What is your favorite folding knife?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
Friends

For the longest time I carried a pocket knife . . . starting as a kid when someone gave me a little two blade wonder. Not to digress, but it seemed like being a boy and having a pocket knife were two ideas that just went together. Over the years, I've had a variety of swiss army knives, a couple of Bucks, a lovely Gerber . . . and now nothing.

What's gotten me started on this topic is two things . . . the arrival of the most excellent A.G. Russell catalog, and thinking about a trip to Alaska next year. Just seemed like having a good general purpose folder in the tank bag would make sense.

So I've started poking around the world of knives. Holy smokes batman. I had no idea. Too many choices. I'm lost. I need help. I have no specific use in mind. I'm not looking to fend off meth-crazed criminals, skin bus-sized mosquitoes, or field dress a moose. I just want a knife. You know, something I can use to whittle a big stick into a small stick, poke my hand with accidentally, cut a piece of string if I should happen upon one, halve a snickers bar . . . not too Rambo, nothing small and girly, you know . . . a knife.

You'll almost never find me without my SOG Flash II :assassin:

That spring loaded opener is the most addicting thing ever but no matter what you get be sure it has a partially serrated edge, nothing cuts the uncutable stuff better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry this most days, unless I am going somewhere special and I have to leave the rucksack behind.

GiantSwissArmyKnife.jpg

You can butcher a bull moose on down to pick splinters with this little gem:

Gerber AR 3.0

Light weight and unassuming, you never know its around 'til you need it.

Have a safe trip.

I've always been a fan of Gerber knives. I've used them for exclusively for the last 5 years. Top quality, solid, strong, reliable, and the company backs them like no other I've seen.

If you're looking for a pocket knife, take a look at Kershaw. I have their Chive - 1600 Link I don't consider it "girly", but it is small. It locks in both the open (a must) and closed positions. The closed lock is a nice feature because the knife is designed for easy one-hand opening, and you wouldn't want it springing open in your pocket.

At least look at them.

Benchmade. Best knives made. I've carried a 705 practically every day for almost 10 years. I send it to Benchmade (in Oregon City) every 2 years or so to have it serviced and sharpened free-of-charge.

Swiss Army Knife-Deluxe Tinker Model for MANY years Always handy & I've fixed LOTS of stuff with them............Been called MacGyver more than once after using it. Serves lots of purposes in one tool on the FJR with limited space. Not as big & Heavy as some of the more complex Swiss Army knives. Good luck good thread topic.

Benchmade. Best knives made. I've carried a 705 practically every day for almost 10 years. I send it to Benchmade (in Oregon City) every 2 years or so to have it serviced and sharpened free-of-charge.
I agree. Benchmade makes really good knives I carry a 940 Osborne. The ambidexterous locking mechanism is great for lefties. Most mechaisms open easily with either and but are made to only unlock with the right hand. Also, the S30V blade steel is supposed to be among the best.

My kids have the Kershaw Ken Onion Chive and those are nice small folders as well.

I have a bug up my butt about buying foriegn made knives, so all of the above are made in the US. Quite a few big names are outsourcing manufacturing to you know where.

I used to be a Benchmade fanatic, until I happened across a few of the Ken Onion designed Kershaw models. Now I carry those all the time. CRKT makes some really fine stuff too. Have fun shopping!

Spyderco and Gerber are both good choices.

I've carried a Spyderco locking folder for well over 20 years. They will clean, sharpen and service it for life. All I have to do is mail it to them. I've carried a Gerber "Recoil" multitool for about 3 years now and it's been great. My brother's a Gerber fan from way back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I've been checking this thread all day. Great recommendations. Still lots of options here, but the field is nicely narrowed. I'll let you know what I get.

Great knives. Here is what I carry;

Buck 425 Mini Buck Lockback Pocket Knife

The Mini Buck is a 2 7/8" closed, lockback pocket knife with black skeletonized thermoplastic handles and a stainless steel, drop point blade. Designed to be super light yet durable. It weighs less than an ounce and has proven to be a tough, reliable, pocket tool. Buck has discontinued production of the Mini Buck but it continues to be a popular knife with users and collectors are grabbing them up. This one has been lightly used and carried but will grade in excellent condition. The tang is stamped "Buck 425 ] U.S.A." This is a year 2000 made Buck knife. Our price is only $14.95.

Nice cheap pocketknife.