Who was draggin' a bag on the Dragon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bounce, I happen to disagree with you completely. Not all folks have the same riding style. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are destined to crash.
I still say, take Killboy's camera out of the equation, and he's NOT gonna be ridin' like that.

I'm jus' sayin'.... ;)

img_8112.jpg

At least he's riding his FJR on the Dragon instead of whining about it at his computer!

+10000 ROTFLMAO

Should his ass be off the seat? Probably. But some folks just don't ride that way. Is he perfect? nope, but none of us are all the time.
The point being made about hanging off, is that when riding this hard, he should be moving his bodyweight off the bike so he can get more traction, increasing his margin of safety. In other words, change the equation from 8/8's to 8/10's, which is much more appropriate for riding on the street.

OK, I'm sure I will hear it, but what the heck do those numbers mean? :dribble:

Boy I really need to do a race school!!! :unsure:

I wasn't there and don't know the road and all the other standard disclaimers apply ..... But.

It looks like he could have taken the apex a bit later in the turn. That would give him some margin for error and while not the fastest... would be fun.

Or... like has been said before... go for maximum lean.. cliky onthe camera.. mission accomplished.

Scotty

Or you could listen to everyone around here and STAY RIGHT. You can not possibly see enough of that corner to know if some hillbilly is cranking around the corner in the General Lee using up your half of the double yellow and then some.
Well, not everyone...just the smarter ones. :rolleyes:

Judging from that picture, one could argue that one could see far enough through the corner ahead to apex it, if one was in a hurry to get through there (like when on a racetrack). I'm usually not in that big a hurry to risk crossing the debris field that is often in the center of most lanes (right, Shanta?). And, as I always say, why straighten out a perfectly good corner (unless you're in a hurry, like when on a BBG or a racetrack)?

That said, it definitely looks like he's at the ragged edge of available traction. If I scrape a peg, it's because I've done something wrong. I like to maximize my traction credit limit by minimizing lean angle. That way, I have a prayer of recovery if I hit a pebble or a chipmunk in mid-turn.

It would look much cooler if he was dragging a knee instead of a bag....

It seems like that everyone that went or have had a MSF class is an expert on that rider and style of ridding.

The only thing wrong with that rider is that, all the people offering there highly technical opinion are unhappy cause it is not them going through that turn.

There sure seem to be a lot of perfect riders out there or is it they are only perfect in front of the computer

I would bet that guy did not have a MSF class and he made that corner and did not crash and lived to tell about it another day. :butcher:

In other words, change the equation from 8/8's to 8/10's, which is much more appropriate for riding on the street.

Chris, the numbers refer to when your riding on the street not riding at 10/10ths. In other words when riding on the street ride 7/10ths because of all the unknowns in the riding environment. (other bikes, gravel, animals, etc..)

On a track a lot of the environment variables are removed so you could ride at 10/10ths and have less risk than on the public roads.

I prolly just confused the shit out of ya, Sorry! ;)

JW

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure miss TWN's witty input on threads like this. He could have expressed in 5 words what it would take me 5 paragraphs to say -- and relatively speakin', I'd still sound like a dumbass.

Dude, the guy is ridin' that bike hard. Let him be.

Keeerist.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I sure miss TWN's witty input on threads like this. He could have expressed in 5 words what it would take me 5 paragraphs to say -- and relatively speakin', I'd still sound like a dumbass.
Dude, the guy is ridin' that bike hard. Let him be.

Keeerist.
Amen. :clapping:

In other words, change the equation from 8/8's to 8/10's, which is much more appropriate for riding on the street.

Chris, the numbers refer to when your riding on the street not riding at 10/10ths. In other words when riding on the street ride 7/10ths because of all the unknowns in the riding environment. (other bikes, gravel, animals, etc..)

On a track a lot of the environment variables are removed so you could ride at 10/10ths and have less risk than on the public roads.

I prolly just confused the shit out of ya, Sorry! ;)

JW
Thanks JW, I think I got it. In other words you ride 100% =10/10 on the track and only 70% =7/10 or 80% =8/10 of your potential on the street.

Yep, I stepped up to the plate and said something critical about the riding style. I did so because the title of this thread has a big "Impressive" tag on it.

There tends to be frequent glorification of severe lean angles on this and other forums. I fell into that trap as a newbie on this forum, and I'm determined to do my part to diminish that misconception. I've learned better and hope to share.

Take the "Impressive" off the thread title and I would have kept my mouth shut. Too late now!

I feel that experienced riders need to take a stand against glorifying severe lean angles where hard parts are obviously being scraped. That picture shows what a bike looks like just before it POSSIBLY gets leaned a bit too far and low sides.

Nobody is saying hang your ass off the seat, just move the upper body further to the inside of the turn and allow the bike to track more vertical (less lean angle) and perhaps a bit higher off the deck.

My apologies to the rider, whoever he may be, for picking on his form in this picture. I'm damn sure you could find plenty of photos where my form looks worse. But if somebody is going to tag this photo as "Impressive", then I'm going to refute it as "Not At All Impressive". In fact, I'd call it "LUCKY".

Ya'll have a nice day now, ya' hear!

Last edited by a moderator:
There tends to be frequent glorification of severe lean angles on this and other forums. I fell into that trap as a newbie on this forum, and I'm determined to do my part to diminish that misconception.
Me too, Jeff. I do my part mainly by riding like a grandpa (after all, I am one) and maintaining the largest chicken strips possible. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: