Why so many '05 FJRs on the market?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the real answers why so many 05's are being sold. It isn't all that complicated, really. As Iggy already pointed out, there are more '05's than any other 1st gen bike. 1st gen bikes were PDP, which means that people bought them based on what they expected it to be like. Once they got them, some of the people decided they didn't really like it as much as they thought they would. These were the people that complained about things such as jerky throttle control, lean cruise surging, heat on their tender vittles, auto folding side stands, etc. These would be the low mileage '05's that you see.

Another segment of the PDP buyers found that they could put a PCIII on the bike, a heat blanket under the tank and a Cromeit block-off on the left side and the bike is a fabulous machine that lives up to their every expectation and desire. But then they came out with Gen2 and some of those 1st Gen buyers decided they'd like to "upgrade" their ride, so they too can enjoy ECU altitude sickness, defective ignition switch gear, melting ground junctions and other assorted electrical gremlins while still maintaining cool balls. Those would be the higher mileage '05's you see out there.

I have the real answers why so many 05's are being sold. It isn't all that complicated, really. As Iggy already pointed out, there are more '05's than any other 1st gen bike. 1st gen bikes were PDP, which means that people bought them based on what they expected it to be like. Once they got them, some of the people decided they didn't really like it as much as they thought they would. These were the people that complained about things such as jerky throttle control, lean cruise surging, heat on their tender vittles, auto folding side stands, etc. These would be the low mileage '05's that you see.
Another segment of the PDP buyers found that they could put a PCIII on the bike, a heat blanket under the tank and a Cromeit block-off on the left side and the bike is a fabulous machine that lives up to their every expectation and desire. But then they came out with Gen2 and some of those 1st Gen buyers decided they'd like to "upgrade" their ride, so they too can enjoy ECU altitude sickness, defective ignition switch gear, melting ground junctions and other assorted electrical gremlins while still maintaining cool balls. Those would be the higher mileage '05's you see out there.
exactly :yahoo:

Thanks for the answers so far, and I'm glad to hear comments on the heat issue as this and the tick issue has been the main concerns with getting a Gen 1. (I have read about them on this site and wasn't trying to re-open that debate.) I used to own a Honda ST1300 and there was similar debate about how hot they were, and some folks selling them just because of the heat issue. They speculated that some bikes were hot while others weren't, which I found bizarre. At any rate, I never felt any excessive heat from mine so I thought I could tolerate the heat issue with a Gen 1 bike.

I'm aware that they made a number of other changes on the Gen 2 bikes, including fixing the tick issue. My preference would be a Gen 2 bike, but unfortunately a Gen 1 is all I can afford right now! It's also interesting to see the variability in the prices advertised on these bikes. Seems like some people ask for and get a reasonable price pretty quickly, as with the '04 ABS that I lost that was advertised at $6900. Many price them as much as several thousand dollars higher, and I'm sure they don't sell.

Perhaps as some have suggested, sales of the '05 may have been far more than the '04.

I think I'm just going to put off the purchase until I can afford a Gen 2.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks for the answers so far, and I'm glad to hear comments on the heat issue as this and the tick issue has been the main concerns with getting a Gen 1. (I have read about them on this site and wasn't trying to re-open that debate.) I used to own a Honda ST1300 and there was similar debate about how hot they were, and some folks selling them just because of the heat issue. They speculated that some bikes were hot while others weren't, which I found bizarre. At any rate, I never felt any excessive heat from mine so I thought I could tolerate the heat issue with a Gen 1 bike.
I'm aware that they made a number of other changes on the Gen 2 bikes, including fixing the tick issue. My preference would be a Gen 2 bike, but unfortunately a Gen 1 is all I can afford right now! It's also interesting to see the variability in the prices advertised on these bikes. Seems like some people ask for and get a reasonable price pretty quickly, as with the '04 ABS that I lost that was advertised at $6900. Many price them as much as several thousand dollars higher, and I'm sure they don't sell.

Perhaps as some have suggested, sales of the '05 may have been far more than the '04.

I think I'm just going to put off the purchase until I can afford a Gen 2.

Thanks,

Rick
At this point in time, the tick issue is a non-issue, since Yamaha has been stepping up and fixing any tickers even when they were well beyond the warranty. Also, unlike the ignition switch recall, the tickers are a relatively small minority of the '05's sold. I wouldn't let it sway you away from a 1st gen.

But since you raise this point, that reminds me of one other reason that some '05 owners might be looking to sell.

My YES warranty runs out in September...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a matter of time before those who want to get the newest and pricest model drop the 05 prices to where I can pick up a second. :)

30,000 in a year half and running strong; no heat, no tick, just pure enjoyment. :D

At this point in time, the tick issue is a non-issue, since Yamaha has been stepping up and fixing any tickers even when they were well beyond the warranty. Also, unlike the ignition switch recall, the tickers are a relatively small minority of the '05's sold. I wouldn't let it sway you away from a 1st gen.
But since you raise this point, that reminds me of one other reason that some '05 owners might be looking to sell.

My YES warranty runs out in September...
Thanks for that bit of important information. I was wondering if Yamaha would fix any remaining tickers that are out of warranty. That certainly indicates that maybe I should consider a Gen 1. I'm impressed that Yamaha seems to be listening to and taking care of their customers.

Man, I really liked the color of the '04 compared to the '05 though! Is the later model AE Cerulean Silver the same as the '04 color? I would also prefer to get ABS, as the ABS on my ST saved my a$$ one time.

Rick

C-Silver on the 06-08 FJRs are the same as the 04, but that color only came on the AE (Autoclutch) FJR.

Either Gen has it's advantages and disadvantages, but both are good bikes.

BUT.....you can get GenIs for cheaper, and there are plenty of us who are more than satisfied with our GenI FJR. There are reasons I have two GenI FJRs and not one of each.

I dunno. I bought a gen I because I could get a comparable bargain compared to Gen II. Got my 14k mi 05 with ABS and farkles for $6900. I can install the heat blanket and cromeit mods for a few bucks, and what am I missing? If it starts to tick, Yamaha has it covered. And I actually have some YES remaining anyway.

I think if you can find a good deal on a GEN I, go for it. I really like mine. I also like all the money I saved - and also paid cash instead of financing.

I dunno. I bought a gen I because I could get a comparable bargain compared to Gen II. Got my 14k mi 05 with ABS and farkles for $6900. I can install the heat blanket and cromeit mods for a few bucks, and what am I missing? If it starts to tick, Yamaha has it covered. And I actually have some YES remaining anyway.
I think if you can find a good deal on a GEN I, go for it. I really like mine. I also like all the money I saved - and also paid cash instead of financing.

Bingo!

Makes a big difference.

My 2004 (now Maxman's) felt the same as my 2008 does regarding heat. I had no heat complaints.

Gotta say that I don't have issues with the heat on my '05 either. The Blackbirds ('97 and '03) that have been in my stable have been just as hot. I don't doubt that the GenIIs do a better job of redirecting the heat, but having this much engine between your legs is going to produce heat, no matter what.

I have put near 40,000 miles on my 05 riding all around this country and plan to put another 40,000 riding around this country some more, all the while with a great big ole grin on my face.

And for any yahoo that wants to come talk about pussy, I will be at SFO next weekend. :angry2:

Mark

And no comments about how much I resemble the little guy in my post.

I have put near 40,000 miles on my 05 riding all around this country and plan to put another 40,000 riding around this country some more, all the while with a great big ole grin on my face.And for any yahoo that wants to come talk about pussy, I will be at SFO next weekend. :angry2:
Only 80,000?!?!?!

Ya big pussy! :****:

Oh, and I'll be ducking and running for cover somewhere in Arizona this weekend. ;)

05s look like ass and are ridden by pussies.
I knew about the look (and smell) like ass ...but I didn't believe the pussy part ....

UNTIL .....I did a search of all the 05 profiles here ......YES, every single one of the 05 owners is a freaking pussy.

Sorry, but the truth is the truth.

Thanks Greg, I missed this at first glance, I guess I always want to think the best of people.

I knew about the look (and smell) like ass ...but I didn't believe the pussy part ....

UNTIL .....I did a search of all the 05 profiles here ......YES, every single one of the 05 owners is a freaking pussy.

Thanks Greg, I missed this at first glance, I guess I always want to think the best of people.
Sorry...but this post just bears repeating.

:lol: :lol:

I also have a Gen1 (2003) with the heat mods & love the bike. I have thought about buying a newer bike but mine runs great & I really like the bright silver color.

Sorry...but this post just bears repeating.

:lol: :lol:
Oh yeah! Well :****: for you and an extra :****: for RenoJohn.

Actually, I wanted a silver one when I first saw the '03. By the time I convinced myself to part with the money all I could get was blue. Once I got it blue became my favorite color and I won't give it up until it is totally worn out.

Back to the original question, I agree with the point that YES is expiring for some '05 owners, and this is when some people would be making the last payment on their loans.