What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
88 and sunny with a slight breeze as I look out at the ocean whitecaps rolling in here at Myrtle Beach, SC.No I don't need any adversity. Enough of that in the world and I've already had my share.

Loving the blessings before me...definitely not taking it for granted.
I want to be just like Mark when I grow up, whenever that happens.

RFH, hearing all the flooding news on tv, and thinking of you and Pants, I was hoping you both were spared. If you need something, let us know.

Wx today is lovely. Clear skies, light wind, 87/55 deg., humidity in the 30-60%.

Would be a longer ride if not for work and such.

As some of you may know there has been a little rain down in the Bayou Country. We get a lot of rain here anyway but this time things got a little crazy. We are not back to normal yet.

This house belongs to a close friend/co-worker/riding buddy. I had both of his Harleys, all of his vehicles and his family as houseguests. Thankfully the water stopped 1/4 inch from getting in. I do still have the Harleys.

My 12 year old son had no clue what impact this would have on him. He was safe and dry at home. I changed that. He knows more about suffering and misery now.

I cannot take pictures of the intimate misery that some of these folks are going through right now. Imagine your home with 4 feet of water inside it for a couple days. Now imagine this: Take everything out of your house and stack it in a pile at the road. EVERYTHING. The furniture, the appliances, the cabinets, all your possessions, the sheetrock off the walls, the carpet off the floors, EVERYTHING.

It is not pretty.

Imagine the water rising so fast that you have to abandon your vehicle. Imagine the feeling of losing a fully loaded Tahoe or a fully loaded 3/4 ton 4WD. Opening the door releases a stench that would gag a maggot. The cup holders are full of the nastiest water you can imagine.

Imagine this heartbreak:

Yesterday evening after a Very Long day working in two flooded out homes I decided to take my wife to visit her sister. Normally that means a 5 minute ride in the car. Not this time.

I am normally very proud of the home I built for my family. But this morning as I pushed the button on the Keurig and studied the way the LED under cabinet lighting brought out the highlights in the granite counter top, suddenly I was almost ashamed. I honestly felt guilty that so many are suffering while I am safe, cool and dry. As I type this and sip my coffee I am grateful for many things.

Stay safe my friends.

Even seeing your pictures, it's hard to imagine the scale of destruction that flood has caused. Sure hope the rains stop long enough for the flood waters to recede and everything to get back to normal, though I imagine a lot of lives won't be back to normal for quite some time.

Sorry to hear of all this misery, kudos to you for doing what you are doing.

... I had both of his Harleys, all of his vehicles and his family as houseguests. ...
[insensitive comment]Not totally convinced you got your priorities right, I'd have left the Hardleys.

[/insensitive comment]

And don't feel any guilt for being above the water level, it's not your fault they are not.

Also, very educational for your son, but don't let him stay upset by this experience, it could get him worried/distressed/depressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to brag a little bit. Please cut me some slack.

My son has worked like a rented mule beside me the entire time. We have been inseparable and he has learned many things both good and bad. I cannot even remember how many times someone complimented his work ethic. I also found that just his presence seemed to cheer folks up and lighten the mood.

After we had sandbagged two houses I noticed that the backs of his fingers at the joint behind the nails were raw and bloody. I could not understand what he had done. Turns out that holding sandbags open while I shoveled sand into them wore the skin to blisters and then into sores. He never said a word.

Had this happen to my sister-in-law in 2004, when we had 3 hurricanes, within 6 weeks, pass directly over us. Water was half way up the house, as she lived alongside a small creek. We saved the family heirlooms, but everything else was a loss. It was devastating to them.

They lived in a rural area, so everyone was on septic tanks, which meant all of it was in the flood waters. It can be gagging, to say the least. This also can be another reason for a total loss. You have to be careful walking in the flood waters because of this (infections).

I'm thankful you were spared, and sorry for all of your neighbors loss. The feeling of guilt is natural for caring people, just try and feel thankful that you are able to help those less fortunate than you.

All the best with the recovery,

Rob

This is not good, I have a lot of relatives in LA. I was listening to reports on the radio this morning. Some folks have lost everything and have had enough and plan on leaving the area. Have the national guard been helping at all?

Dave

I don't know which is worse, the power of water or fire. I applaud the efforts and generosity of yourself and others who are trying your best to help but it must be overwhelming to see all the uncontrollable loss that is happening. I can only imagine how helpless one must feel, it is beyond words. In these parts, we only see a small part of it, what the media shows us. Best wishes for as many positive outcomes as possible.

Unfortunately, I see very well what you mean.
We had severe flooding in Paris, and too many friends gathered in these conditions ...
Good luck for cleaning a and rebuild

My team deployed to NOLA in response to Katrina. Years later, I was running back and forth renting hotel rooms for our guys due to pandemic flooding that snuck up on us in Nashville. Besides work, I wasn't personally affected either time. This is probably the best thread I've ever read, bar none. Both for highlighting the human effects, and for highlighting your son's awesomeness.

Wow, great comments.

"You don't need to feel guilty for what you were spared from, you didn't cause this."

"One can be thankful to be safe and in the position to help others."

It's gotta be tough to see all that despair going on.

Keep on keeping on and kudos for helping out those in need!