What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Receive my Sargent this morning, harder and larger than the stock seat that is way too soft. Time to ride. :)

Sargent.jpg

Replaced all the brake pads today since the front pads were way down and we will be heading to NAFO & California in the near future so there will not be much shop time for a while (hopefully). It was kind of pricey for parts since it takes a total of 10 pads to replace all the brakes. Two sets of 2 pads each for each front caliper for a total of 8 front pads and then one set of pads on the back. Small wonder why the bike stops so well.

have an 04 non ABS and I went & weighed it today on a local scale used for weighing moving vans, etc.

Book says the thing will weigh 606 completely wet, I assumed that was with hard bags however I guess bags

are extra. Full of gas without bags it was 620 which suprised me. Could the scale be off on low readings

since it is designed to read much greater weights ???
I've never seen the 606 lb figure - where did you get that from? Wet weight of the non-abs Gen I FJR is in the 620-630 lb range from most figures I have seen. Add 15 lbs for ABS.

Page 8-1 of Yomammaha Owners Manual FJR LIT-11626-17-27 and 5JW-28199-11. FJR1300S© FJR1300AS©

"Weight: with oil & fuel: FJR1300 275.0Kg(606 lb) (U49)

" 276.0 kg(609) (Cal)

FJR1300A 282.0 622lb U49

" 283.0 624lb Cal

Just another dim wit from New Mexico here.

Ahhhh...... that is your problem! You are believing what Mother Ship Yammie tells you! Silly boy. As you have found out, they are fibbers!

I used to be able to find 'actual' wet weight measurements done by magazines with the help of Google, but it seems Gen I FJRs are getting long in the tooth. I can't find those anymore. :(

Lists specific model weight, 2005 537lbs dry.

2005 Specs

Okay back on topic here...........

Took the front cowl assy off for the third time in 6 months. Got damn LED's and there need to be polarity correct! Plus I neglected to think ahead regarding my running lights and related wiring, relays, and switch.

Again, damned LED running lights and their Pulse width Modulator.. :dribble:

But.. On the plus side. I can tear the damned thing down in like 10 minutes now..

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I walked outside and tripped over a box on the porch marked fragile. It almost put me down. It was my FZ1 mirrors from china.

I have waited almost 3 weeks for these.

They are carbon fiber finish, the right one is a bit limp. I pried the glass off and put a washer under the spring to tension the pivot ball. It needs 1 more :(

In 7 mins 5 secs I'll get a black pair from a US seller.

Chuck, chuck,Chuck!! :no: You don't read much do ya??

fleabay mirrors are like beemerdons........ Avoid at all costs!

Picked up brand new 2011 from Snow City Cycle on May 5th:

In the Past 2 weekends I have installed (in no particular order):

• Lo-Jack
  • Gen-Mar risers
  • 2 Ram handlebar mounts
  • Technount for GPS
  • Gramin XM antenna
  • Garauld's personal refresment system
  • Eastern Beaver PC-8
  • Yamaha touring windscreen
  • Throttlemiester
  • 1 single & 1 double Powerlet
  • Fenda-extenda
The significant other is pissed but after 20 years of marriage i've learned that it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Especially since I blamed most of you guys and this forum for my recent "madness".... :crazy:

Wonder what she'll do when the Corbin seat and Smuggler show up.... :scare:

Chuck, chuck,Chuck!! :no: You don't read much do ya??

fleabay mirrors are like beemerdons........ Avoid at all costs!

well it seemed he reviews were 50/50...and that proved correct, I got 1 good one lol

the seller is sending a replacement, and I don't have to ship back the old one.

I think I'll take another whack at fixing it today...

Actually yesterday ...

Subjected my FJR to being assessed on a ride by a police BikeSafe examiner.

It didn't do too badly, 10 'A's and 3 'B's.
rolleyes.gif

A very competent, confident ride. [FJR] is obviously very comfortable in all road/traffic conditions. Dealt with other motorists/cyclists in a safe, courteous manner. A high standard was shown throughout the ride.
Naturally I went along for the ride. But, had I been in charge, I suspect the comments would be very different, something like

• Ignored all traffic signs.
  • Always travelled at twice the posted speed limit. At least.
  • Overtook in the most inappropriate places.
  • Showed contempt for all other road users.
  • Made uncalled for comments about Hardly Dangerous bikes.
  • And their riders.

I have to say it did all seem a little slow.
unsure.gif

Whatever you do, don't tell her how much that Smuggler cost.

That wasn't the worst of it.

I paid an extra $362 in duties and shipping just because I'm on the "wrong" side of the 49th parallel.

I should get my head checked for pulling the trigger anyways.
You need to do like the rest of the guys over that way.. Send it here an drive over an get it.

Today I had the best of both worlds. My 33 year old son had the itch to ride after about a year of no bike himself and jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. So what's a dad to do ?

We took off with him on my 2004 FJR and I on the Tenny. Many twisties in southeast Indiana and we switched at the halfway point. This would be the first time for him on the Tenny. He is an skilled FZ1 rider and had the pegs on his past bike worn nearly off.

He liked the Tenny as he could stand up on it . We had a great day bonding and I got to see both my bikes in action.

This was a good day !!

Scooper

I spent half of the day today spooning on tires. Two new PR3s on the bike and ready for SFO, then two more new PR3s on my spare wheels so I can have fresh rubber for NAFO. Of course I had to scuff the first pair in, and that used up the rest of the day. :)

I spent half of the day today spooning so I can have fresh rubber for NAFO. :)

Spooning with whom Greg?? An why ya need rubbers for NAFO??

Is there something I should know aboot?
Well, actually, my wife did help with the spooning. The front tires went right on almost by hand, but the rear ones needed some leverage.

And I will use up a set of tires going to NAFO and back, but won't need the other kind of rubber, (unless Dolly is there).