Who's In Va

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Drew. Jim here in Stafford VA. IN fact I may be riding out your way today with Lorie. Welcome.

Hi Drew;

Welcome!! I'm in Warrenton... not too far from Winchester at all.

Looks like there are quite a few VA folks.

Would be great to work out a get together before the EOM meeting.

Best regards

Patrick

Hello all, Chris in Richmond here. We have a bike meeting the second Sunday of every month in the "bottom" here in Richmond.

We meet at Poes pub at the Bottom of Church hill at 9am. Church hill is wear Patrick Henry gave his "give me liberty of give me death speech" at St Johns church for all you history buffs.

On a good Sunday there can be as many as 50 bikes and a wide variety of people and machines. Eat breakfast at Poes and then pick up a ride with someone headed out Rt 5 or to the Blue Ridge.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet up. :)

Chris G

Hi Chris - I'm up in Stafford. Might take you up on this some Sunday. I'm a history buff and would like to see the place. A ride to Appomattox via Petersburg might be an interesting trip too.

Hi Everyone,

Tom from Ohio.

Sorry to highjack but i need some help.

A group of us buckeyes will be doing a weekender on August 4-6.

As of now we plan on riding rt. 250 to rt 50 over to Winchester, VA on friday 8-4.

We have plans to spend Saturday night in Elkins, WV, so here is where i need some help.

I need to plan a 250 to 400 mile day for Saturday August 5th starting in Winchester & ending in Elkins, now my only requirements are; Perfect roads (the twistyer the better), No LEO's, No Traffic, & Perfect weather, Is that to much to ask? :D

Thank's in advance.

Tom

Hi Chris - I'm up in Stafford. Might take you up on this some Sunday. I'm a history buff and would like to see the place. A ride to Appomattox via Petersburg might be an interesting trip too.
Sure come on down and i'll show you around. I have some knowledge of the battlefields in the area and i'm sure i can make a good round trip visiting a few and getting good roads in there too. Remember it's always the second Sunday of the month.

Hi Everyone,Tom from Ohio.

As of now we plan on riding rt. 250 to rt 50 over to Winchester, VA on friday 8-4.

We have plans to spend Saturday night in Elkins, WV, so here is where i need some help.

I need to plan a 250 to 400 mile day for Saturday August 5th starting in Winchester & ending in Elkins, now my only requirements are; Perfect roads (the twistyer the better), No LEO's, No Traffic, & Perfect weather, Is that to much to ask? :D

Thank's in advance.

Tom
Hi Tom, I haven't been in Ohio but can probably make a few suggestions & especially since I just rode thru parts of WV 3 weeks ago. Let me look at a map. There are areas of 250 that really suck. There are also areas of 250 that completely rock! Rte 50... really good areas of that road. We did one road that ran between 28 & 250 called Smoke Hole Road. I HIGHLY recommend it. This was my favorite road of the week.

W/O looking at a map you might seriously take a look at riding parts of Rte 33 instead of the boring part of 250.

I'll take a look at a map & get back with you.

Heidi

Hi Everyone,Tom from Ohio.

Thank's in advance.

Tom
Tom,

Some interesting routes that I remember in that area...

50 From Winchester to 93 to 32 to 72 to 219 to 33 to Seneca Rocks (Elkins is near the intersection of 219 and 33 - you'll be about 150 miles from Winchester when you reach Elkins)

55 between I81 (near Strasburg, Va) and Seneca Rocks

33 between I81 (near Harrisonburg, Va) and Seneca Rocks

I'll leave it to the locals to provide more details.

Thanks Heidi,

We are pretty well set on our route to Winchester, VA on Friday.

I'm not sure Skyline drive is a good idea on a Saturday, so i'm looking for options?

Any advise will be appreciated.

Anyone interested in tagging along on a Saturday ride is welcome.

Hi Everyone,

Tom from Ohio.

Thank's in advance.

Tom
Tom,

Some interesting routes that I remember in that area...

50 From Winchester to 93 to 32 to 72 to 219 to 33 to Seneca Rocks (Elkins is near the intersection of 219 and 33 - you'll be about 150 miles from Winchester when you reach Elkins)

55 between I81 (near Strasburg, Va) and Seneca Rocks

33 between I81 (near Harrisonburg, Va) and Seneca Rocks

I'll leave it to the locals to provide more details.

