Wheat Belly, or,.. How to get a few decades younger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RH has brought up another good point. It'd be seen in a possibly different light if the OP had more than 24 posts in his history[1]; and that they were about about FJRs. Without any such background, all we are left with is the foot he's chosen to put forward... and forward... and forward again. Anyone with a history of forum related posts is obviously given a little leeway when they stray to another topic because it's part of the whole.

So far this is his whole history and it's as unappetizing for those sending PMs as whole wheat is to the OP.

I highly recommend that the OP work on changing his post ratio if he has any real intentions of being seen as more than a shil for this thing of his.

[1] mostly in this thread.
Well, so far he hasn't asked any of us to buy anything so I don't see a problem with it personally, just my opinion though YMMV.

Since he's pretty new it isn't strange that his post ratio would be kind of slanted is it?

I'm sure it'll even out a bit.
The only thing I'd recommend when it comes to buying stuff is to not buy anything with wheat/grains/sugars in it.

I showed up here a long time ago trying to gen up a meet of FJRs at Daytona. We had a pretty good gathering at a beach eatery/bar (Down the Hatch) at Ponce Inlet in 2005 I think. The owner had an FJR at the time. https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/DownTheHatch-A.jpg That’s me on the left.

My next issue was the problem I am having with the ABS. I got some help with that, and for that I am grateful. That thread has several posts in it, and I did get the front ABS working again with some heat and gentle tapping.

The next issue is this Wheat Belly thing which is nothing more than me wanting to let a lot of you know about how much better things get when you stop eating wheat.

-- I was beginning to think I was going to be one of those old farts with ads on Craigslist saying "love the bike, but I just can't ride anymore for medical problems."

-- All the tortures from trips longer than an hour that were getting worse over the years (back pain, joint aches, stiff neck that couldn't twist around in traffic, fatigue, migraines) mostly disappeared. Riding for a few hours just for the fun of it is possible again.

-- On top of all that, some truly threatening things got way better,... blood pressure, prediabetic, arthritis, cholesterol numbers, etc.

This Wheat Belly thread generated waaayyyy more responses than I had imagined. THAT is why my post ratio is slanted toward this thread. There are lots of folks here that either think this is a good idea (some even want to try it), or think it is a dumb idea and throw in a lot of posts arguing against it. Pro or con, there are now 5 pages of comments, and most of them are not mine. Also please note, I didn't generate a lot of original posts here, just a few at the start. Most of what I have posted in this thread are responses.

The last issue,… I have posted a comment in another thread here about ablation.

I am still a little perplexed as to why this thread needs to be shut down.

-- it is in a section set up specifically for non-bike subjects, although this thread is somewhat bike-related

-- no one has to read any of this if they don't want to,.. just don’t click on the thread

-- there is apparently a lot of interest in it both pro and con

-- it is a server space problem or something?

I remember that "Down the Hatch" meetup thread...

...I think Bob is who he says he is.

...and if all he does is reply to other member's posts...I don't see the issue...(unless he wants to start preaching the benefits of Darksidedness).

If I was Bob....I'd say I made my point and people have enough info to decide whether this might be for them or not.

Glad you're healthy Bob...happy Riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I consider trying this change in diet, I'd like to know one thing.
Can you do a Papa Murphys in one of those smokers?
Yes, but you'll need a ceramic heat deflector. In the Green Egg it's called a Plate Setter. The Grillin' Pro Akorn has one for $36 and it works well.

I will once again agree with the wisdom of wheatonFJR. He has not steered me wrong yet.
You are obviously still drunk. It's Monday...yer supposed to recovering from yer hangover right about now...
Dumb I may be, drunk I am not. The plant where I make my wife's money is in an upset right now and I have been working long hours for several days. I have not been able to drink. I would not mind one right now though.
smile.png

Maybe I should have changed the title of the thread to, "Wheat Belly,..or How Old Guys can Ride FJRs for a Decade Longer than They Thought They Could"

Before I consider trying this change in diet, I'd like to know one thing.

Can you do a Papa Murphys in one of those smokers?
Yes, but you'll need a ceramic heat deflector. In the Green Egg it's called a Plate Setter. The Grillin' Pro Akorn has one for $36 and it works well.
I just used an existing ceramic pizza stone. It works fine and was about $10 at Home Despot.

And, as with any zealous chest thumping, there are descenting opionions on the original topic.

https://ideas.time.com/2013/01/23/whats-your-wheat-problem/

Americans love food demons, and our newest one is wheat. The top-selling diet book of the moment is Wheat Belly, in which a Wisconsin-based cardiologist blames the humble grain for everything from dandruff to dementia.

He also compares wheat to Muammar Gaddafi and heroin. Wheat Belly and its requisite upsell Wheat Belly Cookbook have sold some 300,000 copies.

and what was my point about fads/religions versus calory and portion control...

According to Davis’ patients, following the wheat-belly diet has helped them lose weight, cure Type 2 diabetes and feel better overall. Great! However, eliminating any huge category of food from one’s diet, whether it’s sugar, meat or alcohol, will usually get similar results. But it’s not a sustainable way of eating, and most people gain back the weight. Successful diets follow the same old advice: Eat less overall and move more. That hasn’t changed.
And, more telling, is an article where the writer (an admitted gluten-free advocate) documents differences in the WB claims about research results and those actual results; apparently an attempt to wrap a cloak of science over an idea that may have not be vetted quite so scientifically. WB is a 2011 book and the critics are pretty extensive. True Believers will, of course, dismiss criticisms as being influence by the lesser demon "Big Wheat" but the reality is that all religions demonize those who don't kneel at the right altar.

https://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

and https://huntgatherlove.com/content/wheat-belly

Which notes:

This book is essentially a re-packaged nouveau Atkins, with the wheat-free gimmick riding on the back of the growing gluten-free trend.
This list can be continued but, as with the original post, but I'll take my own advice and recommend that those interested in learning more about WB (both the religion and the science) do their research before they commit their health in any given direction.

There is no religion involved, unless you have a religious fervor about wanting to degrade something that can only help folks. It has no downside at all.
-- What could you lose by trying it? You don't have to buy anything or go to meetings or post bumper stickers, etc. All you have to do is not eat wheat/grains/sugars for a while and see what happens. Some changes happen within a few days; others don't show up for weeks. Some take several months. But the changes always happen, and the only religious overtones are generated by the detractors seemingly infuriated by the easy success of something so simple.
-- "Commit their health" ?? If you were making some sort of big gamble where if you guess wrong you die, I could see this being a "commitment of health." It is not.
----- The only commitment is to not eat the bad stuff for a while and see how much better things get. You get to eat meat, fish, fowl, veggies, fruit, nuts, cheese, eggs, dairy, and so forth. Okay,... there IS a commitment,.. you have to eat a lot of tasty food.
----- If you are that one person that turns out to be the one not helped in some way, then no harm, no foul. Just fuggeddabaddit. You didn't lose. You just didn't react like everyone else and you go back to the way you were.

I am a skeptical person. I don't change my mind about something unless there is some solid evidence. I hate changing my mind because it makes me feel like I was wrong, and I have an ego problem with that.
-- When I read the Doc's statement about two slices of whole wheat bread causing a more harmful blood sugar spike than a Snickers bar, that got my attention. What kind of idiotic statement is that? So I started researching. After a few days I became concerned because there were lots of conflicting accounts, and no solid proof.
-- So, I bought the book and read it. It was not an interesting read,.. too factual, no plot. The last 1/8" of it, though, was references. I know how to do scholarly research, so I spent a few evenings plodding through the references to make sure he didn't make any of them up, and to verify he did not "adjust" the findings to suit his plan. I got about half way through the references and stopped. He at least had the integrity to quote the findings accurately.
-- Just reading and validating the book was not enough to overcome my disbelief. This had to just be some sort of a fad,.. a scam. So,.. I tried it myself.
----- I was pretty healthy already, so this would be a good test.
----- After several days, I realized something huge had happened. Since my teen years (50 years ago) I have had pounding headaches two or three times a week. They were gone! No more headaches. There is no way for me to convey with a computer what a life event that is. Trust me, just from the absence of headaches alone, I am a new person. Over the next few weeks, several other things happened, some of which makes it a lot more fun riding FJRs. I won't detail all of them here. Just go to this link.

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/Wheatfreeresults02d.jpg

This is a typical statement, and not all of it is untrue. "This book is essentially a re-packaged nouveau Atkins, with the wheat-free gimmick riding on the back of the growing gluten-free trend."
-- There actually are similarities with Atkins. Atkins had a lot of things right,.. mainly the harm from high carbs. The similarity ends there, though, because Atkins didn't care much about the harm from wheat. He made some noises about it a few times, but didn't do anything about it. Those who had success with Atkins, often had trouble sticking with it because of the wheat. Wheat is addictive (it actually contains opiates) and appetite stimulants, so the Atkins folks who had success initially fell off the wagon later because they kept getting hungry. Dr Davis understands how if you stop with the wheat, and the cravings go away, you don't need willpower anymore.
-- Wheat-free gimmick, eh? Hardly. This is the basis of the whole thing. Wheat is harmful. Get rid of the wheat/grains/sugars and the changes are pretty impressive and easily sustainable.
-- "Riding on the back of the gluten-free trend." Hardly. The gluten-free fad is the very antithesis of what the Doc has his patients doing. Look at the ingredient list of a packaged food with a gluten-free label. It's always loaded with grains, sugars, and JYCP. Lots of carbs. Often they are "fortified." If it was so healthy, why does it need fortification? The trick is to eat food with no list of ingredients. Single ingredient food. Meat, fish, fowl, veggies, fruit, nuts, cheese, eggs, dairy, etc.

