Which windshield is best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
From all that I've read, I'll have to replace the stock windshield on the '08 FJR that I will be buying next week. I've seen positive comments on the Vstream, Calsci, an CeeBailey. Has anybody tried one of these and didn't like it enough to change to one for the others? Is there a significant difference between these three windshields?Please help!

Howard

I have seen quite few excellent comments on the Calsci here on the FJR forum and other forums. Most people seem to like them better than the CeeBaily, Vstream, and puig

From all that I've read, I'll have to replace the stock windshield on the '08 FJR that I will be buying next week. I've seen positive comments on the Vstream, Calsci, an CeeBailey. Has anybody tried one of these and didn't like it enough to change to one for the others? Is there a significant difference between these three windshields?Please help!
Howard

I've never had any complaints about my three different Cee Baily's

Sold my V-Stream

No experience with Cal Sci....

I have a VStream, and like it tons better than either the CalSci or the Cee Baileys, and I have owned all of them. No comparison, in my opinion.

Howard

The windshield if fine for me(5'6"), though I`m thinking of tinting it. I guess it depends on how tall you are. The seat I had shaved from the bottom to keep the shape on top. No really long trips to test it out yet, but didn`t even notice it on a 2 hour ride.

My '04 came with a Givi flip. It was OK.

Got a Vstream from another forum member late in the season last year. WOW what a difference!

I have a VStream, and like it tons better than either the CalSci or the Cee Baileys, and I have owned all of them. No comparison, in my opinion.
Just goes to show that everyone has different experiences with windshields, because I actually prefer the Cee Bailey on my 07 FJR. I have both a Vstream and a Cee Bailey +2high flip shield. I ride all year and the Vstream is my preference for winter use only because of it's extra width that blocks a little more of that very cold winter wind. But I suspect a wider Cee Bailey would do the same. The reason I like the Cee Bailey better is that the flip gives me better wind protection without having to run it up as high. If you get a CB, make sure and order the "reverse flip" option!

Congrats on your FJR purchase.

A few details would be helpful...like your height, inseam,etc.

I'm 6' 1" with a 33" inseam.

I have a Cee Baileys 2+2+flip, a 4+4+flip, a 3+4+flip and a Calsci large.

No doubt that for me, the Cee baileys 4+4+flip is the best out of the bunch.

I have just ordered a Vstream and will be trying it out soon, as from what i understand it will make an excellent winter screen. Though it will have to be very, very good in order to replace my current CB screen.

The Calsci looks nice, but the open vents located at the bottom of the screen made a very annoying noise that drove me crazy - even a short ride. Maybe i should have ordered the X-tall (but too late for that, as i'm not ordering another one!)

The Cee Baileys screens are beautifully made and look great with a light grey tint. Personally i love the flip (or reverse contour, as some call it) and i usually ride with the screen in the 'down' position, even at highway speeds. Also, the little lady & i use a scala rider Q2 teamset/intercom and have no problems communicating, receiving calls or listening to the radio at almost any speed. And when the screen is in the 'up' position....well, its kind of like sitting in a bubble. Whisper quiet and totally tranquil!

Conclusion: Until i try out the Vstream, the 4+4+flip Cee Baileys has my vote (you can see pictures of it near the bottom of page 1 in my Russell v. Corbin thread)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114640

Whatever you choose - enjoy your new ride! :yahoo:

Keep in mind if you interested in asthetics even a small amount, the Vstream doesn't cut even remotely close to purdy. Never used one. Never will use one. I've got a custom cut Cee Baily that I've been using for some time & it had been wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - I bought the taller yamaha windshield and rode for the first time yesterday. I really like it. I was considering the others but I found this one for $85 new (I have the link somewhere). If I didn't like it I figured I could sell it and I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

Another point to consider. If you replace the stock seat you may find yourself sitting taller in the saddle. So what might work for you now might be too short with the new seat. I have a Russell seat and I'm still happy with the Yamaha tall shield.

my $.02

Hey eisen, you want to sell your CB 2+2??

Congrats on your FJR purchase. A few details would be helpful...like your height, inseam,etc.

I'm 6' 1" with a 33" inseam.

I have a Cee Baileys 2+2+flip, a 4+4+flip, a 3+4+flip and a Calsci large.

No doubt that for me, the Cee baileys 4+4+flip is the best out of the bunch.

I have just ordered a Vstream and will be trying it out soon, as from what i understand it will make an excellent winter screen. Though it will have to be very, very good in order to replace my current CB screen.

The Calsci looks nice, but the open vents located at the bottom of the screen made a very annoying noise that drove me crazy - even a short ride. Maybe i should have ordered the X-tall (but too late for that, as i'm not ordering another one!)

The Cee Baileys screens are beautifully made and look great with a light grey tint. Personally i love the flip (or reverse contour, as some call it) and i usually ride with the screen in the 'down' position, even at highway speeds. Also, the little lady & i use a scala rider Q2 teamset/intercom and have no problems communicating, receiving calls or listening to the radio at almost any speed. And when the screen is in the 'up' position....well, its kind of like sitting in a bubble. Whisper quiet and totally tranquil!

Conclusion: Until i try out the Vstream, the 4+4+flip Cee Baileys has my vote (you can see pictures of it near the bottom of page 1 in my Russell v. Corbin thread)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114640

Whatever you choose - enjoy your new ride! :yahoo:

Asking which windshield (or aux lighting) is best is like asking a priest which altar boy is the best.

It depends on the priest and what his needs are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5' 9.5" with 30" inseam

'04 Gen I with Sargent seat

Went from a Yammy large shield which was quite noisy and buffet ee to replacement

CalSci Medium (with lower holes / vents)

Love the CS very much. Quiet as a mouse at all speeds when all the way up. Now I can hear the purr of the engine.

Went with the Medium as a year long shield. Wider (to the mirrors), but still lets air by all the way down for the hot summers here.

Best to ya,

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

When I was researching which windshield to get (Cal Sci, V Stream, Cee Bailey, Rifle). I found that for the most part everyone's favorite windshield was the one that they were using. I

finally decided on a V Stream and really like it. What pushed me over the edge for it was the price. I got it Delivered for $130. But the prices have gone up since.

I put a V-Stream on my bike two weeks after I got it. The V Stream DID eliminate the turbulance problem I had with the stocker--MUCH better and NO felt turbulence. I am using a 102 Nolen helmet though and I have a very deep "resonance" sound that frankly drives me Nuts! NOT as bad as stock, but still very much a nuisance :angry: I can hold a hand below the helmet and most of it goes away, so I'm 99% sure my current problem is a "helmet" issue. Got a new Shoei on the way that I'm gonna try :rolleyes: . I like the V Stream a lot, and if I can beat the noise problem, it will be on my bike from now on!

Gpt tje Shoei but found it didn't fit my punkin, however I have now bought a new Arai Corsair-First ride today and it was GOOD. Very quiet behind the V-Stream....FINALLY I can take a ride without suffering from noise!!! I am a VERY happy camper!!