Why is the FJr being left out of tests?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingz06

Reaction score
when comparing sport touring machines. :huh: The Kawi is always in it and wins.

Personally i think the Kawi handles poorly compared to my FJR.

I think they're leaving it out because there's been nothing changed since last test. It would be nice if they still include it for comparison.

when comparing sport touring machines. :huh: The Kawi is always in it and wins.

Personally i think the Kawi handles poorly compared to my FJR.
There's a saying in the advertising industry: "Sell the sizzle, not the steak." The newest bikes are sizzle. The FJR is steak.

The mags that leave the FJR our of S/T comparos are doing their readers a singular disservice. The FJR, despite it's being a bit out-dated spec-wise, is still competitive and represents an excellent value. At the very least the mags should include a "where would these bikes rate" section that would include both the FJR and the ST1300 (which Honda seems to have abandoned). But as a practical matter, the mags don't really care about their readers because, despite what their editors might tell you very earnestly, their readers are not their primary audience. Their primary audience is their advertisers, and Yamaha, which is in dire financial straits, has cut their advertising budget way back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the older Concours C-10 was regularly left out of all comparisons. No big deal....they only report on the "latest and greatest, gee-whizbang, gizmo laden, up-to-date, state-of-the-art" creations from the advertisers. It's business, not customer service.

Besides, word of mouth advertisement is the best type and I'm often talked to about my bike when stopped for a "rest". Owner surveys by prospective buyers: priceless! ;)

There are some minor design flaws with the fjr, but nothing that several hundred pounds can't sort, suspension upgrade, screen, decent tyre all make huge steps in handling and comfort to match the latest bikes.

Adding tpms PCV(autotune) bar risers and sat nav brings the bike upto the spec of a new BMW 1600 with all the fun of modifying

Money talks. No changes, plus no advertising, and few dealers putting the bike on the showroom floor. As good as the bike is the company needs to SELL the product with some modifications. That is marketing.

I test my FJR every time I ride it...I just don't have photogs and writers around when I do it.

FJR tests out pretty good for me. You?

Join the folks over on the ST1300 forums. They have the same complaint. The problem is the designs are almost ten years old. But hold onto your twistgrip: for the next two years you'll get your fill of BMW K1600 tests. Until or unless Honda/Yamaha puts out a new sport-tourer.

pete

for the next two years you'll get your fill of BMW K1600 tests.
My K1600 review: Just saw one in person... holy christ, it looks like a huge scooter! At least a Goldwing looks sort of like a motorcycle.

Maybe it's because they're so popular that the motomags can't get one to test!!!!! They've all been sold to happy forum members.

Gary

darksider #44

It's a comparison of the bikes, not a set of individual reviews. So how does a senior citizen FJR/ST1300 compare to more recent designs? If you aren't going to include the older sport-tourer designs in your comparo, you are pretty much left with the Concours 14, the new Triumph Sprint GT and BMW K1600. I'm guessing most moto-mags will have that comparo in their June or July issues at the latest. But we won't need to read the article to know who is going to win, do we? <_<

BTW,I haven't ridden one but had a bried test-sit on the new Triumph. Very nicely done! Riding position is too sporty for my aging joints (moreso than the FJR) but Triumph has a winner, I think. Those triples are sweet!

pete

I'm just helping a mate do a front to back repair, replace service on his Triumph 955i st sprint.

He is not the original owner, but with 12 years of poor service records, it is slow going, freeing off virtually every bolt I touch.

It started out as a leaking fork seal job to now,

Complete fork rebuild including powder coating forks

New discs all round

Upgraded master front brake assy

Hayabusa calipers-cheaper than rebuilding OE,

New clutch cable and spring

Chain sprocket kit

Swing.arm removal which is a pig because linkage has badly rusted and needs cutting out to remove.

Engine service, fluids, filters-best part of bike, runs well!

Anything else that crops up whilst dismantling.

