Wheat Belly, or,.. How to get a few decades younger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know...all this talk about wheat, is making me hungry for a PB & J on whole wheat bread
rolleyes.gif
This is a normal reaction for a wheat/grain person. Cravings. Once you are off of wheat for a week or so, cravings go away mostly. Most folks don't understand wheat has a lot of appetite stimulants in it.

Blood sugar spikes cause all kinds of maladies. What would you think is healthier, when it comes to blood sugar spikes,... a Snickers bar or two slices of whole wheat bread?

When Dr Davis made the statement "Two slices of whole wheat bread will give you a more harmful blood sugar spike that a Snickers bar," I thought that was total bul***it. So, I decided to prove him wrong. I bought a cheapo glucometer at Walmart, and then ate two slices of whole wheat bread one morning, and then a Snickers bar a week or two later just to debunk such an idiotic statement. Check these two links to see how it turned out:

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/Bloodtest22Mar2012.jpg

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/SnickersBloodSugarTest01.jpg

I report,. ... you decide.
Your testing is flawed. Snickers bars contain enough cocoa butter to slow down the metabolism of the carbs. That is why your two hour post-prandial reading is lower for the Snickers bar than it is for the two slices of wheat bread. Read any book on the metabolism of carbohydrates and Diabetes for more information.

I don't know...all this talk about wheat, is making me hungry for a PB & J on whole wheat bread
rolleyes.gif
This is a normal reaction for a wheat/grain person. Cravings. Once you are off of wheat for a week or so, cravings go away mostly. Most folks don't understand wheat has a lot of appetite stimulants in it.

Blood sugar spikes cause all kinds of maladies. What would you think is healthier, when it comes to blood sugar spikes,... a Snickers bar or two slices of whole wheat bread?

When Dr Davis made the statement "Two slices of whole wheat bread will give you a more harmful blood sugar spike that a Snickers bar," I thought that was total bul***it. So, I decided to prove him wrong. I bought a cheapo glucometer at Walmart, and then ate two slices of whole wheat bread one morning, and then a Snickers bar a week or two later just to debunk such an idiotic statement. Check these two links to see how it turned out:

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/Bloodtest22Mar2012.jpg

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/SnickersBloodSugarTest01.jpg

I report,. ... you decide.
Your testing is flawed. Snickers bars contain enough cocoa butter to slow down the metabolism of the carbs. That is why your two hour post-prandial reading is lower for the Snickers bar than it is for the two slices of wheat bread. Read any book on the metabolism of carbohydrates and Diabetes for more information.
The testing is not flawed. All the Doc said was that a Snickers bar would cause a less harmful blood sugar spike than two slices of whole wheat bread. I didn't believe that was possible. I, like everyone else, had been brainwashed my whole life to believe in the malarky about "healthy whole grains." The Doc was, and still is right. Eat two slices of whole wheat bread and your blood sugar will spike more than that caused by a Snickers bar.

Your speculation is flawed. If what you said was correct, the Snickers bar peak would have occured later than that of the bread. It did not. It occurred sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I will agree that there are some people who have a real (or imagined) sensitivity to wheat (and other foods), I believe that the suggestion that wheat is a poison and a terrible food source is ridiculous!!
If wheat alone is used to replace a normally well-balanced diet, there will be problems; just like with over-indulgence of any foodstuff at the expense of others. Overeating is a problem for many just as under-exercise is bad for your health.

I am not saying that there aren't people who have problems with wheat-based products but you can't make that generalization for everyone. There aren't valid scientific studies that support your assertions. Wheat has been a significant part of the diet in Western cultures for hundreds of years and I do not see any plague of related illnesses. There is not a government-agriculture conspiracy to cover it up, either. Life expectancy has never been higher in the history of the human race. Some of the chronic illnesses we see are a function of living long enough for them to become prevalent - you have to die from something. Our sedentary lifestyle and (other) poor nutrition choices are far greater issues.

Your posts border on the fanatical with little (other than anecdotal) solid evidence. Very one-sided and devoid of scientific merit.

I am happy to say that I am a Wheater, and do not plan to change anytime soon. I think I speak for the vast majority.

By the way, I am (almost) 58 and do not have isues with obesity, acid-reflux, cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Maybe I can blame wheat for my diminished hearing or less-acute eyesight. No, perhaps that could be attributed to too much loud music in my youth, motorcycles (before I started wearing earplugs) and getting older??

Everyone can make up their own minds on this subject and render their own opinion. Just remember that opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and none of them smell very good!
Just about all of what you say is EXACTLY the way I felt in Sep of 2011. I thought it was so ridiculous, I started to investigate the whole thing solely with the idea of debunking it. I tried and tried, and the more I got into it, the more frustrated I became. The evidence for it was valid,... the "evidence" against it kept turning out to be the same old propaganda unsupported by actual robust research. That's when I decided to finally prove him wrong with a real world lab experiment,... ME! I did exactly as his procedures explained. By cracky I was going to show once and for all how bogus the whole thing was.

A funny thing happened. My everpresent headaches went away within several days. I didn't really notice it until I was a few weeks into it, but that was the turning point for me. Then the blood pressure got back to normal. I was losing a pound or two every week. My aches and pains that were keeping me off of motorcycles went away. The fecal combat changed into a serene and tidy regularity. Allergies went away. Even my current wife, who is still a flatworlder, is pleased that after 40 years I am wearing a wedding band again. There are lots more improvements I won't go into now for server bandwidth considerations.

Yes, wheaters are the vast majority. For now.

It is interesting how the folks here who say being wheat/grain/sugar free is not a good idea, have not tried it. The folks that have tried it say it improves things a lot.

I've had many many "discussions" with folks who say the whole thing is stupid. Don't make no never mind to me. Their entire argument is summarized as follows, "it doesn't work because it can't work." If those folks would try being wheat/grain/sugar free for several weeks, they'd change their tune. They always do.

I don't remember people saying it wasn't a good idea. Most have said that anyone considering it should do their own research and that any high-carb diet can cause issues. Early on it was said that a simple calory counting, portion controled lifestyle will lead most to choosing fewer empty calories and avoiding items that bring calories but not long-term hunger abatement (bread is like that).

You've reacted as if anyone disagreeing with your style of delivery (or anyone recommending others do their research before adopting a disputed new approach) is attacking you or disparaging a sacred icon. That's why my comments about religious zealotry.

It's as if a vegan came on the forum and started espousing the evils of anyone's choices that don't match their own. The difference is that plenty of people have been exposed to the militant vegan enough that they know to just ignore them and they'll either calm down or go away. It's taken us a while to learn the similarities.

Yet any time it's been mentioned, you deny the obvious similarities to the wild-eyed fanatic who just saw the light. Then, in the next breath start another sermon.

You've provided a lot of information. There are links to your sources. There are links to a few counter points. There's Google for those want to do more research. This thread has devolved into a flame war so it'll be locked.

If someone wants to start a diet thread in NEPRT, then have at it. Keep it civil. Keep the preaching out of it. Share info not hyperbole or hero worship (whatever tactful way it can be named). If another Admin wants to unlock this thread, that's their choice. If they want to kill a diet thread because it's less FJR related than desired, then that's their deal too.

Presentations that appear to be of the nature "the world is wrong and i (my hero) is right" will be considered inflamatory so keep things civil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.