at the last second and it bounced off the mirror and windshield. I can't decide whether the buzzard hairs are cool or creepy. I washed it good because it stank, but those hairs won't come out. I'm gonna have to take tweezers to it.

Next time you have the right side inner panels off just loosen the mirror and you should be able to get the rest of the vulture off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to replacing the 3 out of 4 burned out lights in my instrument dash today.
8_2_13a.jpg

Hope I can get it all back together.
dribble.gif
You know Griff,

You can just let some dirty parts stay dirty. No need to take off the front just to wash and wax the underside of your speedometer.

Really.

Just for kicks Goatboy (out of Chino) and I checked to see if my 2008 has the "Blue Dot" revised CCT...sadly it DOES NOT.

Looks like I'll be changing mine out at about 30,000 miles just to be safe......only 8,500 on her now.

Guess that answers my question if ALL 2008 and up FJR's have the revised CCT, may want to check if you have one on your Gen II.

BTW...build date on my 2008 is 12/07

Just for kicks Goatboy (out of Chino) and I checked to see if my 2008 has the "Blue Dot" revised CCT...sadly it DOES NOT.
Looks like I'll be changing mine out at about 30,000 miles just to be safe......only 8,500 on her now.

Guess that answers my question if ALL 2008 and up FJR's have the revised CCT, may want to check if you have one on your Gen II.

BTW...build date on my 2008 is 12/07
I remember reading somewhere there is a 3rd one out now. Green dot?

Anyway, I'll find out in the morning if mine has any dots. When I replace it with a manual tensioner. I don't trust a tensioner with out an anti retract locking pawl.

My 08 has just under 50k miles now and I hear just a tiny bit of (i think) chain noise at times. It is very slight, in the auto world we would call it normal.

Update: No dot on oem CCT. APE manual CCT installed, noise gone.

If you can guess what this is sticking out from under my mirror, you will know what I hit this afternoon on the beginning of our ride.
P8030247_edited-1.jpg
For those who didn't catch the post on the bottom of the last page, it was a buzzard. No damage, just stinky vulture slime all over the front and those weird hairs that I can't get out from under the mirror.

...And you didn't even experience the really bumpy roads of the northeast. Maine and New Brunswick make NH and VT look smooth...
True dat!!! At one point in New Brunswick my pillion was ready to get off and walk the 80 miles back to our room. That trip pounded the guts out of my Wilbers shock with a bad Penske rebuild.
Just go up and ride around in Quebec province for a few days and the New England and NY roads will seem smooth enough.
smile.png
Funny, I thought Quebec/Vermont/New Hampshire roads were fantastic. Why do you think I bought a trail bike with 10" of suspension travel on both ends, to keep my FJR from being beat to death on the roads in this town!

Pulled all of the parts off the 04 that I can use on the 13.

My god I didn't realize how much electrical wiring I added to the 04 over the years.

Anyway, all done except for the 2 parts I cannot seem to find. Parts request going up in a few minutes.

New bike to me as of two weeks ago so today I changed the oil, final drive oil, adjusted the suspension, and put in a new battery. I'm coming from a ZX-6R so the susupension is WAY different, I'm hoping tightening everything up will make a huge difference and change the pogo-stick feel from the front end.

Pretty unusual to need to rebalance a wheel. Who did the original balance on that tire?

On the same (or at least closely related) subject , we were swapping out bbdig's rear tire yesterday and replacing his well worn 10k mile cross country PR3 with another one of the same. As you may be aware, Michelin refuses to mark their tires with balance marks. There is a barcode stamp on the bead of the tire, but conventional wisdom is that this is not indicative of anything related to balance. For lack of any other markings I opted to mount the tire with the barcode opposite to the valve stem, which I know to be the heavy spot on his wheel due to the Doran TPMS sensor that is screwed to the inside of the valve stem there.

With the tire in this orientation the valve stem was (still) the heavy spot but was going to require a shit ton of weights to balance. We decided to break the bead, rotate the tire on the wheel by 180 degrees and reinflate, then to find that the valve stem was now the lightest spot. So that told me that the tire misbalance was considerably greater than the wheel misbalnce (evem with the TPMS) and the barcode on the tire (at least in this case) was definitely the lightest spot of the tire. It still took 6 - 7 gram stick on wheel weights (42 oz.) to reach equilibrium and that was with the tire lightest spot completely cancelling the wheels misbalance.

That is one of (but not the) worst tire misbalances I've ever experienced. Time will tell how the tire wears and behaves.

New rear BT-023, got about 4,500 miles out of the last rear.

Doesn't matter which Sport/touring tire I put on the rear of any bike I owned I never get more than about 4,500 miles out of them.

So, I look for the best price on a name brand tire, this BT-023 ran me $113.00 at Temecula Motorsports, not a bad price.

If I run a Sport tire I get about 2,500-3,500 miles.

Put Lucille up on block, pulled the front wheel and took it down to the local Independent shop to have a new PR2 mounted.

Cleaned everything, checked front brake pads, looking forward to reinstall this afternoon.

Oh, and I spent an hour looking for a tool for the front axle. Nobody in town (including the used parts shop, two auto parts stores) had a 1/2" drive 19mm hex.

Finally found what I needed at the local hardware store: a threaded rod coupler in 12mm ID. Slips nicely into my 19mm socket and the front axle.

$1.99 works for me!