What was your best de-farkle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it was removing the grip puppies. I'm probably the only person on here that doesn't like them. For me they make the bike feel twice as big as it is - can't explain it.

+1 .... I used them on my 2004 FJR, and then again on my 2008....but after riding the bike for about 6 months with the puppies, I took them off to give it a fresh try...and found that unlike my '04 model, the grips were practically buzz free. So, no more puppies for me. I prefer the smaller diameter grips, seems to held the bike handle better in tight turns.
wuss :yahoo:

I don't really consider the throttle rocker to be a farkle...it's just too plain. But it came off (and hasn't been seen since) after it damn near killed me. Dump yours too. They're evil.
Cheers,

W2
I'm hooked on the lil ole small tiny Kury throttle boss...have one on each grip just inside the bar weights...love 'em..small is better IMHO

definitely don't like the bigger ones

6251-1.jpg

Tires - Haven't found a pair yet that I'd leave on the bike. :)

none have the pleasure Mr fast ass?

5. Tech-Mount stem setup. Impossible to get to work with Heli-Bars.
More data please. I ask because I just install this combo and don't see an issue,

not yet anyway. Are you talking about stem nut mount ?
With the bars being moved back you can't adjust (tighten) the bolt that adjusts the lean angle on the upright (of the Techmount). I had to remove one of the bars to adjust it, too much of a pain-in-the-ass.
Interesting. I don't have any issues with mine.

My best defarkles were:

Throttle Rocker

Crampbuster

Skyway Sliders (w/o metal core)

Yamaha Touring shield

Great thead (as already noted) -

I feel so inadequate, I haven't defarkled anything yet BUT after buying a couple of 'farkles to be' and really looking at them I decided against putting them on. The Kissan signal minder (felt a little queasy gutting the switch assembly with that spring), and large round LEDS I was going to replace my bicycle reflectors with. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
6251-1.jpg

That's the one I like best. It lives on my GS and I'd struggle to ride any distance without it. I'm amazed at how many folks mentioned this, or similar and their best de-farkle. I guess it depends on the size of your hands. A regular sized hand grip allows me to move my hand left or right, to either use or ignore the throttle boss.

And thanks to MM2 who passed along his unsused throttle boss, which used to be on my FJR. Now, Andy rides the Feej more than I do and he has man-sized hands. Like most guys, he finds the throttle boss irritating and even dangerous.

I've not defarkled anything yet myself...

The Throttlemeister is unused after the CC install, but it ain't hurtin anything, just hangin out over there...

Was just thinking about the pillion reply on page 1 of this thread so I,m not alone been pillionless for one week and one day. This is the only farkle that has been removed,love the grunt from the Holeshots. :bike:

Bar risers. Turns out I was more comfortable without 'em.

Grip Puppies.

I haven't used my old style Throttle Rocker in years. It's still stashed under the seat, though.

Radar detector mount. I preferred it stashed out of sight. Currently riding without a RD anyway having lost it during the Cape Fear rally.

Buyer's remorse farkle: I have headlight guards on there now that I'll probably take off. Although the one I had on my old Connie got a big crack that probably would have taken the headlight out, that's so rare that I'm not sure the utility justifies the ugliness.

Things I still like that others have dumped: Throttlemeister -- still like it better than the Vista Cruise I used to have; VStream shield with spacers -- much better than stock for me but I never tried any of the other aftermarket shields; highway pegs -- I really can't imagine LD runs without them.

Sargent seat. I SOOOO wanted to love it, looks great, build quality is awesome.....

hurt me and my wife like hell though....so we use the stocker for our quick rides

and the russell for anything over 75...

Ray

Sargent seat. I SOOOO wanted to love it, looks great, build quality is awesome.....hurt me and my wife like hell though....so we use the stocker for our quick rides

and the russell for anything over 75...

Ray
Wow, I love my Sargent seat! I little pricey though for not being a custom seat. I had a Rifle Sport shield for winter, but didn't protect well enough. I an using the stocker again for summer and I picked up a Cal-Sci Medium for winter use.

I just installed a set of Holeshot headers. I only rode for an hour or so afterwards. I have CF Dueal tip Blue Flames and the sound is quite a bit different from the stock header. The jury is still out on this set-up. I hate to pay for a custom PCIII map for it and decide I don't like. Anyone have a decent map for this set-up??? I had a map made for the stock header and CF Blue Flames made about 2 years ago and it works OK I guess...

That cheating bitch in the back...
Ouch! Condolences from me as well.

I de-farkled the Corbin seat since I could not get comfortable on it with my specific geometry :rolleyes: , I also went back to stock. I have about 500 miles on the stock seat I bought of a forum member now (don't really know how much he had on it), and it feels quite good now. I'll know more after then 500 mile in one day trip though.

The other de-farkle is more of a temporary one. I took of what I believe to be a Cal Sci, but only because it's too big and functions too well for the hotter months. I put on a Cee Baileys flip top that came with the bike, but it was so badly scratched that I could not keep it on the bike for long, plus I also didn't care for the turbulence and back pressure I got from it. I put on the also badly scratched stock shield for a couple of weeks, and decided to get a brand new looking stock shield from a fellow member. I am reasonably fine with that shield for the hot months. It definitely looks great on the bike, the buffeting is not anywhere as bad as I expected from reading other folks opinions on this forum, but even in full up it does not block the wind all that much. Might be because I ride with the seat in the high position.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a set of Baker Hand Wings last summer, never really found they helped that much and was planning on removing them - then a fortuitous parking lot tip over smashed one to bits and so they both came off. Can't say as I miss 'em.

Close second de-farkle would be the Bead Rider seat thingy - never did it for me.

Griff