What touches down next..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FjrHoop

Reaction score
At first it would startle me when the pegs would touch during a corner, now I've learned to expect it and it doesn't really bother me, but I'm still a bit leery about turning in too quickly and grounding something hard mounted like the pipes or centerstand.

Once the pegs are down, how much further can you lean before other parts drag?

At first it would startle me when the pegs would touch during a corner, now I've learned to expect it and it doesn't really bother me, but I'm still a bit leery about turning in too quickly and grounding something hard mounted like the pipes or centerstand.
Once the pegs are down, how much further can you lean before other parts drag?
I have heard that the corner of the exhaust can is next. No personal experience with that. Nothing beyond peg scraping for me.

What is the name of that instrument the doc uses to scrape the gravel out of your skin?

The front out side edge of the can on the left. and the outside edge of the rear brake lever on the right. After that everything touches down in equal measure.

I'm not sure what touches down next as it has just been pegs for me (I suspect the pipe or centerstand), but, the over/under is 4 more posts before someone jumps in mentions a criticism of your riding style, the need to hang off more, or need for new suspension components. c'mon guys...don't let me down!!!!

What is the name of that instrument the doc uses to scrape the gravel out of your skin?
That's why I'm asking here, so I don't have to learn myself. I thought maybe I could gain from someone else's experience. :hehe:

Last edited by a moderator:
but, the over/under is 4 more posts before someone jumps in mentions a criticism of your riding style,
I'm resisting NEPRT at this point....to not skew it. That and I couldn't find a ton of threads where it's been asked before...it just seems like it would have been. ;)

The other way they could go is suggest they sell the FJR and buy a bike better suited to 3 post newbies.

What you need to know is "How much tire is still in contact with the road, after the pegs start to scrape?"

I had a 2000 VFR with which I had ground off the feeler (and part of the peg) on the right side. Then one day, in a right-hand corner, nothing scraping, I give it gas and lose the rear wind. I get slammed on my back and the bike slides down the track ahead of me.

Afterwards, looking at the rear tire, it is clear I leaned it further than there was tire to keep on the road. The VFR has pretty long feelers, and I think they designed it this way to let you know you're getting to the edge of the tire. So without feelers, I was leaning too far.

Granted, the FJR has lower pegs, and may have plenty of tread left when the next hard part starts dragging. I'm just pointing out that the limit to leaning may not be the parts you're dragging, but the rubber left to provide traction.

but, the over/under is 4 more posts before someone jumps in mentions a criticism of your riding style,
I'm resisting NEPRT at this point....to not skew it. That and I couldn't find a ton of threads where it's been asked before...it just seems like it would have been. ;)

The other way they could go is suggest they sell the FJR and buy a bike better suited to 3 post newbies.
For the FNG's, consider adding NEPRT to the glossary of acronyms. I couldn't find it there and I'm seriously hoping I didn't overlook it. :pardon: But I am so glad I googled it before I asked what it is...YEA ME!!! :yahoo:

Got my new replacement foot pegs yesterday. I have actually gotten pretty good and keeping my weight shifted so that I dont touch the pegs very often now-a-days, however, the right one as looking pretty rough. :rolleyes:

Left side: centerstand and the weld on the outside of the pipe

Right side: rear brake lever and exhaust weld

I'm not guessing.

Left side: kickstandRight side: exhaust pipe

I'm just guessing.
My bike's kickstand, courtesy of the original owner:

DSC02498.jpg

What you need to know is "How much tire is still in contact with the road, after the pegs start to scrape?"
I had a 2000 VFR with which I had ground off the feeler (and part of the peg) on the right side. Then one day, in a right-hand corner, nothing scraping, I give it gas and lose the rear wind. I get slammed on my back and the bike slides down the track ahead of me.

Afterwards, looking at the rear tire, it is clear I leaned it further than there was tire to keep on the road. The VFR has pretty long feelers, and I think they designed it this way to let you know you're getting to the edge of the tire. So without feelers, I was leaning too far.

Granted, the FJR has lower pegs, and may have plenty of tread left when the next hard part starts dragging. I'm just pointing out that the limit to leaning may not be the parts you're dragging, but the rubber left to provide traction.
I understand your point and it's well taken. Only ride to the edge of your tread, not beyond.

However... aren't you saying that you cranked on some throttle whilest the bike was leaned over hard to an extreme angle (ie to the point that you expected to be touching the peg feelers).

Doesn't anyone else see a bit of a problem with this?

After you touch down, get to the doctor ASAP. The more adrenaline that is pumping the less the wire brush hurts...