What's the Worst Farkle you've ever bought?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I'll have to pull over in Denver and pop off my throttle rocker and VistaCruise so when I arrive at WFO, I won't get that "gay look" from everyone. Dang, I like both so much I figure I don't really need a cc. :unsure:
Don't worry Charlie, I'll be right beside ya... :ph34r:

--G
That's 3 of us.

Looks like I'm the only one that falls in the "prefers Throttlemeister to Vista Cruise AND uses Throttle Rocker" cell in this table.

Actually, I only put the Throttle Rocker on when I know I'll be spending several hours on an interstate. I thought it was potentially dangerous when riding the twisty bits. I bumped it once counter-steering into a curve and crossed the red line on my personal pucker meter. It spends most of its time under the seat.

Another thing I bought and then sold after the first test ride was bar risers, but I wouldn't want to call that a bad farkle. Sorting out your personal ergos is one of the fun things to do.

squeezer....you know what they say "one man's nightmare is another man's dream".....
+1 on that. It's making this thread fun, though. I think I'll go through and do a quick list of universally hated items.

One more observation on the vista cruise vs. throttlemeister thing: I'm a little bit surprised that someone hasn't jumped in and called all of us fruitcakes for using any kind of throttle lock. Not too many years ago, that was the Commonly Accepted Thread Progression in online discussions of this topic, wasn't it? :D

Okay, here's the score so far (eliminating those items which some liked and some disliked):

Items identified as lousy farkles that have received no support from other riders:

- cheap helmet speakers

- electric supercharger

- Fog City Universal Hyper Optics

- Nady communicators

- MotorSWATCop’s Muzzy exhaust system

- peg lowering kit

- passenger peg lowering kit

- Icon Urban tankbag

- CalSci cooling kit

- neon auxiliary lights

- Motocom AB-1M communicator

- 'Butt Buffer' Gel seat

- Radar Screamer

- stupid valve caps that show if your tire is low

- TourMaster tank bag

- vectraLIGHT license plate LED flasher

- Softline intercom

- and, though there seems to be some controversy regarding TWN's opinion, buttplugs

Items which have received no support in this thread but that have received thumbs up in other threads (that I'm aware of):

- Laminar Lip

- MagKnight protector

- Givi brake light kit

Items which seem to generate significant interest but that were quickly abandoned by the only riders who claim to have tried them:

- 4'12" pole dancers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure glad that you guys buy all this useless $hit before I do. :blink:
--G

2247302-plus1.gif

The Tankslapper clear adhesive protector. Hard to install and looked like crap. Threw away after a piece blew off.

Another vote for tankslapper. I made the side pieces on the tank work on my '04, but they never really wanted to stay. I was stupid enought to try again on the '06, and quit before I even put one piece on. If anyone needs any tankslapper pieces, I'm your guy. :lol:

don't understand why you guys have had so much trouble with the Tankslapper kit - mine is still on after 2.5 years and 41k miles? And I commute to work on mine nearly every day.
Just replaced the pieces that go on the top of the saddlebags cause they were scuffed up from my wife dragging her foot over them.
I have had good luck with the Tankslappers. Wax the area well first; Use 50/50 water and isopropyl alchohol; careful squeegee work; Use a hair dryer on the edges ( Not too hot). Keep spraying the area while you work.With the 3M pieces you mix a little baby shampoo in the water. He even includes some J&J baby shampoo with the kits now.
Glad someone's had good luck with 'em. I got a full set for my SV and ended up lighting the top piece on fire out of frustration. The two knee-pocket pieces went on just fine and stuck for a few years. Of course, now the top of my tank looks like Warchild's avatar and the knee-pockets look like a 5'12" pole dancer's arse.

Holy Crap!

I thought I was only getting up to take a leak last night... must've sleep-walked all the way to Bounce's house and filled up his Wheaties bowl by accident... :blink:

As to the topic at hand...

Tankslapper was a PITA to apply.. and as pieces have come loose I've bid them fairwell and good riddance. I know FJRMGM's have stayed on for years, but that's cause he used super glue as an initial surface whetter.

I'm in the "Vista Cruise is a plus" group...

As for worst farkle... I wasn't real fond of the way I couldn't get my Magknight bra to ever lay flat, until I cut it into 3 seperate pieces, and trimmed off the bottom of the center to keep my custom seat from rubbing the material off. Now it rocks. Throttle Rocker never made it onto this bike... I decided it sucked on my previous one. That goes for some foam grips too, that started to disintegrate after about 4 months. The beaded seat farkle lasted for a month or so, replaced by a custom seat thank you very much... No, the farkle that takes the crappy cake probably is the cheezy EMGO extended side mirrors. They wobble and vibrate like that toy of Bounces... which seems appropriate given his moniker. I've since gotten the real Yamaha mirrors from University Motors and will install them any day now.

Hey Goo why don't you say how you really feel about the imitation emgo mirrors without holding back? :lol:

No, the farkle that takes the crappy cake probably is the cheezy EMGO extended side mirrors. They wobble and vibrate like that toy of Bounces...
My cheesy EMGO mirrors, improved with bolts at the joints, have served me well, folded in and out many times during lane-sharing operations, and I don't notice any untoward vibrations.

My cheesy EMGO mirrors, improved with bolts at the joints, have served me well...
Yeah, but if you modify a farkle, it's not really the same farkle now, is it? Why did you improve them? Answer, because as sold they suck! ;)

That throttle hand rest thing. What a waste of $10. The good thing was, it only cost $10. That's the only farkle I've not used after buying. Tried it and hated it.
Oh yeah. It's been so long since I threw away that piece of crapoloa, I totally forgot (or repressed) about it.

+1
Yet, like some other devices mentioned here, I know a forum member who loves his. Just goes to show that one mans junk.....no, not that junk....... :rolleyes:
Love the thing...just added one to the left side

i've always tried to have a throttle rocker on my bike. it does get in the way in high-spirited rides, but if i know i'm going to be doing that kind of riding for a while, i'll slip it off. i think that makes up for any minor negatives, it can come on and off so easily.

it occurred to me the greatest mod may be one that you completely forget about, and with that definition, mine would be the helmet strap mod that i've done to every helmet, so that it has that metal arrow-shaped male piece that snaps into the squarish female piece. i know, not really a _motorcycle_ mod...

That throttle hand rest thing. What a waste of $10. The good thing was, it only cost $10. That's the only farkle I've not used after buying. Tried it and hated it.
Oh yeah. It's been so long since I threw away that piece of crapoloa, I totally forgot (or repressed) about it.

+1
Yet, like some other devices mentioned here, I know a forum member who loves his. Just goes to show that one mans junk.....no, not that junk....... :rolleyes:
Love the thing...just added one to the left side
Never tried the throttle rocker because it just looked like it was too big, andwould get in the way. I do have a throttle "Boss" from Kuryaken that rocks -- sorry about the bad pun -- but it is tiny and just sits on the outside of the throttle hand; just slide my palm over a 1/2 inch and the ache relaxes.

Worst farkle? Hope it isn't the Mag Knight bra I bought last week and haven't installed yet <_< Looked good on a buddy's 2005 Feejer.

Worst farkle ever might have been the cheesy, cheap bungees with unprotected metal tips I bought for another bike I had. I try not to be cheap anymore...