Why so many '05 FJRs on the market?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2004 (now Maxman's) felt the same as my 2008 does regarding heat. I had no heat complaints.
I have a heat issue with my Gen ll- I just plugged the "hood scoop" under the shield with soft foam to shut off the blast of cold air-much better.

Having owned an 03, 06 & 08 I can tell you the 06 and newer is a much more refined bike in a number of ways the most noticeable being the heat issues. The 08 is also said to have an improved ABS system but I do not know that for sure.

Hi All,
I'm in the market for an FJR and have been researching the bike and debating whether to buy a Gen 2 versus a Gen 1, etc. I've been watching Craigslist, Cycle Trader, and eBay to get an idea of prices and availability of used FJRs in SoCal or within a day or two ride from here. (Folks selling on Craigslist seem to advertise the best prices.)

I had an opportunity to buy a clean low mileage '04 with ABS late this afternoon that just showed up on Craigslist. I told him I'd be by in the morning and had planned on buying it. I later found out that someone else called right after me, rushed down and bought it.

The breakdown of used FJRs seems to be something like this (completely non-scientific):

2003 - 4%

2004 - 1%

2005 - 80%

2006 - 10%

2007 - 5%

I'm wondering why there are so many '05s on the market. Are these folks trading up to Gen 2 bikes? If so, why are '04s so scarce? I realize that there were about 1000 more '05s sold than '04s, but that doesn't seem to explain it. I personally love the color of the '04 and am not fond of the '05, but can this be the reason for the disparity? Am I missing something?

I'm probably going to wait until I can afford a Gen 2 bike. In the meantime I'll be lurking...

Rick

Duuuuhhh. Kalifornia. uhhh!!

Nuf said

RickJ., what u probably won`t hear from the sellers of pre 06 feejrs, is the fact that the 1st generation bikes were hot as hell to ride...as in sitting on a blast furnace. Go ahead: ask me how I know! The 2nd gen. bikes are a whole new world...stay away from the 1st. :assassin:
Have to say that not all gen1 bikes have heat issues. Lots of factors are involved including what gear is used. Personally my 03 doesn't generate any more heat than my Connie did and no where as much as my Enfield. Keep in mind that you are holding an internal combustion engine next to your balls so a bit of heat is to be expected.
You are assuming he has balls. As everyone knows, the blue in '05 is the fastest color. In fact it was too fast for those without balls, so in '06 they changed to a slightly slower blue. Apparently, the legal department said it wasn't enough of a change and they had to stop making blue all together. You will find many '05s for sale because the extra power is more than most mortals can handle. So they sell them and buy one they can handle.

Sincerely,

:Snorkle: :bike:

I'm going to keep my'05 for a while longer, then I'm going to buy another '05 with less miles!

I've already got all the farkles, so why wouldn't I?

Yamaha is going to have to do a lot more to upgrade the Feej than they did with the Gen II before I'll part with my '05. Oh, an I have no plans to swap out for a new Connie or BMW K13, either. WBill

do you know what they're ask'n for the R1? not in the market - but curious.

i love that color scheme - if i ever repaint my 08 feej - the yammy yellow & white (using my raven black for stripes) is on my short list of options.

Wow. You mean she still lets you ride it?
:****:
Yes, squid, she still "lets" me ride it. Just because you can't keep a woman doesn't mean the rest of us are all fucked up.

:****:

IMG_1162.jpg

I am a proud owner of a 05 monster. Show me a 1300 with no heat ,The heat for me is a non issue . How about this . What bike if giving for free would you go for a 05 or a 09 both with ZERO MILES ?

Having owned an 03, 06 & 08 I can tell you the 06 and newer is a much more refined bike in a number of ways the most noticeable being the heat issues. The 08 is also said to have an improved ABS system but I do not know that for sure.

Whoa there. That's a big generalization there, if'n I ever saw one. Ain't no way in hell I'm gonna let you off that easy on a Friday!!! So you're gonna have t' explain what all these grand improvements were.

Of course you are comparing the 2nd gens to an '03, which isn't really representative of most of the 1st gens (less than 1/4th of 1st gens were made in '03). They did have a couple of improvements made for the later 1st gens ('04s and '05s) like bigger brake disks, front turn signals integrated, added the locking glove box, ABS available.

So, aside from the big heat thing, which many of us find as a non-issue, what was so much more refined?

I am a proud owner of a 05 monster. Show me a 1300 with no heat ,The heat for me is a non issue . How about this . What bike if giving for free would you go for a 05 or a 09 both with ZERO MILES ?
Clearly an '09 is worth more $$ since it is several years newer. But how much more is it worth to you is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice instrument panel. I for one much prefer the gen I instrument panel to the gen II bikes. Heat gauge? At 3 it's getting hot, at 4 the fans come on. Never saw 5. Easy. Gen II's added too many bars to the fuel and temp gauge. I know I'll get used to it but they did not make it simpler, just tiny.