Thanks for help, looks like we will have lots of good roads to ride.

Tom, I'm really considering riding out to meet you guys in Winchester Friday night & riding to Elkton with ya'll on Saturday & heading home on Sunday.

As time gets closer I'll be checking the weather... because if it's as hot as it's been I'm not pulling the thigh cooker out to go anywhere on it.

WV & the western part of Virginia offers some absolutely fantastic riding. I'm not familiar w/ the Winchester area... but get a little further south & I can probably suggest some good roads.

Your route out of Ohio on 250 to 50 over to Winchester... never road this part of 250 b4. I hear that the whole stretch of 50 is good... & some areas being fabulous.

As time gets closer I'll be in touch. I'll bet some of the guys fr/ up that way would be glad to share route info in the Winchester area, too.

Heidi

Tom, I'm really considering riding out to meet you guys in Winchester Friday night & riding to Elkton with ya'll on Saturday & heading home on Sunday.
As time gets closer I'll be checking the weather... because if it's as hot as it's been I'm not pulling the thigh cooker out to go anywhere on it.

WV & the western part of Virginia offers some absolutely fantastic riding. I'm not familiar w/ the Winchester area... but get a little further south & I can probably suggest some good roads.

Your route out of Ohio on 250 to 50 over to Winchester... never road this part of 250 b4. I hear that the whole stretch of 50 is good... & some areas being fabulous.

As time gets closer I'll be in touch. I'll bet some of the guys fr/ up that way would be glad to share route info in the Winchester area, too.

Heidi

You got mail.

Tom

shuping here. located on the outskirts of zuni, va between suffolk and petersburg 2 miles off 460. riding an 06. interested in riding to the blue ridge when the rack and backrest arrive. wife loves to ride but likes a backrest for the longer trips. we've been known to strap a guitar, fiddle, sleeping bags, tent, and whatever else a bungie can hold on and hit the road. look a bit like the beverly hillbillys going down the road. let me know of any va meetings. the richmond thing sounds good. may hit that in aug. if anyone needs a stopover or needs help on the road give us a shout. only one shuping in zuni :)

Tom,

You know yet where you're staying in Winchester? I only live about an hour away in Arlington and may be able to ride out Sat. morning to ride with you.

Like Heidi said, hopefully the weather will cool by them. It could hit 100 in DC today :(

Gary

hiya shuping;

Welcome from Northern Virginia!!

I'm always interested in meeting other folks that love music and motorcycling as much as I do and in this case I'm ready to learn from the masters. I gotta say I was intrigued by what you said here:

>>...we've been known to strap a guitar, fiddle, sleeping bags, tent, and whatever else a bungie can hold on and hit the road.<<
...for the life of me I've never quite figured out a good way to strap down any of my guitars to any of the bikes I've owned where it didn't scare the bajeebies out of me, I'd wuss out, and take the cage out instead. I've just never had enough guts to actually do it yet. I'm all ears and eyes if you can describe it or ever come up with some photos. One of the guitars I have laying around has a gig bag with something that sorta works like backpack straps and I think I could convince myself to give that a go, but its the instruments in hard shell cases that have always had me perplexed. hook a brother up!!

in any case, glad to see ya here... look forward to sitting down for a little music some day in the future. Take care and best regards!!

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,
You know yet where you're staying in Winchester? I only live about an hour away in Arlington and may be able to ride out Sat. morning to ride with you.

Like Heidi said, hopefully the weather will cool by them. It could hit 100 in DC today :(

Gary

Not sure of the Hotel in Winchester but i'll find out & let you know, I'm in charge of route planning, another guy locked up the rooms, I know it's the Elkins motor lodge on Saturday night, i'll get back to you on fridays plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

Gary

Not sure of the Hotel in Winchester but i'll find out & let you know, I'm in charge of route planning, another guy locked up the rooms, I know it's the Elkins motor lodge on Saturday night, i'll get back to you on fridays plan.
Tom, are you guys getting a group rate on lodging whereas I'd need to make reservations b4 hand?