What is your favorite folding knife?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a question....by law (riding around-not entering a plane):....How long can a folding blade be?

....How long can a rigid blade be?

Can someone point me to a link?
Knife laws vary by state and can get a little confusing. For example, here in MA it's illegal for me to carry a double edge or auto opener over 1 1/4" yet it's perfectly legal to carry a razor sharp 4' katana sword :blink: .

If I recall, your state prohibits the carrying of auto openers, double edges (dirk, dagger) or anything over 3".
Thanks Kenpo...I guess my 5" rigid blade that my mom gave me back in '80 before a long bike trip (she wanted me to have some sort of protection) is no good anymore.

I'm looking for something to protect myself from big animals or others this summer as I hope to camp(and or motel) in Montana & Wyoming before or after NAFO...

Thanks KIEFFER..

Uh.... this would pbly work ok...

https://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/novaPump.tpl

18"barrel....

or just bring your old knife...<G>

Have fun!

Happy New Year...

Mary

leekplainedge.jpg

I went to a local knife shop yesterday and handled most of the implements discussed here. Overwhelming and overwhelmingly cool. The big "duh" for me was just like there is no single do everything motorcycle, there is no single do everything knife. Frankly some of the blades were just downright intimidating. So I started out with the acclaimed Leek in a combi blade with a nifty supercalifragalistic nitride somethingeranother finish. May be useless but it sure is keen looking. Still looking for something more robust for the tank bag, or maybe just getting ready to start collecting yet another thing, but my pockets are now happy with something new to carry around.

Thanks for all your help. And now we have a good knife thread for the collective knowledge-base. Happy shopping for those who find this thread sometime later.

Cheers

I had a hard time believing it myself, and legally* to boot!

*Police, Fire and EMS can carry automatic-opening* knives. Sweet!

*We don't call 'em switchblades. Or lane-splitting....

I've carried a pocket knife since I was six years old (a way long time ago). Have come to prefer a large trailing or drop point folder for everyday use. But, it has to be thin and light enough to carry in suit pants. Never came to terms with serrations.

Currently I carry an Al Mar Shrike 95% of the time:

https://www.knifeworks.com/browseproducts/A...dle--Plain.HTML

It looks weird but balances nicely and fits even my not extra-large hands well. Any bigger and it would be too large for some pockets but with the flat G10 scales weight is not a problem. Excellent edge hold. Relatively easy to touch up.

Bill

Friends
For the longest time I carried a pocket knife . . . starting as a kid when someone gave me a little two blade wonder. Not to digress, but it seemed like being a boy and having a pocket knife were two ideas that just went together. Over the years, I've had a variety of swiss army knives, a couple of Bucks, a lovely Gerber . . . and now nothing.

What's gotten me started on this topic is two things . . . the arrival of the most excellent A.G. Russell catalog, and thinking about a trip to Alaska next year. Just seemed like having a good general purpose folder in the tank bag would make sense.

So I've started poking around the world of knives. Holy smokes batman. I had no idea. Too many choices. I'm lost. I need help. I have no specific use in mind. I'm not looking to fend off meth-crazed criminals, skin bus-sized mosquitoes, or field dress a moose. I just want a knife. You know, something I can use to whittle a big stick into a small stick, poke my hand with accidentally, cut a piece of string if I should happen upon one, halve a snickers bar . . . not too Rambo, nothing small and girly, you know . . . a knife.
I carry a alaska2 knife set while hunting. an a 35 year old timer at work ,it's a little 3 blade about 2&3/4 long and an old puma when riden.

Nice section on knives and a whole lot of choices out there and brnds I never heard of.

I would not carry one that had a stainless steel blade. Unless you buy a sharpener made for stain less steel blade.

If I still had mine I would carry the one my Dad made for me when I started to hunt 45 years ago, it was a long knife

In my tank bag a leatherman and a buck knife 102

https://www.coldsteel.com/folding-knives-voyager-series.html 4" blade 1/2 serration. Seems to hold an edge pretty well, I like the tanto point, they're good for not breaking. I had a full serration knife a long time ago and decided I didn't like it, but the 1/2 I think works well, esp w/ things like thick rope. I prefer stainless blades, as I'm pretty abusive to them, I gunk them up and don't clean them for days...

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, if it's just a knife, then any of the name brands suffice if I like their features, and that gets subjective.

For traveling/camping trips, where the knife sometimes needs to be something else, then I like the Wave by Leatherman. It has a nice balance of features without being too complicated or gimmicky.

I've been carrying a Kershaw Grant County for twenty plus years.

I've lost it a couple times and gotten other knives as replacements, but always return to it when found.

It's not as interesting as many of the recommended knives, here, but was a gift from "the girl I let get away" so has sentimental, as well as, functional value. :wub:

https://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw_Gra...ain_p/k3100.htm

spyderco endura 4 partially-serrated edge; has holes to change the pocket clip to any position;

https://www.knifesite.com/Spyderco-Endura-C...g-p/c10psbk.htm

columbia river knife and tool (CRKT) m16-sfa partially serrated edge; same thing as spyderco, holes to orient pocket clip how you want; also has a "catch" on it so that when it's oriented in the blade up position in your pocket, and you draw it out, you slide it against the edge of your pocket, and it deploys the blade when it catches. of course, they tell you not to carry blade up, but those are the lawyers talking.

https://www.swordarmory.com/crkt/CRKT_M16.html

and for your SHTF knife where all else fails, dude has you in a choke, or BG is trying to get your gun and you have one hand on gun keeping it in holster, other hand goes for this---requires minimal fine motor skills, which you won't have when you're fighting for your life-titanium hybrid:

https://hideawayknife.com//model.php

hth

For $32.00, I likes dis one.
Hard to believe they can sell an AUS 8 blade for $31. Is it a spring loaded opener too?
i would be leery of any spring-loaded knife for under $75. i've a few friends who bought some cheaper spring-loaded knives for ~$30, and within a few months they didn't work well. i'd rather have a well-made knife that you know you can open with one hand mechanically in 3 seconds, than a cheap "semi-automatic" that fails you when you need it most.

not meant as a flame, just to be careful out there!

hth.