I'm enjoying doing my mates bike, as my bike is pretty well much in top notch service and it has allowed me to buy some needed tools for the job :)

Andy

Just like the other guys are saying, when the FJR1300 came out there were a lot of comparisons, but over the years with no changes or upgrades

there is no reason to compair and older bike to a newer one, the Kawasaki is still making changes and upgrades each year, and that is why it

keeps getting into the comparisons with new sport tourers. The FJR is a great bike and we all know it.

Every time I do a walk around the FJR, I feel like it should be worth much more money. The attention to detail that Yamaha put on this bikes is outstanding.

The fact that doesn't come with GPS doesn't bother me. I would however love Ipod connectivity. I like to personalize my bikes anyway. The only think that I think the FJR is missing is an L and an S edition. The L (Luxury) with air adjustable suspension, Sofa like seats, Adjustable rear sets and handlebars, Goldwing like ride and top case. The S should be much lighter, No top case, sport suspension and more power. Oh well, I guess dreaming is a good thing.

Every time I do a walk around the FJR, I feel like it should be worth much more money. The attention to detail that Yamaha put on this bikes is outstanding.

The fact that doesn't come with GPS doesn't bother me. I would however love Ipod connectivity. I like to personalize my bikes anyway. The only think that I think the FJR is missing is an L and an S edition. The L (Luxury) with air adjustable suspension, Sofa like seats, Adjustable rear sets and handlebars, Goldwing like ride and top case. The S should be much lighter, No top case, sport suspension and more power. Oh well, I guess dreaming is a good thing.
I would tend to agree. I've owned a few bikes but I really feel that the FJR is better put together than any of them so far. Even the direct competitor the Concours 14 had some cheap feeling stuff to it, which I acknowledge has been improved since the 2008 I had... but still. When you pay 15 large for a bike you expect Mercedes level of fit and finish! Now, I might be still in the honeymoon phase, having only owned the bike for less than two weeks, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like.

As for the two versions of the bike... meh. Personally I'd much rather have a single option to buy (one size fits noone?) and then modify it to make it mine. My last bike (a 2004 BMW R1150GS) was stock when I purchased it. By the time I traded it I had crash bars, hand guards, HID headlights and high beams (not doing that again), HID riding lights (Eclipses... wonderful lights!), a Corbin seat and sidecases that looked and felt like ammo boxes. I enjoyed the process of farkling it to be mine... and though by the end it was almost there I always felt it wasn't quite right even with all the mods. I got rid of it, got the FJR and with only a few mods that were already on the bike (Corbin seat, GPS mount but no GPS, heated grips that currently don't work) the bike feels almost perfect right out of the gate. I'm looking at ripping and replacing the heated grips, investing in a smuggler trunk for solo rides and maybe a top case... and that's about it. The bike just doesn't need much in my opinion.

I do like the fact that BMW is going the "two versions" route with the K1600GT(L), but really? Even the last generation while being supposedly a good bike according to all reports just felt far too much of an "old man's bike" for me. When I sat on it, the cowling just came so far up in my view that I felt more like I was in a car. Any more dash in front of me and I would've been wondering if I were on a Goldwing (and hunting for reverse gear). Maybe the 1600 will be a bit different, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

The FJR is a great bike but Yamaha keeps raising the price without any changes. It does make the FJR an outstanding used bike but that's not the point of shootouts. Trouble is, as long as YAMAHA does that and the other brands don't get too far ahead, what's the point of any of us buying a new FJR? (except for the few hi-mi guys that can actually wear these out.)

The FJR is a great bike but Yamaha keeps raising the price without any changes. It does make the FJR an outstanding used bike but that's not the point of shootouts. Trouble is, as long as YAMAHA does that and the other brands don't get too far ahead, what's the point of any of us buying a new FJR? (except for the few hi-mi guys that can actually wear these out.)
A 300 dollar hike with the way the dollar is dropped is not much, as far as it goes i have not seen any thing that the other newer models have that is worth the price difference and a lot of things they have done that would make me not buy. I would say the biggest reason they do not put the FJR in is that for a bike that is a 10 year old design it holds up way to well and makes the other bikes look bad in comparison.