Why so many '05 FJRs on the market?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really confused:

I thought the 2003 was the Gen 1, the 2004 and 2005 Gen 2 and the 2006+ were Gen 3.

After all there were changes to the body and brake disks, plus the ABS option was added in 2004. The turn signals were integrated, and the brake area increased.

For 2006, we got the adjustable seat, better heat management, and more weight, plus the clutchless option I see all the time on dealer floors (can't sell them).

But I thought the engine and transmission were unchanged for the entire run.

So, what am I missing (despite the usual....) <_<

RickJ., what u probably won`t hear from the sellers of pre 06 feejrs, is the fact that the 1st generation bikes were hot as hell to ride...as in sitting on a blast furnace. Go ahead: ask me how I know! The 2nd gen. bikes are a whole new world...stay away from the 1st. :assassin:
You'd think a Canadian would appreciate the extra heat? I sure do for half the year in Oregon. I cut holes in the plastic pannel below the radiator as has been discussed for gen 1's. I cover these with duct tape half the year, when its warm I pull the tape and have some air. Of course, I'm not ridin in the sunny south, maybe this fix wouldn't fix anything there, but for up here, its just fine.

The NERT on this forum says there were only 1800 03's made, but I wonder if that is for the states, or is that worldwide. 1800 is not many.

Who resurrected this crappy thread? :blink:

Admins have participated in this '05 bashing, bashing thred. I havbe notuiced poor speling and grahmmer, and it's just not rite. :angry2:

I also noticed that most posts were not on a Friday! Again, transgressing the unwritten law. :glare:

SO all you bad mouth-ers of '05's are just poopy heads! Stop the bashing! (insert your favorite youtube Britney guy crying here). Leave them alone!!! :dribble:

Oh forget it. Someone please bring this back up on Friday May, 22. Thank you. :rolleyes:

And Bust only posted once on this.... Must not be that good then.

Last edited by a moderator:
plus the clutchless option I see all the time on dealer floors (can't sell them).
Yeah I heard that, but could never find one, so the dealer ordered one in for me. There must be quite a lot of dealer incentives though, because they made me a great deal, $12K for a brand new 08 AE.

As far as improvements for Gen II (06 and newer) they really did a great job managing the engine heat. Today was the first oportunity for me to ride in warm weather with it. I notice no heat while sitting at stop lights. My previous bike, a 2006 FZ1 would have roasted me in the same situation.

I do agree with what most of the Gen 1 riders are saying. I really don't see a reason to upgrade to the Gen II unless you want YCC-S, or you just can't live with the Gen 1 heat. If heat is a problem, the fixes are well documented and are proven to work well. I'm a big fan of both generations, and would be happy on either.

The 2005 model is a great bike, if the deal is right buy it!

RickJ., what u probably won`t hear from the sellers of pre 06 feejrs, is the fact that the 1st generation bikes were hot as hell to ride...as in sitting on a blast furnace. Go ahead: ask me how I know! The 2nd gen. bikes are a whole new world...stay away from the 1st. :assassin:
Have to say that not all gen1 bikes have heat issues. Lots of factors are involved including what gear is used. Personally my 03 doesn't generate any more heat than my Connie did and no where as much as my Enfield. Keep in mind that you are holding an internal combustion engine next to your balls so a bit of heat is to be expected.
I have a 2005 adn I have ridden a 2008 , No difference in heat. I love my 2005, Just wish it wasnt an ABS bike.

Have to say that not all gen1 bikes have heat issues. Lots of factors are involved including what gear is used. Personally my 03 doesn't generate any more heat than my Connie did and no where as much as my Enfield. Keep in mind that you are holding an internal combustion engine next to your balls so a bit of heat is to be expected.
I have a 2005 adn I have ridden a 2008 , No difference in heat. I love my 2005, Just wish it wasnt an ABS bike.
Is there a reason you don`t like ABS . I myself like the idea of ABS as i borrowed a 96 BMW R1100RT & would have crashed it if it wasn`t for the ABS saving my butt. So when i saw my 07 & ABS was on it, it was a no brainer to buy it. You can just disable a sensor to make the ABS not work.