What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much FJR stuff lately. 3 mile dirt mud pit to Hondarosa makes motorbike travel treacherous, even with knobbies on DL650, Wabs.

But did fire KrZy8 up, safely enclosed in trailer, just to circulate oil and water and move parts around.

Going to hook up trailer to 4wd 84 Ford F250, old Blue, to get onto pavement then test hit KrZy8 after major maintenance.

Rode it to work this morning. A nice 23 degree commute.
cold.gif

But the consolation prize for such cold weather around here is that it's virtually always blue skies and sunny when it's that cold. The normal winter day involves 38 degrees and rain.
unsure.png

Rode it to work for the last time.
icon_exclaim.gif

I actually have one more work day after today before I retire, but tomorrow I'll need to drive the truck to bring my Rollaway toolbox home along with almost 30 years of accumulated crap I have here at work.

I was actually thinking that I could take the rollway home on the bike if I absolutely had to. I would probably have needed to start taking tools home last week to reduce the weight of the bottom and top box. Then I'd have to make a rack to support one of the 2 boxes at a time on the rear seat/rear rack. (Insert picture from some Asian country of a guy on a scooter with his whole family and some farm animals
icon_lol.gif
). Or maybe I could do something like this:

45056.jpg

On second thought, I'll just bring in the truck.
icon_e_biggrin.gif

I haven't run the numbers, but I've been commuting on this FJR almost daily since I bought it new at the end of 2007. There's 137,000 miles on the odo this week and a normal work week of 4 days adds at least 200 miles per week. Deducting for vacations and rare truck days, it's probably about 9000 miles per year.

Commute time to work is still around 30 minutes, but that has required leaving earlier and earlier as the years have gone by (I start at 5am now but used to start at 7am). You would not believe how much traffic is on the roads at 4:30am around here because people are trying to beat traffic (not unusual for traffic to come to a complete stop at that time on the freeway!). Going home is really ugly with commute time approaching 1 hour and sometimes more. The FJR does save a lot of time with it's small size (relative to a car) and brutal acceleration allowing for passing slow pokes, slicing gaps in traffic and free entry into car pool lanes.

Oh, look at the time. I'm supposed to be working and better get back to it.
icon_razz.gif

Congratulations on retirement! Will be looking for juicy Ride Reports with your name on 'em.

True that a big advantage of commuting on the FJR is free use of HOV lanes.

Christmas Day, bright and clear here. Solo ride for an hour or so late afternoon gave me a chance to use Pinlock for the first time. Saw one cruiser while out before dusk, in the high twenties on the coast.

I haven't run the numbers, but I've been commuting on this FJR almost daily since I bought it new at the end of 2007. There's 137,000 miles on the odo this week and a normal work week of 4 days adds at least 200 miles per week. Deducting for vacations and rare truck days, it's probably about 9000 miles per year.
I've noticed my FJR mileage has dropped since I retired and no longer put on 100 miles every day.. Congrats!

Nothing, I can't even sit on it without being in misery. Walked by it to dump out a shop vac. But I did replace the crappy fog lights on my F150 with LEDs. Hoe Lee Crap, what a huge difference.

Took a relatively short ride this morning to City Island in Harrisburg to watch the Penguin Plunge benefitting the local humane society and also to catch up with my pal Blaine Paulus. Blaine's continuous riding streak makes mine look like nothing by comparison. Day 653 for me, day 6888 or something like that for him. Interesting to compare notes with the guy who prompted my attempt. Had a good time catching up with some old friends. Happy New Year to all.

Left work early today, temps in the 40's. After walking the dogs and feeding the birds I decided to take the bikes out for a run. XR650 was first on the list. Added some air to the tires and took off. Repeated the same procedure with the FJR. I must say they are two different beast.

It was fun though,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Performed 2nd valve check. All exhaust valves were well on the loosest 50% (all around 0.009) and did not move from the first check, so I left the exhaust cam alone. On the intake side, 5 out of 8 were too tight and the other 3 were right at the tight limit. So I re-shimmed the entire intake cam to about 20-30% of the loose spec. One valve got shimmed to the loose spec (a "tight-ish" 0.009") because I didn't have a shim between 1.75 and 1.80 mm, and I didn't want to sand a 1.80 (Not real confident in doing that right). I was surprised by this, thinking the exhaust would have tightened up more since it is the hottest part of the motor. I may be good for the rest of the bike's life.

Flushed coolant, cleaned air filter, new spark plugs, and synched the Throttle Bodies. Regarding this, the old spark plugs (OEM NGK's), for having 26K on them, were amazingly clean and hardly worn. The gap may have opened 0.005" and the center electrode barely rounded on the edges. Regarding the T/B sync, on my bike, #1 is the master. I got them all in sync, but now #4 is fully closed. If I ever have to sync them again, I may need some guidance on that.

All of this took me three separate days, working a few hours each day. I took my time and didn't get flustered when challenges presented themselves. I actually kind of enjoyed it this time.

Last edited by a moderator: