What to add to a bone stock FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianfjrowner

Reaction score
Hi there:

I'm the brand new owner of a 07 FJR that has barely any miles on it. I'm a tall guy 6'-3 1/2". What should be the first things I should do with this bike. Seat, windshield, lowering pegs? I'll be riding it this coming Wednesday. :)

Those are all good farkles but get it and ride it a bit first. Then you will know where to start.

Those are all good farkles but get it and ride it a bit first. Then you will know where to start.
I agree with Ray. Ride it for a thousand miles or so...and as you adjust to the bike...you will find out what you want on it and what you don't.

...or you can just throw money at it because everybody else has it on their bike. Your choice.

Make it your own bike.

Frame sliders are always first on in my book.

If the throttle feels a little snatchy then a G2 tube then a power commander III. I would separate those a bit so as not to change two things at once and you don't know the impact that each had. Mine had both on it when I bought it. Some day I will ride a raw 06 and see what the difference is.

Joe

Agree with frame sliders 100%

Other things can wait until you get a feel for the bike.

Ray's got the right idea, ride the bike first and give it some time. Depending on what you're coming from, the FJR could be a much different experience and the ol' body will need time to adjust.

Congrats on the purchase...you won't be disappointed!

--G

Hi there:

What should be the first things I should do with this bike. :)
Check to see that Recall "17-Oct-2007, Bulletin M2007-016" described in the Bin Of Facts had been completed. Any dealer will be able to look up your VIN number for that bit of history.

Put frame sliders on your new toy. Installing them before the inevitable "drop" is a good thing, and you'll be glad you acted on the right side of that (those) event(s). ;)

As mentioned above, everything else is matter of gaining some of your own personal experience on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
bar ends, bar risers, fuzeblock, grip puppies, accessory plug, sliders, Clearwater lights.....thats about it

1. A leather saddle that agrees with your ass.

2. BMW grips, which just feel good in your hands.

3. A GIVI rack and topcase, so you can carry all your beer stuff.

4. Upgraded suspension, so you can go faster with more confidence, ...even if you're a shitty rider.

5. Good gear, because if you're like most FJR riders, you'll pretty old and you'll need all the protection you can afford.

That's all.

Don't waste your money on a stupid loud horn that'll just get used to scold rather than for any practical purpose,

or loud pipes because you think anyone else actually wants to listen to your goddamned exhaust,

or extra lights that only annoy people and make you look like a cop,

or heated gear which is only bought by pussies,

or a GPS that'll take all the fun out of getting lost and then finding your way,

or a cruise control because you're just too busy to actually man the throttle for yourself,

or a voltmeter which you won't need because you didn't hang a bunch of other stupid electronic shit all over your bike,

or a barn-door-aftermarket windscreen because god forbid you'd never actually want to feel the wind on you,

and.....am I forgetting anything?

I'm going to take a nap and come back and finish this, okay?

Ontario, huh?

...Go Leafs!

toronto_maple_leafs_1992.jpg

biggrin.gif

After I rode my FJR for a while, I added a few things in the first month that have served me well ever since:

1. Tank slapper protective film
  2. Magnum Blaster horns - the stock horns are worthless, and a decent horn is important, in spite of what Old Michael says
  3. Bar risers - both up and back worked best for me, and I'm about your height
  4. A radiator guard
  5. A V-1 (but any quality radar detector will do the job)

Hi there:

I'm the brand new owner of a 07 FJR that has barely any miles on it. I'm a tall guy 6'-3 1/2". What should be the first things I should do with this bike. Seat, windshield, lowering pegs? I'll be riding it this coming Wednesday. :)
Since buying my 2008 FJR new, I added sliders, a different windshield, different seat, grip puppies, extended passenger foot pegs and a strap on soft bag that goes across the back seat for added carrying capacity.

Like Ray said, ride it for a while first.

For me, some of the early farkles: Corbin seat, Garmin GPS mount, heated grips, and accessory plug. I had to ride it to see that I wanted another seat. The other items, I knew I wanted.

Hi there:

I can't get very far without my coffee cup holder. An Ontarian should be able to relate.

I see you're in Ottawa, so that's good. You probably won't be seeing much of Old Michael. But just in case, get yourself a REALLY loud horn. That way, if you ever actually do run into him, when he starts in with his crabby old man tirade, you can just sound that puppy off and keep the button down till he stops. Sooner or later, he will.

Hi there:

What should be the first things I should do with this bike. :)
Check to see that Recall "17-Oct-2007, Bulletin M2007-016" described in the Bin Of Facts had been completed. Any dealer will be able to look up your VIN number for that bit of history.

Put frame sliders on your new toy. Installing them before the inevitable "drop" is a good thing, and you'll be glad you acted on the right side of that (those) event(s). ;)

As mentioned above, everything else is matter of gaining some of your own personal experience on the bike.
What frame sliders do you all recommend?

I come off a Suzuki Boulevard C90. My back didn't like that bike too much. I would most certainly do safety add-ons first followed by comfort add-ons. I wouldn't want to play with the performance side. This bike will be fast enough. I keep my racing to the winter time on the snowmobile.

oops forgot to add:

ape hangers

leather tassels

Fork mount roll accessory pouch

Silly me - this is the wrong forum. Its ROT rally this weekend in Austin. I got my motorcycle groups confused. :(

What frame sliders do you all recommend?

I come off a Suzuki Boulevard C90. My back didn't like that bike too much. I would most certainly do safety add-ons first followed by comfort add-ons. I wouldn't want to play with the performance side. This bike will be fast enough. I keep my racing to the winter time on the snowmobile.
I bought these OES sliders (the extended version) https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-12FJR1300.html

Decent price and quick, easy installation.