Glad to see the discussion continues, but when the flatworlders bring up points that show a lack of understanding, I must provide discussion. When Columbus went to the Pope in the early 1500's, imagine this discussion.
"Your Holiness, thank you for letting me see you about my next voyage to the New World."
"Yes, whatever. Now, Chris, don't be bothering me with that New World crap again. Everyone knows the world is flat and you'll fall off if you go too far. Other sailors have fallen off. The Cardinal in charge of holy geography tells me the world is flat. God knows the world is flat,.. he made it that way!!!"
"But your Holiness, I have been to the new world three times already. I never fell off,.. that is because you just keep sailing and sailing around the world. The world IS round."
"I told you not to say that."
"But Sir,.."
"Shut up. Go away. I'm not funding anything so obviously wrong. On your way out tell the Cardinal I need some more bread."

I don't change my mind about something unless there is some solid evidence. I hate changing my mind because it makes me feel like I was wrong, and I have an ego problem with that.

apparently.

Wheat is addictive (it actually contains opiates)

you didn't bother to read any of the links i provided, did you? one of them addresses the study he misrepresents in his book.

At the link: https://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

is

For a third and final example, consider Chapter 4, The Addictive Properties of Wheat, page 50 of the hardcover edition. Here, Davis writes about gluten exorphins, opiate-like compounds created when stomach enzymes take a crack at partially digesting gluten. Researchers are continuing to study how they impact the human body in myriad ways. One branch of such studies uses the drug naloxone, an opiate blocker, to cancel the potential effect of gluten exorphins and other related compounds.
Davis makes the claim that gluten exorphins are addictive like morphine (another opiate), and that those addictive properties cause you to eat more calories and gain weight. As the theory goes, block the gluten exorphins with naloxone, and you block the addictive properties of wheat-based foods. To back up his boast, he then cites a study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, in which binge eaters were left in a room filled with a variety of foods for one hour. Davis writes "participants consumed 28 percent less wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels with the administration of naloxone." And there you have it! See? Naloxone blocked the evil action of gluten exorphins, and those binge eaters ate fewer calories as a result! Except that's not what happened.

Here's the truth: While naloxone appeared to have an impact on the consumption of high fat and high sugar foods, it had no effect that correlated with gluten. In fact, while Davis claims that participants consumed 28 percent fewer wheat crackers, bread sticks, and pretzels, they actually consumed 40 percent more gluten-containing bread sticks.

I think for those people in great health, younger, and not taking any medications, it could be easy to blow this wheat subject off and try to discredit it. I still workout but In my early 60's, found myself on blood pressure medication, which went well except for jumping extra hoops to pass my FAA flying flight medical. Then came the statins drugs for high cholesterol, which can affect muscles, making it difficult for me to walk and climb stairs. Finally, the one I really hate is the acid reflex that developed after my Alaska trip 4 years ago, which has been hard to treat even with prilosec.

In the short time I have restricted wheat, my acid reflex is GONE. For years, my doctor has required 3 blood tests a year to monitor liver function because of the medications. I have another doctors appointment at the end of May and it will be interesting to see the results. For those of us searching to improve our health and maybe get off some or all our medications, limiting wheat maybe a good option? This is one forum topic I have really enjoyed to hopefully help my LD riding at age 67 and don't understand the strong resistance by some?? One medication gone.
smile.png

I showed up here a long time ago trying to gen up a meet of FJRs at Daytona. We had a pretty good gathering at a beach eatery/bar (Down the Hatch) at Ponce Inlet in 2005 I think. The owner had an FJR at the time. https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/DownTheHatch-A.jpg That’s me on the left.

And that's me standing beside Bob. And it was in 2008.
Aha! We are both correct. The first FJR meet at Down the Hatch was in 2005. 2006 and 2007 didn't happen for FJRs at Down the Hatch. The first pic (above) IS from 2008, the only other Down the Hatch FJR meet I know of.

