What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left her in the garage and drove the truck, oh the shame. :looking:
Let a little rain stop you this morning? ;) Okay, a lot of rain! Ran into NWJeff this morning and he still had some wet spots from his commute this morning. I managed to stay dry thanks to my Roadcrafter that I carefully folded near my waist to avoid water puddling and subsequent wet crotch. :angry2:

Rinsed off the (amazingly small!) amount of crud from my ride home late last night in the torrential rain and fog :blink:

It was raining so hard most of the bike stayed clean. The only muddy bit was the lower tupperware aft of the front wheel, and that dirt came from my driveway.

I'm taking the SUV to work today... sigh.

Installed Fred's $3 remedy to flying Givi top cases, and added a Rapid Transit Recon 19 magnetic tankbag. The tankbag appears to have been made for the FJR.

Left her in the garage and drove the truck, oh the shame. :looking:
Let a little rain stop you this morning? ;) Okay, a lot of rain! Ran into NWJeff this morning and he still had some wet spots from his commute this morning. I managed to stay dry thanks to my Roadcrafter that I carefully folded near my waist to avoid water puddling and subsequent wet crotch. :angry2:
I was going to ride but need to pick some things up after work too bulky for the bike. Man it was a wet one for sure though!......... OK, OK the amount of water coming down did help sway my decision though. Even my little Cairn terrier who normally loves the rain didn't want to go outside!...LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed Fred's $3 remedy to flying Givi top cases, and added a Rapid Transit Recon 19 magnetic tankbag. The tankbag appears to have been made for the FJR.
Whoa! Nice tip share! That tankbag looks like the bomb diggety!

I've always wondered why they don't make tank-bags waterproof / water resistant to begin with? Who wants to fool around with putting those stupid shower cap type covers over a tank bag when it (inevitably) rains.

Glad the trunk hitch pin thing helped. ;)

What did you do to your FJR today?

There are probably a lot of things folks do to their FJRs that may not warrant a whole new topic. This thread is a place to post such things.

I'm kind of surprised there isn't already a thread like this here already, so mods feel free to delete this if I missed it somehow.
Sold It, great bike just not the right fit for me. So we will see what yamaha is up to for 2013.

Enjoy your FJR'S.

Plugged mine into the battery tender since I haven't ridden it in over a week. Sad goddammed state of affairs around here when I can't even ride my murdercycle.

However, I did channel my dad a little bit and fix some furniture and confuse a guy at Home Depot. He'd have been proud!

It was yesterday, but...

Replaced shock with new Penske 8983

Cleaned/lubed all rear suspension pivot elements

New fork seals

Replaced the 9 year old tankslapper tank protector with new film

On the schedule for today...

Replace front brake pads that were soaked in fork oil due to leaking fork seal

Put some gas in it

Ride the damn thing

Put yet another rear tire on it. Tire changer is turning out to be a very nice investment! Had a bit of life left in the PR2 but I'm heading to TX this weekend.

Chuck35 - I am located in Augusta, home of the Masters :) I bought the bike in Charleston, really enjoyed the ride home and like the bike even more after riding it to work today. First up will be a full service, only has 4900 miles, and get an owners manual.

Chuck

Well at the risk of being called crazy I flushed my brake and clutch today. They were done 5000 miles ago on a service plan at the dealer.

First the brake fluid was honey to a bit darker in color.

The clutch same color. When I took the lid off the clutch it was gray sludge city again. On the service I was called out to see it. It was not as bad, but the reservoir took a lot of q-tips and clean rags to become spotless. Even into the two valve holes was bad.

I would like to know what is wearing, or creates this sludge?

On the brakes, does flushing them as I did get to the ABS unit? I guess I should have found some gravel and made the ABS kick in a few times before the change? I do remember a jumper to massage it, and will get that made.

Anyway $4.00 for fluid, everything was run clean on each bleeder, I use a piece of tubing into a bottle on the 10 MM, and a mighty vac connector and hose for the 8 MM, but no might vac, just pump and hold, close the bleeder, I drop a strait edge razor blade into the two fronts to stop the gushers of brake fluid when pumping the front brake and clutch levers.

I use a baster to suck the fluid out of all three reservoirs, clean them well and fill with fresh fluid to start the flush.

Took me about 1.5 to 2.0 hours but was going slow as I wanted to make sure I introduced no air, and it was my first time doing it.

Anyway a picture(or two)is worth a thousand words............

clutch.jpg

note that you can see the casting in this one.....

break.jpg

And then I ran a quick 100 miles off to see if it all works, and it does :D