Here's a pic of the 2005 meet. My bike is second from the right.

https://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/FJRMeet2005003_zps500ea95f.jpg

What about PIZZA? I guess that's out the window. Any substitutes?
Just asking,
I use two solutions for pizza. there are several recipes out there for grain-free pizza crust. What I do, usually, is to have the pizza places make a crustless pizza. Only the good stuff, not the crust.

I think for those people in great health, younger, and not taking any medications, it could be easy to blow this wheat subject off and try to discredit it. I still workout but In my early 60's, found myself on blood pressure medication, which went well except for jumping extra hoops to pass my FAA flying flight medical. Then came the statins drugs for high cholesterol, which can affect muscles, making it difficult for me to walk and climb stairs. Finally, the one I really hate is the acid reflex that developed after my Alaska trip 4 years ago, which has been hard to treat even with prilosec.
In the short time I have restricted wheat, my acid reflex is GONE. For years, my doctor has required 3 blood tests a year to monitor liver function because of the medications. I have another doctors appointment at the end of May and it will be interesting to see the results. For those of us searching to improve our health and maybe get off some or all our medications, limiting wheat maybe a good option? This is one forum topic I have really enjoyed to hopefully help my LD riding at age 67 and don't understand the strong resistance by some?? One medication gone.
smile.png
My blood pressure went back to normal as well. Also, I used to hog down tagamet and tums often to combat the everpresent heartburn. I have not had one of those pills for a year and half,... not one hint of heartburn since becoming wheat free.

You stated, "This is one forum topic I have really enjoyed to hopefully help my LD riding at age 67 and don't understand the strong resistance by some??" I don't understand the resistance either.

-- Apathy is understandable,.. lots of folks just plain don't care about health issues.

-- But, as you say, I don't see where the aggressive resistance comes from.

-- I could understand resistance if there were some cost or health-harming issues or sales pitches involved, but there is absolutely no downside to this. You either ignore it and forget about it, or try it out and see what happens. If you try it out, it either works or it doesn't.

-- I could understand resistance if my motives were unethical. They are NOT. My only effort here is to let you folks (my kind of folks) know about something that really makes a difference in quality of life. I just stumbled on it, doubted it seriously, then verified it, implemented it, and my life got way better. It would make me feel marvy if I could help some of you have your lives get way better as well.

-- There aren't any situations or outcomes where anyone hearing/reading about this is harmed. There is nothing to lose. I just don't see why some folks actively oppose it.

Is it anything like BEER belly. They use grain to make beer.
smile.png
You got it!! What used to be called beer belly is now understood to be wheat belly,... or rather, a protuding belly because of the fat stuffed in the body from eating grains, especially wheat.
It's also called dick-do .....when your belly sticks out farther than your dick do
wink.png

dear sweet jesus, mary, joseph and the wee donkey, this forum is slooooow. :(

don't understand the strong resistance by some

1. the zealot nature of the presentation (i don't care for Amway meetings that talk about "the plan")

2. the claimed scientific support by the originator with claims that aren't in the cited studies

While I will agree that there are some people who have a real (or imagined) sensitivity to wheat (and other foods), I believe that the suggestion that wheat is a poison and a terrible food source is ridiculous!!

If wheat alone is used to replace a normally well-balanced diet, there will be problems; just like with over-indulgence of any foodstuff at the expense of others. Overeating is a problem for many just as under-exercise is bad for your health.

I am not saying that there aren't people who have problems with wheat-based products but you can't make that generalization for everyone. There aren't valid scientific studies that support your assertions. Wheat has been a significant part of the diet in Western cultures for hundreds of years and I do not see any plague of related illnesses. There is not a government-agriculture conspiracy to cover it up, either. Life expectancy has never been higher in the history of the human race. Some of the chronic illnesses we see are a function of living long enough for them to become prevalent - you have to die from something. Our sedentary lifestyle and (other) poor nutrition choices are far greater issues.

Your posts border on the fanatical with little (other than anecdotal) solid evidence. Very one-sided and devoid of scientific merit.

I am happy to say that I am a Wheater, and do not plan to change anytime soon. I think I speak for the vast majority.

By the way, I am (almost) 58 and do not have isues with obesity, acid-reflux, cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes etc. Maybe I can blame wheat for my diminished hearing or less-acute eyesight. No, perhaps that could be attributed to too much loud music in my youth, motorcycles (before I started wearing earplugs) and getting older??

Everyone can make up their own minds on this subject and render their own opinion. Just remember that opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and none of them smell very good!

Status
Not open for further replies.